996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt suddenly has a coolant leak from drivers side rear: 1st post help 🙏🏼

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Manual996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
996tt suddenly has a coolant leak from drivers side rear: 1st post help 🙏🏼

Hi guys,

I am totally stumped as to where this leak is coming from. I hope the Photo shows up since this is my first post on this forum. I have not had any major problems with this car but this leak is stumping me. I have owned this car for about 18 months, and it has been an absolute delight. I hope somebody has had the same spot that would indicate which hose or connection is leaking. Thanks so much for your help in advance and I know there are a lot of threads on this topic but I wanted to detail where the leak is coming from, since there are so many different options for where this leak could be originating .

This is taken from the back driver side behind the back tire. The first sign of leak

is dripping off both sides of a bracket where one of the belt pulleys are.

The belt wheel or pulley that you see below the intake, that is where the bracket sits (under it). The coolant is pooling up there and I cannot find anything higher that is wet. I need mini ninja hands and my hands are not big. Neither are my feet... ****, the trend continues 3/3

Old 07-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
Pull the y pipe and you'll be able to see a few of the infamous coolant pipes and see if they are loose or leaking

Old 07-08-2017, 05:04 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Kind of looks like the water pump may have started to fail. It will leak and drip down in that area from around the pulley when the bearing starts to go. Take it apart, otherwise it's guessing.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Manual996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a bunch! I did not want to tear too far into it, but I will peel back another layer. Cheers

Old 07-08-2017, 11:04 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Looks like a water pump issue to me as well.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:41 PM
jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Looks like a water pump issue to me as well.
Coolant expansion tank?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Water pump has a weephole in that area, when it fails it leaks from there. Did that a couple of years ago on mine. Not a fun job, but not it isn't the worst thing to do.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Happy reading and good luck....it's a PITA.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...m-failure.html

Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
As Jayzbird said it could be the coolant expansion tank. Do you find it leaking after you park it and can smell the coolant? That's how mine behaved and it was the coolant expansion tank. Not horrible to change and not really expensive either.
Good luck.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM
r6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to allr6vr6 is a name known to all
There is a little " puke hose " over in that area for coolant. I put a different exhaust on and I routed the hose a little wrong so it would put a drop or 2 on the cat after driving it. I though I had a cooling system problem because I could smell the sweet coolant smell. I rerouted the hose and now the drop or to that sometime may come out go to the ground instead of my cat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.