996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best “filter on turbo” setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:45 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah been in London like 10 times already, also Birmingham and some small cities in the area. Aquamist is a game changer for our cars, syvecs would be even better than plex, but might not need it, maybe can put those money into something else as plex is really a great product

Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 AM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Nice, I’m about 12 miles outside Birmingham but the weather is no better here I intend on doing the Syvecs at a later date but so far it seems it’s circa Ł4000 for the ecu without mapping! I have heard lots of good things though. It will probably be next winter along with rods and head studs.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mpsuk
A filter doesn’t stop being a filter because it’s on the turbo. I can see it will get dirty quicker which will restrict flow if I cleaned but otherwise
The cloth filters don't clean as well as paper, that is how they flow better, they let more through. Pre filter covers help.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:26 AM
I have been looking at a system used for 997 and wondering if I can make it fit?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 AM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
I've designed some filter adapters for this type of setup but haven't had a chance to prototype them yet. They are designed to use Amsoil dry nano filters.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	519548   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	519549   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	519550  
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting CAD model, what CAD package is it. How did you get all the existing car components in there? Did you use some type of scanner?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Interesting CAD model, what CAD package is it. How did you get all the existing car components in there? Did you use some type of scanner?

CATIA. I used a FARO laser scanner. The scan as-shown isn't very good as I wasn't actually trying to capture the suspension at the time.

Last edited by msv; 01-19-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
I’d be happy to guinea pig those for ya

Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM
msv
I’d be happy to guinea pig those for ya
The thing is that these are designed for the By Design/Tial K16-68mm turbos on my car. So it would also work for stock turbos since the compressor housing doesn't change. For something with a different compressor housing, the design would have to change, and I'd pretty much need to scan it. There is very little space to work with and it needs to be positioned very accurately in order to not have interference.

The way I designed these, a short length of 3-ply silicone tubing is slid over the compressor inlet and then this clamps onto that. That isolates the adapter piece from the compressor housing which heats up to about 200F from what I've seen (I put temperature labels on the inlet to see the max temps it reaches).

Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Ok, well, I’ll be using tial 3076 turbos which will hang in the same place but will have different in sizes I’m sure. Is it that tight in there? Could this be dealt with via the silicone hose?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:40 AM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
I have been looking at a system used for 997 and wondering if I can make it fit?
Yes you can make a 997TT airbox setup fit. To use the EMRE setup, you're going to need to do everything required to make it work on a 997 which includes cutting part of your car up to make the intake pipes fit.

I have 997TT airbox setup with do88 inlet pipes that I am going to have back together in my car soon.

On top of everything the 997s have to do to run the emre box, youre going to need to change a lot of other things than just the airbox and inlets to do it- not a direct bolt in. Need 997 y-pipe, 997 ac lines, 997 style fuel cooler and refrigerant lines for the fuel cooler (or delete the fuel cooler and use the OEM 996 GT3 piece that replaces fuel cooler in those cars). 997 y pipe needs larger throttle body from the 997, so need a different plenum to fit the larger throttle body. Also with 997 y-pipe you lose your diverter valve plumbing spots that 996 ypipe has since the 997 diverters are on the turbos- so you have to find a way to relocate and custom plumb in your diverters or get metal intercoolers that you can weld BOV flange on the end tanks since the BOVs won't fit in the traditional spots on the y-pipe with the 997 airbox installed, etc etc.

Doable- yes. Easy- not really. Cheap- hell no. Best bang for buck is filters on turbos. I also live in a rainy climate so I am hesitant to do that, plus I track car a lot and I'm just not comfortable with the filters down low in case I have an off and lose a filter and suck up some of the dirt/grass/rocks swirling around under the car

Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPr...x?prod=RF-1031

these. You will need to check the housing inlet size for you 3076s, but these fit my 3073s perfectly. The 10deg angle allows you to tweak to miss the suspension and tuck them in tight near the axle.

Then add these.
https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPr...prod=RF-1035DK

Old 01-19-2018, 11:59 AM
@seattle turbo, by the time I read half of that I got scared.
@LQQK thanks, I’ll have a look at thise

Old 01-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
My car ran and my brothers car currently runs the Blitz SUS Filters (C4 Core) but the A3076 compressor cover is too small to fit them. With 6466 and my Xona 95-67's we have to run a piece of 4" silicone coupler on the turbo inlet for it to fit though.

Some of the K&Ns will work good as well since you have the smaller compressor inlet. Just be careful on rainy/wet days when running filters on the turbos.

Doing pipes that go into the fender wells (above the IC) will easily support 1000-1200rwhp with no issue. Plus you are protected a lot more from water on the road, etc. I ran that setup at my 1050rwhp GTX35 setup for a long while. My brother on his A3076 stock motor setup ran the same thing as well. When I went to the 6466's I got the Blitz filters, and now that my brother has my 6466's his car runs the Blitz Filters

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best “filter on turbo” setup