996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Broke valve spring. I think.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Broke valve spring. I think.

I am fairly sure a valve spring broke. Myself and a friend were on our way to gingerman race way for a Sunday night scca Thing and all of a sudden as we were passing a few cars there was a flashing engi e light. Misfire cylinder 2. At the next left hand turn there was a not normal sound coming from the engine. I will post a sound clip. It actually does start and run fine but not good to run. I bought some springs from a different engine. Going to pin and put in 750cc injectors at the same time. We will check the cylinders and determine if post one are needed. It has 125,000 miles. Will post pictures along the way.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute

The used ones i got

Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat

The used ones i got

Are you installing used springs?

Old 09-28-2017, 02:47 PM
pat
I am thinking about it. I have heard of so few broken valve springs. I wanted to hear some comments on that . My as least cost part of me says many. The other part says don't bother get new if we are going to do all that anyway.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:54 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It is more likely that you had a lifter come apart. This is a common problem for people who run high rpm a lot. 2001 cars are the worst. Don't drive the car, cut up your oil filter to check for metal.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
I am thinking about it. I have heard of so few broken valve springs. I wanted to hear some comments on that . My as least cost part of me says many. The other part says don't bother get new if we are going to do all that anyway.
I would look at cost for new springs and any other potential failure areas to address with the heads off. At your mileage to pull a head and not address a few other areas may be a bad plan.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:31 PM
pat
Dissent look good

Old 09-28-2017, 05:17 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You might have caught it early enough. Is that aluminum? Those don't look that big, though you won't know until you take it apart. The bigger pieces tear up the oil pump.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
Don't use used springs. Especially ones that have been loose and banging into one another. This can result in surface "dings" which can lead to a stress fracture.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
New springs are your last worry at thus point. You need a full tear down.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Allow the filter element to fully drain. That will make any metal stand out clearly. Wrap the filter on paper towels and that will draw the oil out.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Sorry for you Pat ;-( Was it your black or grey turbo that failed (auto, or 6 speed) ? Was it stock or tuned (higher rpm)?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 PM
pat
Sorry for you Pat ;-( Was it your black or grey turbo that failed (auto, or 6 speed) ? Was it stock or tuned (higher rpm)?

I know jp. It was the black one . Tip with all the mods... That said I just poked gearstar were the other tip is for the silver car. They will have that back to me in 2 weeks and I can put that in and be back on line . This will give time to do a full tear down . Looks like I will go with new rods and bolts to get the full power out of the k16 billets.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:33 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat

I know jp. It was the black one . Tip with all the mods... That said I just poked gearstar were the other tip is for the silver car. They will have that back to me in 2 weeks and I can put that in and be back on line . This will give time to do a full tear down . Looks like I will go with new rods and bolts to get the full power out of the k16 billets.
It will be a very interesting project!!! I hope you will not found anything major inside the engine...Keep us up to date Pat!!!!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:11 PM
pat
Mods on car
K16 billets
Epl. Tune
5 bar pressure reg
Rss. Engine mounts
3 inch straight through exhaust.
Gt3 rs. Coilovers
Diverter valves
Sway. Bars
1 bar waste gates

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.