996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wrist Pins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM
LukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to behold
Wrist Pins

Any help appreciated on a source or specs of OEM GT2/TT wrist pins for the Mahle pistons. If anyone knows what spec's I would need to request from a piston company or if Mahle has a part number ( couldn't find it listed in Porsche manual separately). I'm also open to purchasing said wrist pins or one from the various race parts vendors if I new what specs to request. I don't have an engine apart currently so can't gain my own measurements currently.

Thanks for any assistance or direction to be pointed.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I have some laying around if you need measurements. Are you assuming yours are worn out?

Old 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM
LukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to behold
I'm just accumulating parts for a build. I picked up a "odd" new OEM set of pistons and barrels for big discount. Well only a discount if I can solve the wrist pin issue since they were missing from the Mahl setup. I know in my domestic race cars, we upgrade and trade out pistons to tool steel on a regular basis. I really don't know why I couldn't simply order a custom set from say Carrillo or such. The engine I'm using as core is low mileage in itself with only 15k, and i haven't heard of turbo pins being a weak point. BUT, the idea of reusing wrist pins with all other new reciprocating parts seems weird for even a frugal guy.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
IIRC EVOMS has custom thick wall version available

Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM
I was aware, but didn't know if they'd spec a set for OEM Mahle pistons. I guess it wouldn't hurt to simply call.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I'd just use your current pins, I'd doubt they show much wear on them. You should just get the 3.8 slugs and liners.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:22 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I have a couple of sets of Mahle Motorsport pistons/liners at the house, 3.8L and 4.0L versions, both with wrist pins. Let me know if you need some measurements. I can get replacement wrist pins from Mahle Motorsport but I don't know how they compare with the OEM wrist pins which are not sold separately. I do know the diameters are identical for the Motorsport and OEM wrist pins at 23mm as they use the same small end rod dimensions. The Mahle Motorsport stuff is pretty trick but pricey as a set of pistons/liners is over $8K now.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 01-18-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Is there any reason to buy the Mahle pistons over CP?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
Is there any reason to buy the Mahle pistons over CP?
Mahle Motorsport supplies the pistons and liners for Porsche Motorsport for use in their race motors. For high HP straight line short burst racing there may be better options. I guess it all depends what your end use is as one size does not fit all in most cases...

Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM
I've never ordered wrist pins alone. Other than diameter and length, is there another spec I should request or just call one of the more well known builders and request an aftermarket set of pins from say EVOMS or the like? I'd be just as happy avoiding the Ptax and just go directly to a race parts vendor with necessary specs.

Cheers and thanks
Luke