996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT street car suspension advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Integral will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 993GT
OP, at minimum inspect and refresh bushings, I'd recommend solid LCA thrust arm bushings and LCA monoballs at rear. Toe-arms are not required until you go very(too) low (I do alignments)...nice to have but not required.
Springs and shocks work well, if springing (pun intended) for coilovers, strongly consider the Ohlins R&T setup, engineering and execution is light years better than other off the shelf stuff (PSS, H&R, etc)
not to diverge too much OT, but my local indy (Jae Lee @ Mirage Intl) discouraged me from the 996/7tt Ohlins specifically b/c when they first came out 2 (edit) FRONT SHOCKS (not rear mounts) broke immediately on different cars. only bad thing i've heard, but i trust everything the man says...anyone else have any experience w/ the Ohlins?

Last edited by Integral; 01-11-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
what mounts?
Originally Posted by Integral
not to diverge too much OT, but my local indy (Jae Lee @ Mirage Intl) discouraged me from the 996/7tt Ohlins specifically b/c when they first came out 2 rear mounts broke immediately on different cars. only bad thing i've heard, but i trust everything the man says...anyone else have any experience w/ the Ohlins?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Integral will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 993GT
what mounts?
just reread his email.

NO mounts, my mistake - i misspoke. The front shocks broke completely in half and Ohlins made the owner buy new ones. Circumstances of the break, no one knows but the owner...but food for thought and I wanted to see if anyone else had issues.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Been running Ohlins DFV's for two years and absolutely love them. Have them set mid-firmness front and rear and with the PSS's the ride is way better than stock and completely streetable (i don't track my car) but the car is planted and controlled over uneven backroad blasts.

Could make them way softer if you wanted but I like the car how it is.

Regarding the unknown failure from who knows what car with what installation i'd disregard it as for all we know it's some guys distant aunt's postmans' daughter who put them on backwards on their WRX.

I should also mention i've driven a KW V3 car on PSS 19's like mine and the Ohlins on mine back to back and IMO it's not even close. The dampening on the Ohlins IMO is noticeably better. KW's pogo'ed a lot more and felt more unsettled. Take it with a grain of salt as I can't say if the KW car had or didn't have other supporting suspension mods (bushings/monoballs, etc). He did say his car was setup with a "mid" dampening setting on his KW's as well.

Last edited by daedalus; 01-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Have Ohlins on GT2 and KW V3 on Boxster... Ohlins on a different planet. For full track the KW would be effective, but can't do the street/track duality the Ohlins are sublime at.
Installed my factory GT2 (Bilstein made) coilovers on my dads 6tt (take some work), huge improvement vs stock 6tt but he WANTS Ohlins now...
anybody can have a failure, but will point out Ohlins is THE motorcycle suspension manufacturer, they probably have structural safety as #1 priority in design

Old 01-11-2018, 04:56 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daedalus
I should also mention i've driven a KW V3 car on PSS 19's like mine and the Ohlins on mine back to back and IMO it's not even close. The dampening on the Ohlins IMO is noticeably better. KW's pogo'ed a lot more and felt more unsettled. Take it with a grain of salt as I can't say if the KW car had or didn't have other supporting suspension mods (bushings/monoballs, etc). He did say his car was setup with a "mid" dampening setting on his KW's as well.
The setup is so important on fully adjustable suspension that it's hard to judge. That's the main reason I went with V1's. I let the experts figure it out; all I had to do was set to the desired height and forget. It's perfect on the street and I bet it would hold up pretty damn good on the track as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 PM
^ I enjoy my KW's too and they are certainly also a quality product...
Ohlins just have the duality.. their recommended setup specs work damn right too, avg. guy just needs to set and forget

Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
nicknaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys, thanks so much for the advice and thoughts on your setups.

Quick update: an initial test drive by TFB validated that there are handling issues. Initial inspection revealed right away that the front transfer case mount to needs to be replaced. I'm getting the detailed findings soon.

Looks like I will have an excuse to modify more extensively than originally planned.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:03 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Transfer case? That's a pickup truck part. Transmission mount?

Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Transfer case? That's a pickup truck part. Transmission mount?
They meant the front diff mount. All 3 front diff mounts are shot (and the seals for the diff need to be replaced) and front cv joints need to be rebuilt), the front mount of the gearbox is worn as well. I'm contemplating ripping out the front diff and since I was going to change the suspension anyway, convert to gt2 suspension parts? I will need to review the other threads about rwd conversion since it seems I'll need to get a limited slip diff. I am tempted by the idea of keeping it awd, since it's supposed to be a street car....

Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Blk04996tt is an unknown quantity at this point
If you decide to remove the front shaft, most people will say to go with a Wavetrac TBD or the Guards LSD.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Blk04996tt
If you decide to remove the front shaft, most people will say to go with a Wavetrac TBD or the Guards LSD.
Agreed. For now I'm going to the worn items, upgrade tires and transmission and engine mounts, and check alignment and enjoy the car as is. If I went Rwd I'd want to go all in with other mods and I'm not quite there yet!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
All you need to convert to rear drive is a Wavetrac diff. I'd do it if I were in your situation.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
All you need to convert to rear drive is a Wavetrac diff. I'd do it if I were in your situation.
"Convert to rwd" is not the goal. It's "convert to great handling rwd". From what I've read here, rwd with stock suspension isn't a great recipe (with or without lsd)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Guys, last update!
  • Decided to keep it AWD and went ahead with fixing the issues with the front diff mounts, axles and transmission mount
  • Upgraded the gearbox and front diff bushings from rubber to poly
  • Stock suspension seemed ok, so no changes yet
  • Switched from 5-6yr old PSS tires in 225/40/19 and 305/30/19 size to cup 2 tires in 245/35/19 and 295/30/19 size
  • Checked and fixed alignment

Looking forward to having the car back and doing 'fun runs' before making further changes to the suspension

Seems like my best bet for an aftermarket setup is to diligently scour the classified for a crazy good ~$2k price on JRZ coilovers like one of the other members who PMd me

Thanks everyone for the advice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT street car suspension advice?