996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intake Manifold Clamp Size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:33 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Intake Manifold Clamp Size

Does anyone know the clamp size in the below pic. I keep popping my off. Also, anyone know the spacing between the plenum and the intake? Curious if I can fully remove them by sliding the coupler over and squeezing the new/old clamp between the existing space. I really do not want to remove TB and plenum to get to these.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
This should help.
I'd support and lower the motor to the cross member for a little more access and do new mounts while you're at, it if you haven't already.
Clean off as much oil from the plastic first and tie a string around the new clamp before you try fishing it on there.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	996t Intake parts PET.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	514223  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Thanks. I think the reason one clamp keeps popping off is because of the oil that is on it. Maybe I'll lower the engine, shift the coupler around and clean the oil off first somehow and re-tighten the current clamp.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Something is not right. The hard rubber coupler has a groove in it which fits in the groove in the plenum and the manifold. It should not pop off even with a little oil on it if the clamp is secure.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:16 PM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Something is not right. The hard rubber coupler has a groove in it which fits in the groove in the plenum and the manifold. It should not pop off even with a little oil on it if the clamp is secure.
Good point, getting those 4 holes and clamps to line up even with engine out is not fun but when it's all together right it is very solid.

Check the lower mounting bracket that ties the two halves together with a small camera/borescope if you can't see it. If someone didn't connect those correct, it will keep the upper manifolds from being close enough together for the grooves John mentioned to seat.

Not the one I bought here, but there are a bunch of choices:
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. I slide the coupler to the side and cleaned it off. Put it back on and seems to hold boost. I think previously that clamp was no on tight and oil just got between the couple from all sides or it was never positioned over the grooves correctly.

After a semi-successful boost leak test, I found some vacuum lines popped out from around the DV area. I'll make a new thread in couple minutes and hopefully you guys can chime in. Thanks

Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
You cannot catch a break...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.