Cost for Front Bumper Cover Re-spray? - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored by: Vivid Racing

Cost for Front Bumper Cover Re-spray?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM

spooltime will become famous soon enough
Cost for Front Bumper Cover Re-spray?

When I bought my car over a year ago, the front bumper looked like it previously had a gentle encounter with something, enough to leave a small series of paint fracture lines in the center upper portion of the front bumper cover. Now that my go-fast upgrades are mostly done (they're never completely done), it's time to focus on appearance.

So I took it in today to two different high-end body shops for a re-spray estimate. I told both of them that I would remove the cover, remove the grilles and miscellaneous clips and fasteners, and simply bring them a bare front bumper cover for a re-spray.

It's been a long time since I've had any loose paintwork done at a body shop, but I was little astounded by the two quotes I received. The first one was in the amount of $1,642. I consider this quote to be a f**k you , go away price. The second quote came in at $735. So I need to know if that's where the market is today for a simple paint a front bumper cover job, or if I need to keep shopping.

I'm thinking with me doing the R&R of the cover itself, it ought to be a job in the $350 - $450 price range. But maybe I'm way off the mark. What's a fair price to pay for this work?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM

HotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond repute
here is one thing I will tell you from many past experiences.

1. You do NOT ever rush a body shop guy.....
2. You generally get what you pay for
3. You don't cheap out on things like body work

While i don't know specifics for the 996. I had the front bumper cover replaced and repainted on my wifes MDX recently and it was around $1,800 with the parts being about $1,000 of that. I would expect about $1,000 to properly respray the front of my 996.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 AM

s65e90 is just really nices65e90 is just really nices65e90 is just really nices65e90 is just really nices65e90 is just really nice
$450 is right on the money. Those quotes are laughable.

Source: have worked at bodyshops for some time and I literally just had a well known shop spray my front bumper for $450.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Fortunately, the lower quote is from a Porsche Approved Collision Center, so I'll probably just bend over and go with them.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes! I have been doing this kind of thing myself for quite a while. I get the paint from a body shop supply store using the paint code under the hood. They have even adjusted the tint because mine was a little off the default colour. I can buy all the paint and clear coat for $100. I usually do 2 coats of colour and 3 or 4 clear coat leaving about 10 minutes between coats (and have paint left over at the end). You do the math - 5 minutes per coat with 10 minutes in between = maybe an hour and a half - call it two for prep and cleanup of the paint gun.

Now, my work is probably not quite up to snuff with a real body shop (I do my work outside) but I would imagine the time is the same. If these guys are charging $1000 per hour, something is definitely wrong. There must be a body shop that would charge for time & materials instead of what you have seen so far.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 PM

32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute
why porsche approved? use a quality body shop or in my case i used a high quality hot rod shop with a full paint booth. cost was 600$ for primer body work paint and spray. body guys could care less what the part came from
Old 08-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Stebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to beholdStebo is a splendid one to behold
Every time I ever get body shop quotes, I get the "eff you - go away" price. I'm courteous and never rush them... not sure what's up with that. Good luck man.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:44 PM

VAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond reputeVAGscum has a reputation beyond repute
The funny thing is every body shop I have dealt with has asked what type of car even when I want to drop off a bumper of other part to be painted. And they are all on board to paint my silver car parts. Up until the ask the car type and I answer. Unfortunately the Porsche community is fairly saturated with ****y people that makes us known as difficult to work with even when we are not the typical Porsche types. So the prices seem to reflect that.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32krazy! View Post
why porsche approved?

I'm agnostic on that; I just discovered after the fact that one of the shops happened to be Porsche approved - I wasn't seeking one out.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:14 PM

32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute32krazy! has a reputation beyond repute
humor me. search out a small hot rod shop with a paint booth. pull the bumper and take in person. theres a half dozen shops around me that would do that without hesitation and wont rape you either. most charge 60$ hr shop rate
Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM

jpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond repute
I've paid $300.00 and I got a $300.00 job ;-(
Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM

gclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond repute
$600 - 700 arena!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
I have paid 300 and 400 each time. Quality work too
Old 08-11-2017, 05:58 PM

drinaldis is just really nicedrinaldis is just really nicedrinaldis is just really nicedrinaldis is just really nicedrinaldis is just really nice
I always assume 800USD per panel here in California
Old 08-11-2017, 09:19 PM

jayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to beholdjayzbird is a splendid one to behold
You don't want just a respray on a front bumper. It will look horrible. They need to sand down/fill all the chips and dings to make it look like new again. I agree the first quote is pretty ridiculous, but it is pretty labor-intensive to do it right.