996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Advice Needed: Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:37 PM
VicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud of
Advice Needed: Clutch Replacement

Good Afternoon!

After taking the car out for what was to be the last spirited ride of the season I noticed that I had considerable clutch slippage on the highway in 4th. While it was quite cold outside, I am fairly certain my clutch is shot and in need of a replacement.

Details on the car:

RWD 02 Turbo X50
Ski850kit, all supporting mods, blow through tune
1.2 bar
38k miles

I'm looking for the most cost effective replacement that will reliably hold the power. I would estimate I'm making high 5's wheel. The current unit in the car is Clutchmasters, which in my 10k miles of ownership I have lever launched the car hard, or driven it in a way that would lead to excessive clutch wear.

Any advice is appreciated, as are other items to replace while I'm in there. I am unsure yet if I will do this job myself or pay an Indy. At the very least I will be replacing the trans mount and highly likely motor mounts.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM
VicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud ofVicVegas84 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
clutchmasters and oem slave is a no bueno setup
Can you elaborate as to why this is less than ideal?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. I am still unsure if I am willing to spend that much money on a clutch for a car that doesn't get driven but on weekends.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:17 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I'm running the Spec stage 2+, another member runs the spec stage 3. They have metallic pucks that bite hard at the engagement point but it is OK with the GT2 clutch hydro system. They are inexpensive and do hold the power. I'm happy with it.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I have this http://www.specclutches.com/694375/ Mine has an unsprung clutch disc however.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Spec stage 3 will hold it all day but its on and off...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Had the engine/trans out of my car (04 996 X50 turbo)last winter. Did a few updates, one of which was loading a good OEM trans mount full of window weld. Although cheap it seems to have stiffened up the shifting. Installing a 997 oem shifter also made quite a difference as well.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by markski@markskituning
Spec stage 3 will hold it all day but its on and off...
Yep, do not use with the stock hydraulic assist. It takes a bit to get used to. The 2+ isn't far behind the 3. I don't think it is as bad as people claim however.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Ok, I am going to chime in here. And "I AM NO EXPERT". Last year SPEC recommended a replacement disk and spring set for my car (FVD Race turbo tuned car). They said it would be like stock (shop foreman and tech talked to them to confirm). Once put in it was as "Crazy" said light switch. I could not drive the car.

Kevin at ultimate helped get a stronger sprung setup in place with the stock DMFW. After a second install charge (at a reasonable cost) the car drives great. There is a lot more to this story but wanted to share. Just saying Kevin knows what he is talking about. Have a great holiday all.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
Ok, I am going to chime in here. And "I AM NO EXPERT". Last year SPEC recommended a replacement disk and spring set for my car (FVD Race turbo tuned car). They said it would be like stock (shop foreman and tech talked to them to confirm). Once put in it was as "Crazy" said light switch. I could not drive the car.

Kevin at ultimate helped get a stronger sprung setup in place with the stock DMFW. After a second install charge (at a reasonable cost) the car drives great. There is a lot more to this story but wanted to share. Just saying Kevin knows what he is talking about. Have a great holiday all.
Stock hydraulic assist clutch will not work with it, very inconsistent.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
So far mine is ok. Like I said I am no expert but everything is working fine.

Sometimes I think this discussion is like an oil discussion. Lots of opinions

Old 11-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Aiello996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
What about the usual tested and proved, Sachs 2.5 kit? Cant go wrong with that and stock like feel, engagement

Old 11-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Aiello996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
True and I agree with you, but with the OP saying his car is making about mid to high 5's I would say the Sachs kit would be more then enough

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
really depends on the level of torque. at 800 plus sachs just doesnt hold unless its the protomotive unit which runs in excess of 4000$

Old 12-11-2019, 03:17 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sachs Kit from FVD was fine for me around 600HP at the wheels

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.