996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stupid #16 check valve IPD Plenum vs New intermediate piece

Old 11-19-2017, 11:07 PM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
Stupid #16 check valve IPD Plenum vs New intermediate piece

I broke the stupid plastic piece off the top of the stock plenum trying to get the stupid #16 check valve removed. At 1st I was like ya now it will be easy to replace the valve. I just need to replace the piece. Except the stupid plastic part is 200 bucks at sunset. So I have opted to install a 68mm IPD plenum.

Questions:

There are three small hoses on the stock plenum on the front left side when facing the plenum. Does it matter what hose goes where. The reason I ask is on the IPD the L nipple is in position 1 on my diagram where as the vertical L nipple on the stock plenum seems to be in the middle position (labeled #2 on the diagram)

Does it matter what position those hose go on??? I would imagine that the 3 vac hoses that attach to the IPD will dictate which goes where. Meaning that I’ll have to put the vertical hose in whatever position is available on the new IPD.

But does it matter which horizontal hose goes where on the new IPD. Cause the position of the L nipple is in a different location on the IPD.

Question #2
Do I really need to take out the diverted valves to replace the plenum. It doesn’t look like they’ll be in the way if I lower the motor 3 or so inches.

Hope that makes sense. Help me out there all you swell fellas))))

thanks in advance!!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 04:40 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
hope this picture helps and the 3 small vac lines are not a problem do like it dictates

Attached Images  

Last edited by winnigt2; 11-20-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 AM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
Thanks that’s the top of the plenum not the front. It’s pretty obvious what goes where up there.

Thanks for the pic!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
The little lines in front all go to vacuum and they do not matter where. Just a routing concern. Make sure snd take all the fittings out and seal the threads up with teflon tape or pipe sealant.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
The little lines in front all go to vacuum and they do not matter where. Just a routing concern. Make sure snd take all the fittings out and seal the threads up with teflon tape or pipe sealant.

Snd take???

Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Ah I got it!!! Thanks

Old 11-20-2017, 08:08 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Just out of curiosity: it's a business day - why not contact IPD?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Well the same reason people ask how to change their damn oil. Or better yet maybe everyone that has a question should just call the dealer or vendor and we should shut this forum down.

Sorry to waste your time. Maybe skip to the next post or offer some constructive advice.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
I was curious for a reason. We (GAP Diagnostic, Land Rover diagnostics) get this all the time too. People go to forums rather than back to us when they have tech issues. It's generally when they've received wrong answers and f@cked things up royally that they come back to us.

Reading up on specific topics in forums is great. Taking other's advice and solving problems that would otherwise cost a fortune at the dealer's is great. But asking how to install a new part? I'd be calling or mailing the vendor/manufacturer before asking other hobbyists here. They built the part. They know why each port is drilled at a certain spot and why the fittings are pointed in a particular direction.

You're not wasting my time - otherwise I'd not have bothered replying. As I said, curious.
But hey, do what you like and have fun. And have a nice day. :-)

Last edited by stevemfr; 11-20-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Damn dude, settle down. Plenty of people in here trying to help you.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Apologies

I misinterpret the intent.

I have learned plenty on these sites and I know there are people that have performed this procedure that’s why I’ve asked. I realize IPD is a phone call and will likely use that resource also.

I was just frustrated cause I’m well aware that I could pick up a phone and call them.

May apologies again

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM
No worries.

If I'd thought you were wasting my time, I'd have suggested you change your nick: urwasta

sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Now that’s funny.

Sambo is walking me through the replacement. While I don’t think it will be to difficult I have been wrong (maybe once) in my lifetime.
Maybe I’ll do a nice diy on the plenum replace as there doesn’t seem to be a great one out there.

Hopefully it will run once I’m done with it

I figure 6 vac lines 3 Large and 3 small. How hard can it be.
Well I’m gonna find out.
Hopefully I don’t f it up.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Ya some pics would be great. Ya I don’t think it will be easy. Worst case I have to aaa it to the shop. The 4 hose clamps and definitely accessible. So I’ll be able to losses those no problem.

The 2 10mm bolts I’m not sure about. I have to look in the manual to see exactly where those are located. If that stupid part wouldn’t have broken all would be well.

Oh well- darn schucks.

I’ll jisttake my time and not rush it!

But yes any photos would be tremendous and much appreciated.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uwrasta993
I broke the stupid plastic piece off the top of the stock plenum trying to get the stupid #16 check valve removed. At 1st I was like ya now it will be easy to replace the valve. I just need to replace the piece. Except the stupid plastic part is 200 bucks at sunset. So I have opted to install a 68mm IPD plenum.

Questions:

There are three small hoses on the stock plenum on the front left side when facing the plenum. Does it matter what hose goes where. The reason I ask is on the IPD the L nipple is in position 1 on my diagram where as the vertical L nipple on the stock plenum seems to be in the middle position (labeled #2 on the diagram)

Does it matter what position those hose go on??? I would imagine that the 3 vac hoses that attach to the IPD will dictate which goes where. Meaning that I’ll have to put the vertical hose in whatever position is available on the new IPD.

But does it matter which horizontal hose goes where on the new IPD. Cause the position of the L nipple is in a different location on the IPD.

Question #2
Do I really need to take out the diverted valves to replace the plenum. It doesn’t look like they’ll be in the way if I lower the motor 3 or so inches.

Hope that makes sense. Help me out there all you swell fellas))))

thanks in advance!!!!

doesnt matter..
pressure test the car afterwards... they leak at the barb fittings sometimes...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.