996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT street car suspension advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Yes, agreed. I'm bringing the car into TFB this weekend to have the suspension bushings and engine/gearbox mounts inspected, then going from there based on the findings.

I would really like to stick with non adjustable shocks and springs unless someone wants to give me an AMAZING deal on coilovers

EDIT: I just got an estimate for PSS10, RSS adjustable rear link kit, adjustable rear toe steer kit, engine mounts.. $7k in parts and labor... any feedback on that cost for those who have gone a similar route?
check out fortune auto coilovers. They are more affordable than pss10 and come with top plates as well.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:39 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Yes, agreed. I'm bringing the car into TFB this weekend to have the suspension bushings and engine/gearbox mounts inspected, then going from there based on the findings.

I would really like to stick with non adjustable shocks and springs unless someone wants to give me an AMAZING deal on coilovers

EDIT: I just got an estimate for PSS10, RSS adjustable rear link kit, adjustable rear toe steer kit, engine mounts.. $7k in parts and labor... any feedback on that cost for those who have gone a similar route?
Is that like 4000 in parts? Sounds steep. Could be done in 10 hours.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
if it were me, and for a "street car" with some canyon carving? i think you should follow your own advice here!

$7k in parts and labor...
VS a cpl/few grand for non adjustable and never have to mess with 'em, perfectly reliable B8's and H&R sport springs plus new mm's/997 t-mount. throw in a nice gt3 sway bar for the rear? good to go. no muss, no fuss. spend the money saved on some new 18" wheels and tires.

and voila, new car lol

Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM
nicknaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Is that like 4000 in parts? Sounds steep. Could be done in 10 hours.
labor was 12 hours and ~$2k. PSS10 alone were $3k.

Hopefully inspection will show some parts are not necessary

Re the tires discussion, yes OP is going to stick with 19s. I really like the "dish" of the rear wheels that are on the car

Old 01-02-2018, 07:59 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I like the 19's, 305's are a good tire.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Hi everyone! My '03 6TT has 67k miles and the stock suspension has started to show some signs of suspension wear (more specifically, I feel some lateral movement when going over midcorner bumps, not just vertical movement, and when I turn into a corner, I feel like the front end of the car is "skating" for a split second before the car changes direction) and I'm thinking about replacement parts.

My current plan is to get Bilstein B8 dampers and H&R sport springs, and replace the 4-5yr old PSS tires with RE71R tires. The car currently has 225/40/19 and 305/30/19 size PSS, and I'm planning to go to 245/35/19 and 305/30/19 RE17R. The wheels are Forgestar F14, 8.5" wide in front and 11" wide in the rear. (I still need to find the offsets)

The car is a weekend canyon fun runs car but is 100% street usage because I have a spec Miata for the track.

5 questions for the group:
  • Are there any other wear and tear items that are "must replace" (e.g. camber plates for the front, drop links for the sway bars, rear toe locking plate kit)? I'm trying to keep the parts list down to a minimum to keep costs down
  • Will I need other parts to get the alignment correct (e.g. rear adjustable toe control arm)? I believe the H&R sport spring lowering mild enough to avoid those.
  • Will I have rubbing issues? I can't find anyone posting about this exact combination of tires and suspension, but it "should" be ok given that others have run these tire sizes with lowered cars
  • Should I go ahead and use the "X73" alignment that is apparently already input into all of the alignment machines?
  • Should I look into transmission and engine mounts to have an "X73-like" setup?
Thanks for your help!!
Cheap mod that seem to work rather well is loading the voids in the transmission and engine mounts with window weld....1 tube @ 20.00 will do all three. Works for me

Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM
nicknaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
if it were me, and for a "street car" with some canyon carving? i think you should follow your own advice here!

a cpl/few grand for non adjustable and never have to mess with 'em, perfectly reliable B8's and H&R sport springs plus new mm's/997 t-mount. throw in a nice gt3 sway bar for the rear? good to go. no muss, no fuss.

and voila, new car lol
+1

Except I will not be using the saved money on 18s for the 6TT... it will go towards coaching, entry fees and upkeep for my Miata

Tire change and inspection for suspension and engine/gearbox mounts wear this weekend, then the changes you outlined after that.

B8 + H&R springs are $1.5k new from tirerack. If anyone wants to sell me used JRZ pro or Ohlins caliber of coilovers ~$2k that would change my plans.....

Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like another option is to use Eccentric bushings that elephant racing sells that can increase/decrease toe in by 6mm. Has anyone tried them?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed a set of the elephant eccentric bushings with my H&R springs and B8 shocks. Worked exactly as planed.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:39 AM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Great, good to know they work. Was concerned that with only 6mm of adjustment that it may not be enough. I may go this route, thanks.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:52 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
understand toe adjustment is done in small increments as its effect is multiplied at the wheel/measurement.. 6mm is huge

Old 01-04-2018, 07:50 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I've been running H&R Street Coilovers on mine for a while now. With 19x8.5 and 19x11 wheels wrapped with 225-40-19 and 295-30-19. My sidewalls are pretty much exactly the same height as stock 996TT so there is no additional harshness to the ride from the 19's and also my OZ 19's are lighter than stock hollow spokes so response is excellent as well.

If I would have gone with the recommended 315-25-19 I could definitely understand why people would complain about increased harshness. Not the case if using tires that give you stock sidewall height.

When I purchased my 996TT it was 100% stone stock and I drove it that way for about 1 year. When I switched to the H&R coilovers and GT2 inspired alignment specs it transformed the car. The ride was slightly firmer than stock but with better composure than stock! It felt firmer but absorbed bumps better and the more aggressive GT2 alignment specs woke up the steering as well.

Basically, all I needed were the coilover kit (under $2000) + rear toe links (about $400)...that's it. (I also opted for rear lock out plates at about $100) This allowed the car to be dialed in perfectly at the new lower height.

When I first removed the front shocks I thought the upper shock bushings/mounts were OK but upon much closer inspection I noticed some very small hairline cracks in the rubber so I replaced the bushings and the bearings as well. My car was really well cared for and babied all it's life and even so, it still needed the front upper bushings/mounts replaced. I think age is the factor here so plan on replacing those almost for sure. The rear upper mounts were pretty much perfect so just inspect them.

Good luck with your decision

Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
I found this thread after changing my rear lower control arm thrust bushings with solids.

If my car is any indication ('03, 50k miles), your rear thrust bushings are in need of attention too. My main goal was to address tire wear and a hint of bump steer and stability under braking. Worn thrust bushings cause toe changes under load.

I would head pwdrhound's advice as I've found it on point every time.

Here's a pic where you can clearly tell it's permanently off center. Along with the custom puller I kludged together to do it on car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	518947

Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
rear suspension lovesss monoball/solid... just feels right when done.
front end responds very well to similar, but adds more nvh than similar to rear... but its damn good...
monoball everything with good dampers//// winning.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I researched suspension to death and ended up asking advice from our good friend SamboTT on here.

I bought KW V1 coilovers and some other bits (sway bars, rear toe links) and I'm very happy with the handling and ride quality now.

Handles like a racecar and it's a LOT more comfortable than stock. Best of both worlds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT street car suspension advice?