996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OBDII sensor and Oil temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
OBDII sensor and Oil temp

I bought a kiwi3 bluetooth OBD hookup and have it paired to my ipad mini 4 in dash. I have OBD car doctor and Harry's Lap timer. I also have a durametric. It has been shown that the durametric can access and log oil temperature, but none of the other programs can display it. There is even a place in harry's for coolant and oil, the oil just stays blank!

I've googled all the usual sites, without any luck. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this work?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:07 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I pull and display oil temp off CAN bus..

Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 AM
jdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to beholdjdexter is a splendid one to behold
Can you explain how? Is this the same as the post on rennlist?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:08 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jdexter
I didn't do the wiring on my car but we are feeding the CAN bus signal into Motec and have the option of selecting what we want at that point.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:04 PM
So the only way seems to hijack the readings off the sensor. Ugh. Oh well, turns out it won't matter for guys like me 90% street anyway.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jdexter
Probably means the oil temp is a CAN message that is sent over the CAN (Komfort) bus occasionally.

With the right device connected to the OBD2 port connector and able to monitor CAN bus traffic and recognize the oil temp CAN message and parse it and then through some I guess DAC drive an oil temperature gage (or just supply a temperature number to be displayed on say a smart phone LCD running an app that can communicate with the OBD2 port device) one can have oil temperature.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Exactly.

I have no idea what a "kiwi3" is or does, but any inexpensive OBD2 bluetooth adapter should be seen as trial and error in every application. You are taking one company's hardware (OBD2 adapter), connecting to another company's sw (whatever app) through another company's hard-/software interface (phone or tab). Sometimes everyone follows the standards and it works - sometimes it doesn't.

Products that are guaranteed to work cost more.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Oil temp is indeed on the CAN bus, oil pressure isn't - it's analog and wired to the sender in the back on the 996. Standalone guys get to deal with this too lol

Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Oil temp is indeed on the CAN bus, oil pressure isn't - it's analog and wired to the sender in the back on the 996. Standalone guys get to deal with this too lol
Correct, oil pressure is a standalone sensor on the 996 cars. We installed a Motec oil pressure sensor on the back of the filter housing in order to get an oil pressure read out. As previously mentioned, oil temp comes from CAN.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Correct, oil pressure is a standalone sensor on the 996 cars. We installed a Motec oil pressure sensor on the back of the filter housing in order to get an oil pressure read out. As previously mentioned, oil temp comes from CAN.
Any additional details on the additional sensor install? I'm interested in doing this myself as my ECU doesn't have oil pressure being fed to it. Did you modify the filter housing or space out the existing sensor? I'd like to keep the existing gauge working.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Any additional details on the additional sensor install? I'm interested in doing this myself as my ECU doesn't have oil pressure being fed to it. Did you modify the filter housing or space out the existing sensor? I'd like to keep the existing gauge working.
I'll take picture of it tomorrow or the day after and post them up.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
What I've done with other cars is to install a large brass T where the OEM oil pressure sensor screws into the block.

This is the sensor that just provides enough signal or whatever to either extinguish a low oil pressure warning light or cause it to light up.

Then in one of the T arms install the original pressure sensor and in the other install the high resolution oil pressure sensor and run the pressure sensor tube (a very small diameter nylon tube in this case) through the dash and to the oil pressure gage mounted in the cabin.

Could be the newer sensors might supply a voltage signal that the gage converters into a pressure reading, so there is no line/tube with oil in it coming from the sensor.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Yup, exactly what I'd like to do but I'm interested in what's being used to make the connections and where to find it. Sensor is metric right?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Yup, exactly what I'd like to do but I'm interested in what's being used to make the connections and where to find it. Sensor is metric right?
What I recall is the threaded hole in the block the sensor threaded into and into which I threaded the T was good old American pipe thread. But this was decades ago.

Who knows what Porsche uses? And who knows what the sensor thread will be?

Could be pipe thread. Pipe thread is a pretty good thread for fittings that see fluid/gases under pressure. But you'll have to examine the sensor thread and see what type of thread it has.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Here is the oil pressure sensor hook up. Can't really tell what kind of fitting was used as it is in the back of the oil filter housing. I suspect it is simply screwed into the same place where the OEM sensor was.

Oil pressure sensor with connector in the rear

Fitting in the rear of the oil filter housing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.