996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My Experience - SpeedTech Exhaust Installed Today & EPL Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
My Experience - SpeedTech Exhaust Installed Today & EPL Flash

Guys,

I had to post this tonight - as today I installed the SpeedTech X-flow exhaust I found here on the forum - thanks to the post by Gearhead several months ago.

I am simply blown away by how good the exhaust flows and sounds. Combined with my EPL Tune (Thanks to Tony, Woosh and the guys at Music City P&A) - my car pulls like - well, it scares me a little.

You HAVE to hear this exhaust. I know all things are personal - but I am confident that this is the absolute BEST SOUNDING exhaust system I have ever heard on a TT (and that's quite a lot). It purrs quietly with gentle driving, sounds throaty and aggressive with the beautiful sound of your turbos winding up with a moderate pedal, and screams gloriously at WOT!!! Seriously - this exhaust sounds like a GT3RS - on a TT! Nothing else I can say that describes it better. I detect no drone (even though my friend Woosh says all drone some).

The X-flow is extremely well made too. I installed it today - along with a buddy - in about 3 hours. Could have been much faster if it weren't for just taking the time to be meticulous and cautious. The engineering on the system is TOP NOTCH. Every piece fits as it should - and I am very particular. Its beautiful.

Sorry to sound like an "informercial" for John D and Chad - but I believe its well deserved. This exhaust, coupled with Tony's EPL Tune makes for one hell of a TT experience - yet still very drivable. Scott has been awesome to work with - very good communication and lots of informations shared. I am so happy I read Gearhead's original post and checked in with Scott!

Well done Scott, Chad & Tony!! My car has been reborn!

I will post some videos when I can - although they never seem to do much for me.

Steve

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Always great to hear good results. Thanks for posting.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Told ya, it's freakin great.
Spread the gospel my brother.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Porscheart is on a distinguished road
Sounds like what I am looking for with my 2003 996tt something a bit more exotic with added power.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
One of the best feelings in this business is to get an email from a new customer that says this...

John,

You guys have created one sweet-sweet sounding exhaust, my man. I mean sweet!!! Its about as close to a GT3 as you could possibly get. And like you said - no drone. You can clearly hear the turbos when its not screaming at WOT. Either way - it sounds glorious.
Steve also mentioned to me that the exhaust exceeded his expectations, which I have heard before and that is exactly what we strive for...

Thanks for the nice write up and compliments, Steve. I truly appreciate it! Now it's time for you to enjoy that exhaust!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscheart
Sounds like what I am looking for with my 2003 996tt something a bit more exotic with added power.
Porscheart, we made one extra 2.5 on the last run, so I have one in stock if you are interested...shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Chad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really nice
Steve- Glad to hear you are enjoying the exhaust/flash combo. Thank you very much for the great feedback, it means a lot to us! Enjoy.

Chad

facebook
YouTube see our videos

Email-Chad@speedtechexhausts.com
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Nice, One of my favorites for sure. Enjoy you car Steve!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
That's great OP.

I have a question for the guys at speedtech. I was watching the videos of the yellow TT 996. Whats the key to hearing those turbos spool up like that? My sound like a dumb question but I loved it. There's a video of the 996 just pulling in and out of the garage. You can hear them pretty good and I like it!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by OhioC5
That's great OP.

I have a question for the guys at speedtech. I was watching the videos of the yellow TT 996. Whats the key to hearing those turbos spool up like that? My sound like a dumb question but I loved it. There's a video of the 996 just pulling in and out of the garage. You can hear them pretty good and I like it!
No cats and 3" pipes. I'm sure you'll still get some turbo sound with race cats and smaller pipes but bigger is always better

Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by OhioC5
That's great OP.

Hi Ohio,

Yea, I like it too - it's a cool sound!

It's all in the design of the system. First of all, we use a very high flow 100 cell cat - that alone makes a huge difference vs. other cats. Then we utilize 3" pipe after the cat to the muffler to keep the flow high right to the muffler. From the muffler on is where the difference lies in our 2.5 quiet vs. 3.0 loud. The video you are referencing is a 3.0 loud that displays a little more of the turbo spool sound than out 2.5, but the 2.5 still has the same sound and it can be heard while driving the car at part throttle - at WOT the GT3 type wail takes over.

Additionally, our X-cellerator exhaust system has an engineered sound which is designed to bring out and enhance these attributes you are hearing in the video. We did extensive testing of the various "X-Flow designs", tip shapes & sizes, etc. to arrive at a "sound" we felt was the best we could achieve. Not all X-Pipe systems are created equal - we had several versions and alternate designs that just didn't sound very good - they were certainly better than conventional muffler designs, but not the holy grail we had in mind and were trying to achieve. There is more to making a great sounding exhaust than getting a welder to fab an "X" and put in-line mufflers and some sort of expanded metal tip on it. We have done that and it was not our final pick. When I see people doing this I think that it looks like a fun project, but in many instances, I feel they would do better sound-wise by purchasing an engineered system like we offer...only because we have been there and done that. I kind of know how many of these systems will sound...as we tested basically the same thing during our product development.

So what is the key? That was the long answer - the short answer is a system designed to enhance those sounds - most systems either stifle them with restrictive parts or overpower them with volume. That is where R&D testing comes into play as a real value.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Still waiting to give you my feedback on a TIP, if my car passes the vehicle metriculation test it will be on next Wednesday, otherwise another month !

Old 03-05-2012, 01:50 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Hi Ohio,

Yea, I like it too - it's a cool sound!

It's all in the design of the system. First of all, we use a very high flow 100 cell cat - that alone makes a huge difference vs. other cats. Then we utilize 3" pipe after the cat to the muffler to keep the flow high right to the muffler. From the muffler on is where the difference lies in our 2.5 quiet vs. 3.0 loud. The video you are referencing is a 3.0 loud that displays a little more of the turbo spool sound than out 2.5, but the 2.5 still has the same sound and it can be heard while driving the car at part throttle - at WOT the GT3 type wail takes over.

Additionally, our X-cellerator exhaust system has an engineered sound which is designed to bring out and enhance these attributes you are hearing in the video. We did extensive testing of the various "X-Flow designs", tip shapes & sizes, etc. to arrive at a "sound" we felt was the best we could achieve. Not all X-Pipe systems are created equal - we had several versions and alternate designs that just didn't sound very good - they were certainly better than conventional muffler designs, but not the holy grail we had in mind and were trying to achieve. There is more to making a great sounding exhaust than getting a welder to fab an "X" and put in-line mufflers and some sort of expanded metal tip on it. We have done that and it was not our final pick. When I see people doing this I think that it looks like a fun project, but in many instances, I feel they would do better sound-wise by purchasing an engineered system like we offer...only because we have been there and done that. I kind of know how many of these systems will sound...as we tested basically the same thing during our product development.

So what is the key? That was the long answer - the short answer is a system designed to enhance those sounds - most systems either stifle them with restrictive parts or overpower them with volume. That is where R&D testing comes into play as a real value.
John - you should post pics of those cats - they are beautiful!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the info John, my wife can't drive stick, thank god, so I haven't heard mine from the outside.

Todd, I read your entire engine out thread, nice job.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Experience - SpeedTech Exhaust Installed Today & EPL Flash