6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Best “filter on turbo” setup (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/416640-best-ifilter-turbon-setup.html)

Mpsuk 01-14-2018 11:37 AM

Best “filter on turbo” setup

Hi, so I’ve decided to go with the tial 3076 turbos. I’m going to run filters directly on turbos. Which are the best or biggest I can run? Anything to look out for? Thanks, Adam

Mpsuk 01-15-2018 11:46 AM

Nobody got any feedback on this setup?

brnrdtns 01-15-2018 12:17 PM

I personally don't like that setup. It will suck in too much dirt. Those cloth filters are pretty open. Some disagree and love the setup, but who knows, maybe their rings will be shot after 30k miles. I run the Marski soft inlet setup with the stock airbox which is fine for sub 700hp. If I was going to do filters on turbo I'd go with the Protomotive 3D printed fenderwell intake setup.

RDS993 01-18-2018 06:07 AM

Protomotive

http://www.protomotive.com/wp422/?pr...-intake-4-oval

Mpsuk 01-18-2018 07:17 AM

Looks ok but I wouldn’t want to restrict so much flow to intercoolers. I’ll keep looking but thanks for the link:)

s65e90 01-18-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mpsuk (Post 4692093)
Looks ok but I wouldn’t want to restrict so much flow to intercoolers. I’ll keep looking but thanks for the link:)

It's not.

Fadi 01-18-2018 12:57 PM

Do proto or proto like setups, just works well. I am running that for years (Markski setup) - highway, drag, track - strong setup and IATs are ok

Not sure, but guess you will see also better turbos spool with this setup.

what kind of boost are you going to run? what kind of racing are you going to do?

Mpsuk 01-18-2018 01:06 PM

Hi, I don’t do racing as such, just go out on the street and have fun. I’m hard on my cars and bikes and not happy to half cover the ic like that. Would prefer to just change or clean filters every 500 miles. At the moment I have tial a28/60’s but they drop off to quickly for my liking so I just got some tial a3076. I have a b&b 3” Exhaust with hjs race cats but I’m swapping that for a bigger xpipe style Exhaust with no cats and 45mm manifolds. I’ll just bolt all that up and get I setup on a COBB to start with. After that I will get aquamist, big ypipe throttle body and plenum and a retune. Ultimately it will then have rods and head studs and a Syvecs ecu. That’s the stages I’m planning:)

Aktavate 01-18-2018 03:26 PM

I cant imagine the filter being 'near' the IC doing much of anything to IATs. Not like its sealing part of the fins away from airflow or something, especially if, as you say you are not racing.

Mpsuk 01-18-2018 04:24 PM

Imagine full boost 4th gear how much air will be sucked in? What’s left to go through the ic? For drags it wouldn’t matter but thrashing around on the street for a while may make a problem. Just my opinion

s65e90 01-18-2018 04:52 PM

You forget that a nice intercooler also acts as a heatsink. In traffic, slow moving is where this is shown. It's not gonna hurt it. I'd do those over hanging them off the ground, but many do that fine w/out issue.

brnrdtns 01-18-2018 04:56 PM

I thought Markski had an issue with the filters on turbos, his compressor blades were getting nicked up or something with sand and dirt.

Mpsuk 01-18-2018 05:03 PM

A filter doesn’t stop being a filter because it’s on the turbo. I can see it will get dirty quicker which will restrict flow if I cleaned but otherwise

Fadi 01-19-2018 01:04 AM

I am doing top speed highway pulls (high boost) and 15min track sessions(low/mid boost) with my setup and works well, real-life results..

If doing Aquamist, than forget about anything... the IATs will be so low that no other setup can touch those values

Remember also that your small turbos are generating more heat thatn Tial76s, so boost for boost you will see lower IATs on the new setup

If you can clean your filters so often, why not filter directly to turbos?? Best setup, but as I see you're in England, just take care in the rainy days

Mpsuk 01-19-2018 01:25 AM

Good to hear you are getting on well with the aquamist, one of my planned mods. You must know England well, raining all the time! Something I have to consider suppose:(