996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 door latch replacement...advise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
Yes. One of the micro-switches in the latch is toast. There are 2 inside (door open, handle up). Either of those activated should keep the window down. If you are making contact while closing, it's the "door open" switch that is broken. You can try closing the door while holding the handle up and see if that works. Either way, that's where the magic happens.
Would a failed latch microswitch allow the glass to move back?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I'm not sure what you mean by "allow"??? If the handle micro-switch fails, the window will not move down when you lift the handle to open the door. If the "door open" micro-switch fails, the window will go back up as soon as you release the handle (so it will be up when you try to close the door).

Does that make sense?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
latch

I'm not sure what you mean by "allow"??? If the handle micro-switch fails, the window will not move down when you lift the handle to open the door. If the "door open" micro-switch fails, the window will go back up as soon as you release the handle (so it will be up when you try to close the door).

Does that make sense?
Totally and that was my problem, rectified with a new latch. Question posed by VGLNTE1 was different. His door glass is hitting the back side glass not the roof. Thoughts are a failing regulator which works the door glass... that a possibility?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you are saying the door window is hitting the back window/frame when closing the door and the window is moving up and down as expected when lifting the door handle, then that sounds like the glass is not moving straight up and down - that's a totally different deal.

The OP clearly stated that the window was hitting the roof - isn't that what we are talking about anymore?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 PM
If you are saying the door window is hitting the back window/frame when closing the door and the window is moving up and down as expected when lifting the door handle, then that sounds like the glass is not moving straight up and down - that's a totally different deal.

The OP clearly stated that the window was hitting the roof - isn't that what we are talking about anymore?
VGLNTE1 responded to this post with a separate question.....bottom of first page.... front glass hitting back glass

Old 04-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Ah, well that's not the door latch mechanism then. Check for loose/missing screws on the window guides.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Ah, well that's not the door latch mechanism then. Check for loose/missing screws on the window guides.
Right.... didn't think it would have anything to do with the latch.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:33 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Sorry for making it confusing. Lol. My window goes up and down fine, it's like the entire door has been bent downward. It even sticks a little trying to open the door. Its never been removed or anything.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Sorry for making it confusing. Lol. My window goes up and down fine, it's like the entire door has been bent downward. It even sticks a little trying to open the door. Its never been removed or anything.
Door may need adjustment, pins may be a bit worn, catch on door frame may need adjustment. Any good body shop will check adjustments. Should this not rectify the problem I would be looking at the glass mechanism

Old 04-19-2018, 02:30 PM
fpb111 is on a distinguished road
You can adjust the glass, front, back, up, down, crooked whatever your hearts desire.

Pull the door card with the window up. Get in close the door, you don't have to close the door it just makes it easier to see gaps, there are two clamps that hold the glass to the regulator.
The bolts are accessible with the card off and the window up. Loosen the clamps and adjust until the window is centered to your satisfaction.
Turning the key on with the airbag out/disconnected will light the airbag light.

Last edited by fpb111; 04-19-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Is this part what would be making my window hit the back window when closing the door? Almost like the glass has shifted back
You can adjust the glass.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 PM
The glass can be adjusted but that doesn't explain why the door is sticking

Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 AM
If the door is crooked, you need to adjust the hinges (I've never hear of that happening to someone who hasn't removed the door). If the door is binding on the latch, the hook side on the door jamb is adjustable and has marks for reference so you can judge how much to move it. It is very easy to adjust.

We have gone through so many things in this thread, perhaps a picture of the issue may provide some clarity to what your problem really is - words aren't cutting it.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:48 PM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by G-Rat
This sounds like my problem. When I open the door, the window drops down to clear the trim. But it doesn't stay down while the door is open, so I get around it by slightly pulling on the outer handle while I close the door.
Before I order parts, just wanted to clarify something.

When I open the door from the inside, the window drops and stays down while the door is open, able to close without contacting the upper door.

When I open the door from the outside, the window drops but doesn't stay down. Can only close the door if I pull the handle while I'm closing the door and I time it right.

So initially I was thinking I need to replace the door latch but now I'm thinking the outer handle microswitch maybe. But I also thought the window wouldn't drop at all if the handle microswitch was bad.

Any thoughts? Slider?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Yes - it's the micro-switch in the latch - nothing to do with the handle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 door latch replacement...advise?