996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cracked carbon fiber upper windshield defrost trims, ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:37 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Cracked carbon fiber upper windshield defrost trims, ideas?

Hi fellow 6Speeders,

I have 2 carbon fiber defrost rims directly next to the windshield (they look like 2 hockey sticks) along with an otherwise good condition fiber carbon interior package. One of the carbon fiber defrost trims cracked a few months ago when I tried to apply adhesive and tape, IIRC I pushed too hard on the carbon fiber to get it in place. The other side has a slight crack as well.

Been thinking of replacing these. Sunset Porsche has these at $850 a piece! No way I'm going to spend $1700 for 2 pieces of elective trim.

Then I found these today: https://directcartrim.com/1999-2004-...-trim-set.html

Has anyone tried the trims from directcartrim.com?

Other thought I had in mind was to just remove the 2 defroster trims and leave it at that. Would this look "weird" and not OEM?

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
i think i'm gonna remove mine. Mine are warped all to hell

Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 PM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
I had the same issue and bought stock black plastic defroster trim from Suncoast.
I believe it was around 150 for the left and right sides.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 PM
cgunsch will become famous soon enoughcgunsch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by levinsje
I had the same issue and bought stock black plastic defroster trim from Suncoast.
I did the same with my wood trim.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 PM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by docboy
This looks really interesting. I hope someone has tried this option. Mine is crappy looking too, but I have the boxster red interior and Porsche wants some insaine amount of money for them. (more than the normal black interior + carbon)

Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by levinsje
Originally Posted by cgunsch
I did the same with my wood trim.
Thanks for the tip. Are these the trims you bought?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X6DEFTRIM.html

My CF defroster trims look like hockey sticks and they don't look like the trim in above link; the ones in the above link extends down to the vent, mine does not. Here is a pic of mine, as you can see passenger side looks like crap. Driver's side little better shape...

Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Refinish them - about one hour and under $20

I did mine years ago and they have held up perfectly for about 4 years now...The clear coat sheeted right off in under 5 minutes, leaving perfect uncleared carbon fiber ready for refinishing. I set them on plywood, raised by the foam double sided tape to get the edges good and eliminate any sticking to the wood and then shot them with about 20 coats of spray can clear to get thickness like OEM. Light Sand every few coats. You can not tell they are not OEM and they look new. Literally under $20 spent on this...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 01-19-2017, 10:13 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
^^^ What he said, but use epoxy as that's what's most likely covering them. Then you can clear if you want but epoxy (with UV) is the best bet. I have fixed a bunch of cracked carbon pieces. You can make it perfect.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:51 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Great info guys thanks!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by s65e90
^^^ What he said, but use epoxy as that's what's most likely covering them. Then you can clear if you want but epoxy (with UV) is the best bet. I have fixed a bunch of cracked carbon pieces. You can make it perfect.
So for the cracked CF areas, one would use epoxy to glue them back together?

Do you have link to what type of expoxy to use?

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Refinish them - about one hour and under $20

I did mine years ago and they have held up perfectly for about 4 years now...The clear coat sheeted right off in under 5 minutes, leaving perfect uncleared carbon fiber ready for refinishing. I set them on plywood, raised by the foam double sided tape to get the edges good and eliminate any sticking to the wood and then shot them with about 20 coats of spray can clear to get thickness like OEM. Light Sand every few coats. You can not tell they are not OEM and they look new. Literally under $20 spent on this...
John, what type of spray did you use?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
No, remove all the clear from the carbon strip. In my case, it all flaked off easily by bending the carbon piece on the edge of a counter and pulling downward, once it's off the car. The clear stays straight and separates from the carbon as the carbon is pulled downward. It only took a few pulls and all the clear was off. I was surprised at the ease it separated. Next I used an off the shelf spray can of clear with UV protection built in, but I don't recall the brand.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
No, remove all the clear from the carbon strip. In my case, it all flaked off easily by bending the carbon piece on the edge of a counter and pulling downward, once it's off the car. The clear stays straight and separates from the carbon as the carbon is pulled downward. It only took a few pulls and all the clear was off. I was surprised at the ease it separated. Next I used an off the shelf spray can of clear with UV protection built in, but I don't recall the brand.
I think I might take off the 2 trims for starters. I used a combo of "auto superglue" and small sections of 3m double sided tape (no where near the amount you used as shown by your pic). Any tips on how to remove the trim? I have a set of nylon trim remover. Should I use that to "pry" off the trim?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
John,
Does the clear coat flex enough that you can lay the finished pieces back on the dash and follow the contour? The dash isn't flat as the plywood.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by docboy
I think I might take off the 2 trims for starters. I used a combo of "auto superglue" and small sections of 3m double sided tape (no where near the amount you used as shown by your pic). Any tips on how to remove the trim? I have a set of nylon trim remover. Should I use that to "pry" off the trim?
Yes, just pry off carefully, working it from one end to the other being careful not to damage the leather around it. The carbon itself is pretty tough. As long as you don't go crazy, it should survive fine.

That white double sided tape was just to hold it up for the painting, not for the installation. I ended up using 2 or 3 layers of wide width, but thin double sided carpet tape and then trimmed the excess that overhung the carbon pieces with a razor knife. It has not lifted since and was a very simple install.

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 01-20-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by uschoice
John,
Does the clear coat flex enough that you can lay the finished pieces back on the dash and follow the contour? The dash isn't flat as the plywood.
Yes, with new clear coat my pieces were extremely flexible with no cracking. I think it gets brittle with age and sun. New, it flexes "a lot" without any issues.

2022 Cayenne White

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.