996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Built for big boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Wink Built for big boost

When you big power guys “build” an engine what do you replace. I’m not ready yet but when the time is right I’m thinking, pistons, rods, bottom end bearings and cams. Still will be just a road car but would love 1000 crank hp. Just another life goal

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
It depends on budget.

Rods, head studs, refresh bearings as needed at a minimum... GT3 oil pump wouldn't be a bad idea if you like to take the car on a circuit. Port the heads if budget allows, don't worry about cams (more on that below)

If you're going more in depth and want to replace pistons may as well do liners as well and go to a 3.8L displacement... I like the idea of swapping to the GT3 crankshaft as well, it is lighter and has better oiling and bearing design, but requires custom rods...

Personally I wouldn't bother with cams unless you've got an unlimited budget. I've not seen any data on anyone running aftermarket cams with comparisons to stock, and the stock cams are still making power at 7500+ rpm... You don't want to rev much higher than that with the lifter design used in the TT heads anyway, so if you want cams and higher rpm better look into the GT3 heads/lifters/cams for that application and swap that in. Ported stock heads with the stock cams is a proven combo for 1000 crank hp and cost a fraction of it would getting into a wild setup.

Just my opinion on things, im sure someone else will think otherwise.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Wow, thanks for that. So, basically a refresh of gaskets and bearings, a good set of rods and ported heads and I’m done? Not to bad. A3076 turbos enough? Adam

Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Wow, thanks for that. So, basically a refresh of gaskets and bearings, a good set of rods and ported heads and I’m done? Not to bad. A3076 turbos enough? Adam

I have done probably 20 different turbo combos on the 996/997, from swapping turbine housings to upgrading a compressor ( on a single turbo upgrade to see a difference). I think my numbers speak for themselves,
here is where you may get lost in,
a A3076 which I have on the 997 tt made 870whp at 1.8 bar on ms109 gas( $16/gallon). that same turbo on pump gas will make 640whp.
Also, the bigger the turbo the less usable HP... So one can throw in a 3794 turbo but it I wll come on boost at 5700... pretty late...

Now,
if your looking for a 1000 hp crank, lets say 900 whp on Euro 98 octane, I doubt you will find a turbo that can make that power without some serious race gas- and I do not mean euro 100 octane....
I use Garret HTA 3586 V banded turbos... trapped 160 mph 2 weeks ago, I may , I may be at 1000 whp and thats on VP import $22/gallon gas.
In my opinion, your turbo selection/ HP needs should be based on fuel octane available then I think you get some real data back... hope it sheds some light...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks for that. I use 99 Ron uk fuel. No intention of using race gas. It’s just a road car. I would use water/meth though. I just always wanted a 1000bhp car maybe I should trade in against a gallardo and turbo that?

Old 11-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Thanks for that. I use 99 Ron uk fuel. No intention of using race gas. It’s just a road car. I would use water/meth though. I just always wanted a 1000bhp car maybe I should trade in against a gallardo and turbo that?
I jus can’t see a turbo upgrade that will do 1000 hp on 98 and meth safety. You would need like a 3582 or 3586 turbo and run 26 to 27 psi and race gas timing to achieve 900 rwhp ( obo 1000 crank). Your not going to get that at 12 deg timing mid range at that Boost level.
This is how many guys get sold on big hp only to find out later you need some serious race gas. Been there done that many moons ago.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:51 PM
What’s realistic on 3076 and basic engine build (rods)? With pump and meth? Thanks

Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
What’s realistic on 3076 and basic engine build (rods)? With pump and meth? Thanks
On a 3.6l motor I would say 700 whp. The motor build is not the issue. Its octane and octane you need to make Power.
Now, dunos are like boxes chocolate and u never know what u will get. So we are bench racing but I’m being straight up.
U can’t run 2 bar on 98 ans meth lol.

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 11-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
So no need for rods?

Old 11-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
So no need for rods?
do a basic build. Leave the cams alone. The less fancy u get the better chance you have in a working motor.
U should do rods.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your input, very helpful.

Does anyone know the average labour for engine build? I’m guessing 40 hours?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Thanks for your input, very helpful.

Does anyone know the average labour for engine build? I’m guessing 40 hours?
easy 100 hours. Your in UK get ready to be wacked $25k

Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 PM
25k to change the rods)

Think I’ll stick with my a28/60’s for now and try and get a better tune on the car. I mean, for that money I’d read up and think about doing it myself. Scary prices

Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I've done it and I'd guess, working at my pace (not too fast) I could do it in around 55 hours or so, assuming I had all the tools at the ready and the torque specs readily available (not scouring the horrible manual).

Hours Job
5 Remove engine
5 Take all of the stuff off of the engine
5 Tear down engine
3 Clean everything
1 Machine crank
2 Measure and fit, adjust rings
10 Build engine and cams
10 Put all of the stuff back on the engine (lots of head scratching)
8 Put engine back in car
?? Drinking beer

Old 11-14-2017, 01:29 AM
That’s what I thought. You can build a complete kit car in 100 hours if your a novice. I see that the old “Porsche tax” is still alive and well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.