996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbocharger oil feed check valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
sometimes the checke valve is bad and the oil drips down when the car is off- the CV is supposed to stop that from happening.. I have seen that a few times..
but what I really have seen more often then blown seals, is oil over fill and thus the oil blows thru the seals... OR, when guys have bad check valves on top of the Plenum behind the TB and your actually pressuring the oil passage- hence you hear air in the oil catch cans when your doing a pressure test... etc...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
^_ I'm going to check both things, and let you guys know

Old 10-28-2016, 11:38 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Oil in the intercooler pipes on a turbo car is 100% normal due to blow by from positive crank case pressure. For emissions it's also routed back to the intake tract. Remove this and run either no check valve (PCV) and run a catch can or just a tube to the ground.

Smoke on startup I would also agree is 100% normal. I have never seen a P car that didn't puff a tiny bit of smoke. If oil was leaking past the turbo seals it would smoke all the time.

Last edited by s65e90; 10-28-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
Oil in the intercooler pipes on a turbo car is 100% normal due to blow by from positive crank case pressure. For emissions it's also routed back to the intake tract. Remove this and run either no check valve and run a catch can or just a tube to the ground.

Smoke on startup I would also agree is 100% normal. I have never seen a P car that didn't puff a tiny bit of smoke. If oil was leaking past the turbo seals it would smoke all the time.
i completely disagree with this. remove the check valve and oil gravity feeds from the feed line fills up the drain tank and pushes past the seals in the chra. the turbos are the lowest point. a check valve is mandatory! from k24 to tial 3071 i never have had oil in the i/c. went to 7163 borg warner and didnt install c/v, the turbos were full of oil in days. added the c/v back burned off the oil residue and no oil is now present.

oil only leaks past the seals on shutdown without c/v unless the turbo is blown. once the oil is burnt off it wont smoke any more.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i completely disagree with this. remove the check valve and oil gravity feeds from the feed line fills up the drain tank and pushes past the seals in the chra. the turbos are the lowest point. a check valve is mandatory! from k24 to tial 3071 i never have had oil in the i/c. went to 7163 borg warner and didnt install c/v, the turbos were full of oil in days. added the c/v back burned off the oil residue and no oil is now present.

oil only leaks past the seals on shutdown without c/v unless the turbo is blown. once the oil is burnt off it wont smoke any more.
Oil in the intercooler pipes have nothing to do with the check valves you're referring to. Excessive crankcase pressure pushes oil into the intake tract, esp. when the emissions routes it this way.

I'm not saying remove the check valve for the turbo itself, sorry if that's construed. But I will stand by the fact that due to the design, most every P car I know has a puff of smoke on startup. And it's not all the time either.

Oil is found in the intake tract, and is exacerbated on a turbo car where it sees + pressure

Last edited by s65e90; 10-28-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
Oil in the intercooler pipes have nothing to do with the check valves you're referring to. Excessive crankcase pressure pushes oil into the intake tract, esp. when the emissions routes it this way.

I'm not saying remove the check valve for the turbo itself, sorry if that's construed. But I will stand by the fact that due to the design, most every P car I know has a puff of smoke on startup. And it's not all the time either.

Oil is found in the intake tract, and is exacerbated on a turbo car where it sees + pressure
oil in the i/c has everything to do with c/v. i have personally seen close to a pint of oil drain out of a i/c lower piping from lack of c/v.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
oil in the i/c has everything to do with c/v. i have personally seen close to a pint of oil drain out of a i/c lower piping from lack of c/v.

Agreed, but not the one I'm talking about. Let's get back to original statement of oil in intercooler piping. It's a byproduct of owning a turbo car, plain and simple and is exacerbated through the PCV setup and emissions which routes it back into the intake tract. Running a catch can solves this issue. It was stated that oil shouldn't be in the piping but that's totally normal. The slight puff of smoke sometimes is no doubt due to the engine/turbo setup/placement.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like its getting nicer outside, I still would like check on the CV, i believe I need to purchase PB Blaster to even try to get that CV's out, also theres another CV behind throttle body? can you guys post some pic/diagram, would really be thank full for that.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 AM
I replaced entire plenum 2 years ago. so I can scratch that off my list. Yeah, never been off, That's what i'm worrying about, i'll try to use pbblaster and see if i can get it off to inspect it...if not I guess that's what i'm gonna do, thanks for the pic:

so when i replace the line, it should look like this...correct?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM
omegarex is an unknown quantity at this point
This maybe a dumb question, but where do you buy the braided lines?

Follow up question, I currently have oil in my lower i/c pipes, will replacing the oil check valve on the turbos fix that issue?

Last edited by omegarex; 03-11-2019 at 09:45 AM.