996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT suspension setup for track/road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:13 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 993GT
what locking ratio/preload did he go with? IIRC, he was building a drag/mile car?
you want that locking preload for chassis stability...while the Torsen/Wavetrac/Quiafe/etc diff works well for Vette/Mustang/fwd/etc cars, the 911's typically do not want a 'free wheeling' diff, again for handling/track setup. Wavetrac would probably do well for autocross.
I'll leave it at that
wavetrac doesn't free wheel under zero load like the rest of the torsen style diffs. That is what makes it work so well. Also provides load under braking. Only thing it can't do is lock 100% but it can get very close.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
There is absolutely nothing harsh about a LSD. It's on every Porsche GT and Cup car from the factory. The street units have a very mild preload, less than 10lbs if I recall. Properly set up the Guard unit is seamless even in tight turns. I have a 40/60 unit (same as 6Cup) set up with a pretty heavy preload (about 80lbs) and it's a non issue even when used on the street. Zero noise, zero chatter. If OP is chasing time and looking for the most capable road course LSD, I would recommend a true locking clutch type diff (Guard/Cup/OEMw/Guard guts) as an optimal track choice.

Since the OP is a road course guy looking to optimize his track set up, he needs to simply go to his local track and ask what the fastest 996/997 cars are running. 99% will have true locking clutch type LSDs, period. That's an indisputable fact and in no way meant to knock the highly regarded wave track that many street/straight line guys here are using. They are very good diffs for a different target market.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-26-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
this is an agree to disagree . heres a video or 2 that shows the capability of the wavetrac. not saying its better just saying its an alternative. not apples to apples but you get the idea

Old 12-26-2016, 06:21 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
this is an agree to disagree . heres a video or 2 that shows the capability of the wavetrac. not saying its better just saying its an alternative. not apples to apples but you get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBE5U6eRaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4B0wjfDrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RzDcJGDZE
No one is saying that a wavetrack is not capable. It clearly is but the optimal set up on a front weight bias car like a mustang or a bmw will be totally different from the optimal set up on a rear weight bias Porsche. Not to say I know anything about mustangs, because I don't, but as I said before, go see what race teams or the fastest guys are using on rear engined Porsches at the track. Like it or not, that's what tells the real story. Wanna find out what works best on a straight line car? Go see what the fastest guys are using at the drag strip. Simple as that. Not really any different than picking a specific turbo for a specific application. Different types of turbos will get the job done, some better than others...

Last edited by pwdrhound; 12-26-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
again john im not talking about optimum setup. its clear from the o/p first post he has stock sways, pss10 and mainly does d/e events. i would guess its far from a dedicated track car. with that in mind until he upgrades almost everything he currently has in the car a full lsd would be like running big turbos turned down because you have no fueling. it works but far from optimal. i dont think you started out in a full on track car but upgraded various parts as your skillset and quest for times grew. that being said the half the cost still very functional t/b lsd may be exactly what he needs at his level of performance. once he surpasses that setup a guard may fit the bill.

just my .02 as i never lay claim to being a road racer but see the needs of each sport the same

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.