996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine rebuild parts question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 PM
motogman is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine rebuild parts question

I have some questions on recommended parts and experience for the rebuild of a 996TT motor. Without going into some of the slightly sordid and embarassing details, suffice it to say, I have a good professional Indy doing the engine rebuild but what we thought he was starting with... one known broken motor and a thought to be good motor has not been quite as expected.

The engine has GT2 Turbos, a chip (thought to be somewhere around 600hp), upgraded exhaust and breather. Already bought Pauter rods as one was broken... and had some work done on the crank.

So beside any advice and recommendations from this fantastic forum, here are my specific questions...

1) we expected a good set of pistons & liners but at this point we are considering repacing those as well. What recommendations?

2) If you are doing the pistons and cylinders, my builder thought that 3.8L kit might be about the same and worth considering. Is a 3.8L set a direct replacement? What other issues and changes have to be made if you go with 3.8s?

3) Is there a gasket, seal, oring kit for the 996TT or do you have to buy all the parts separately? If separate does someone have a list they would share? Are the standard gaskets fine or is there something else to consider?

4) What about bearings? Are the stock bearings fine or... other recommendations?

I look for any comments and advice as this progresses.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.