996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just joined the wing malfunction crew. Have a question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Rebuild is easy, my driver side failed. I picked up some batteries so I could operate the rams outside of the car. The fluid they use oem might as well be acid esp when you get it on the paint. The rebleed works, but if you don't replace the washers going to the ram from hose you will be in the same boat. I used a 50/50 hydraulic and Lucas power steering stop leak. Daves solution is the way to go hands down, but if your looking to diy it can be done easily in under an hour.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting note on the Lucas leak stop: it takes weeks to a month to work sometimes. It works by swelling the o-ring material and it takes some time. I have used it on my BMW X5 power steering, the PS on my Volvo Penta boat steering and my 996 wing lift. They all leaked a little after putting it in and then sealed up. I bled the wing lift twice because of some issues with the motor coupling coming loose, but now it has been a year without a drop of oil on the bottom of the rams. If it is gong up uneven, this is what ultimately breaks the plastic block inside of the motor/pump unit. Fix it before you break it.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:37 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
uneven, yet still functional deployment is a sure sign of low hydraulic ( pentosin ) fluid. i've re-bled mine with success on this car twice in 7 years with 50/50 pent and lucas stop leak. when the last one failed for lack of fluid, porsche paid to replace the entire system.

i'd sure try to refill the rams per porsche's guidelines, before i replaced the whole system. but, to each their own.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:22 PM
billygoat80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do the ram upgrade

+1 for replacement with the erams. I don't find them to look thin, most times people only ask how I was able to raise it that high, not about the shaft....there's a joke there somewhere. I have the tallest kit with the high speed option.. Now I don't worry about it anymore, especially the fire hazard.

Originally Posted by BauerR
I'm going to do a fix. Just not sure if I wanna do Dave's electric approach or Kevin's rebuild of the factory pistons.
I like Dave's permanent fix but don't like the thin rod look.
I like the factory look because it's beefier but hate that I'm gonna have to rebuild it again.

Not sure what I'm gonna do.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:54 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
My wing errors have been on for a year. I know it's going to happen one of these day.
Now it happened. My wing deployed on the freeway and the passenger side did not deployed. Both sides are stuck! I can't even use the manual buttons. I am hoping it's just the one side is broken or need more pentosoi

Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Either you are short of fluid which would just require a top up or the block that pushes the rods for the rams is broken. See here: Broken Piece

Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Anyone have a quick link to adding fluid?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:48 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 PM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Slider
Either you are short of fluid which would just require a top up or the block that pushes the rods for the rams is broken. See here: Broken Piece
It's a tough one to figure out. The manual button don't do anything when pressed. No noise from the wing. The wing just stuck. Will probably disassemble when I get the chance. At the moment I just loosen up the bottom bolts cylinders to bring down both sides of the wing.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bansasn
It's a tough one to figure out. The manual button don't do anything when pressed. No noise from the wing. The wing just stuck. Will probably disassemble when I get the chance. At the moment I just loosen up the bottom bolts cylinders to bring down both sides of the wing.
fuse?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
No, then the lid latch or light wouldn't work either.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
No, then the lid latch or light wouldn't work either.
True.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 PM
rickjaffe is on a distinguished road
have a question:
I've had the light go on for a year, at least. If I manually put the wing up, the pull the microswitches will the wing just stay up? I've topped off the fluid and that's not the problem and both sides go up, albeit, one is alittle slower than the other. I'm happy with the wing in the up position, as long as it will stay up.
will it? or will the wing lower when I disconnect one or both micro switches?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rickjaffe
I've topped off the fluid and that's not the problem and both sides go up, albeit, one is alittle slower than the other. I'm happy with the wing in the up position, as long as it will stay up.
if i were you - and based upon my experience with having them re-bled - ..

the condition you have characterized, merely suggests you have not pressurized the system adequately for both side rams to raise equally. it is a daunting process even for those that have done it countless times. try more pentosin!

think of it as when you flush the coolant system... e.g. simply adding the suggested amount of coolant in one "try", is never "exactly" right and one must add coolant until the system is pressurized and the amount of coolant is normalized. this is where i believe you are, with your spoiler hydraulics.

i have a bag of eBay bolts to fix your wing in the up position, if you're interested? i've had them in the box as delivered to me, for the 8 plus years that adding fluid has kept my oem spoiler functional.

8 ball says "try again"

Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by bansasn
your rams ( and their hydraulic system, such as it is.. ) is completely devoid of pentosin. if you haven't burnt out the system ( which you probably have not ) you can still add fluid to restore the wings functionality.

though it is not a process ( at least, for the first thru 3rd time ) for the faint of heart.

it's a fairly *delicate* hydraulic system that requires fluid, on occasion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.