996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Buying your old car back, Yay or nay?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Buying your old car back, Yay or nay?

Some of you might remember me a little. New business venture etc, sold some "toys."

Well I heard the guy that bought my 996 from me may sell it. I loved that car and regretted selling it. Bought cheaper built turbo vette to satisfy my power hunger...ended up putting a new motor in it and now the bad luck just leaves me a little sour on it.

So I am going to put the vette up for sale.

I dont think the current guy has put a lot of miles on it, but doubt ANY maintenance has been done either. He wrapped it satin white...which is sort of cool I guess and put some ugly porsche lettering and badge on the back. None of which cant be easily removed.

I always said I would make the jump to a 997 next, but prices have gone up on the 996s and 997 haven't fallen as much as I thought, so getting back into my car would definitely be cheaper. Mods are mostly done too.

Or do I just be patient and wait a bit longer to get into a 997?

SHHH (He said he'd sell it for the same price he bought it) Would it be weird of me to require a PPI being that I doubt ANY maintenance or anything has been done?

Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Yeah I wouldn't do a PPI . I never do, but especially on a car that was mine. This is a question only you can answer.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stilov
Some of you might remember me a little. New business venture etc, sold some "toys."

Well I heard the guy that bought my 996 from me may sell it. I loved that car and regretted selling it. Bought cheaper built turbo vette to satisfy my power hunger...ended up putting a new motor in it and now the bad luck just leaves me a little sour on it.

So I am going to put the vette up for sale.

I dont think the current guy has put a lot of miles on it, but doubt ANY maintenance has been done either. He wrapped it satin white...which is sort of cool I guess and put some ugly porsche lettering and badge on the back. None of which cant be easily removed.

I always said I would make the jump to a 997 next, but prices have gone up on the 996s and 997 haven't fallen as much as I thought, so getting back into my car would definitely be cheaper. Mods are mostly done too.

Or do I just be patient and wait a bit longer to get into a 997?

SHHH (He said he'd sell it for the same price he bought it) Would it be weird of me to require a PPI being that I doubt ANY maintenance or anything has been done?
If you want the car treat it as you would any used car. Give it a thorough used car check out. Road test and you know the rest. Then either a PPI or at least arrange to get the car on a lift *after* the road test and check for leaks and other problems.

No maintenance? Was the car's maintenance up to date when you sold the car? What's due now if not on miles on time?

Generally once I sell a car I'm finished with the car. I don't want it back even though the car was well maintained and in good condition.

My advice would be if you want another Porsche wait until you can get a 997.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
PPI is always a good idea. Who knows what could have happened!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
How long ago and how many miles ago did you sell it?

I had a 911 cab I had traded in and then a year later found for sale online by a private seller, so I set up a time to go look at it thinking I might get it back for a good deal. There weren't many miles added, but a cat had used the top as a scratching post, the airbag lights were on, the side skirt was cracked, the seat had a tear - the dude that bought it was in over his head and neglected everything on the poor car. He couldn't have paid me to take it off his hands.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
I sold in nov of 2015, it is now wrapped matte white and has decals on the rear like the new porsches do. I think he said it had about 2500 miles on it, but I have a couple hesitations, they are un founded so I hate put them here in case he ends up listing it.

I don't feel like its fair to detract buyers, over some "premonitions" Basically he has other cars and I don't think he has driven it much but he made a comment about a friend using it or something.

I think I'd lean towards a PPI...and while I HAVE turned wrenches...I don't want anymore. I just put a new motor, suspension, turbos, wiring, alternator, starter, and AC system and some brake line stuff done. AND I paid for it Which is why it cost so flipping much money. I basically bought the vette twice.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
To me the answer is no, go for something different and broaden your horizons...even if that means waiting for a 997tt. With some hard searching, there are some really good deals out there right now.

Unless I was in a position to own a dozen cars, I wouldn't re-buy a model I've already owned and driven (regardless of if it were the exact car or not). If I were, I'd probably buy back every car you see in my signature, but it would always have to be in addition to something new

Last edited by DSCOFF; 04-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i agree with the 'you know your car" sentiment..and what could the guy you sold it to really have done to harm it? probably not much.

one drive and you'll "know". welcome back and good for you, if you get it back.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
get the car back, yours was running awesome...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 AM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
I would be weary of a buyer that wants to sell it so quickly. Just my paranoid side.

And plus the fact that it's not stock, a ton could happen to a 600hp car that's not taken care of etc. All it would take is that "buddy" that borrowed it to put in a tank of 87 octane or something.

That being said, I completely get the desire to buy it back. I would just give it a thorough once over and probably have it scoped to make sure it's all good internally. If it were me, I would try to buy it back for less than you sold it for. Any miles will depreciate these cars, and who knows how hard those miles were.

Or as others said, move on to a 997tt. They are just enough different to be different, but similar in that you could build the 997 to be just how your 996 was before. Either way, welcome back to thinking about being an owner!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Good points, although they are the ones that are fighting in my head already.

I didn't really want to leave ownership in the first place, thats why I have been through 3 cars since...try to settle. Then with two of those "settles" popping motors, I cant even say it was financially beneficial to sell the 996 anymore LOL!.

There I go thinking I was making a "responsible" decision.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Go drive it, have a look. You'll know immediately if you want to hook back up with her or let her stay in the past

Old 04-27-2017, 11:44 AM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Check it out thoroughly and re-think the pricing.
Their use has to cost something, $1 a mile seems reasonable, and these are not easy to sell.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM
05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of05Mdriver has much to be proud of
Re-buys are really tough.. you go in with the mentality of the car being as clean as when you sold it.. but often its ruined quickly and easily.

I had an incredible 12k mile M3 time capsule that the guy ruined in 1 year and 6k miles. Brand new rear michelin tires were bald.. the car had been driven in winter.. and the side backed into and all dented up.

I was pretty heartbroken.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
In most cases, buying your old car back is like bangin' your ex. Seems like a great idea at the time only to wake up the next morning and realize "what have I done???!".

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.