996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 door latch replacement...advise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 01:04 PM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
996 door latch replacement...advise?

Have a 2004 996 turbo with a failed door latch cam.... window sometimes hits the roof when closing the door. Purchased a new latch.... any advise on installation? Door handle have to be removed? Any input greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Latch assembly is a pretty easy install. You don't have to take the handle off. You take the door panel off from the inside and unbolt the latch from the edge of the door. The door panel removal requires that you remove the plastic trim in front the of door handle - there are some bolts underneath, you have to pry off the little metal cap in the middle of the door (screw below) and there is a plastic screw in the door storage compartment. Then just pry around the edges to pop the retainers, then lift up to remove. I think access into the latch is easiest with the window up. Removing the release cable and lighting should be evident at that point.

The whole thing will take about 15 minutes. Sorry no pictures - it's one of the few things I didn't post a DIY for.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:10 AM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
Latch assembly is a pretty easy install. You don't have to take the handle off. You take the door panel off from the inside and unbolt the latch from the edge of the door. The door panel removal requires that you remove the plastic trim in front the of door handle - there are some bolts underneath, you have to pry off the little metal cap in the middle of the door (screw below) and there is a plastic screw in the door storage compartment. Then just pry around the edges to pop the retainers, then lift up to remove. I think access into the latch is easiest with the window up. Removing the release cable and lighting should be evident at that point.

The whole thing will take about 15 minutes. Sorry no pictures - it's one of the few things I didn't post a DIY for.
Thanks for the response. Took a little longer than 15 minutes but did manage to get the latch changed out. Glad my hands aren't the size of dinner plates.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Great! It always takes a little longer the first time (I had to do both sides).

Old 04-08-2018, 11:12 AM
G-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to beholdG-Rat is a splendid one to behold
Do you have the part number?

This sounds like my problem. When I open the door, the window drops down to clear the trim. But it doesn't stay down while the door is open, so I get around it by slightly pulling on the outer handle while I close the door.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 AM
door latch

Originally Posted by G-Rat
Do you have the part number?

This sounds like my problem. When I open the door, the window drops down to clear the trim. But it doesn't stay down while the door is open, so I get around it by slightly pulling on the outer handle while I close the door.

Told that this is a common problem. Purchased from a shop in Vancouver BC. Part# 8N1837015C not a Porsche number. Price was$364.50 plus taxes. Searched the internet and this is about the going price in Canadian dollars.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Door latch

Great! It always takes a little longer the first time (I had to do both sides).
Checked operation of new latch this morning....window did not drop when door opened, then I remembered that the circuit may have to be retrained, that's the ticket and all is well

Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 PM
This is what you need...

Door Latch

Old 04-08-2018, 06:05 PM
This is what you need...

Door Latch
Yup, would have saved a few clams if I found this ad.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
For those attempting this for the first time, be aware that the two bolts through the door jamb that mount the latch can not be removed with a T40 torx. Requires a twelve point driver. The one I got has K-D 2304 U.S.A. stamped on side. If you try the T40 torx it will strip the bolt heads. You can guess how I know this.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 PM
door latch

Originally Posted by Twinturbofan
For those attempting this for the first time, be aware that the two bolts through the door jamb that mount the latch can not be removed with a T40 torx. Requires a twelve point driver. The one I got has K-D 2304 U.S.A. stamped on side. If you try the T40 torx it will strip the bolt heads. You can guess how I know this.
Funny, did the same thing with a torx bit but quickly realized I had the wrong tool and was fortunate enough to not strip the head. Had the proper bit in my collection of tools. Bought this almost 20 years ago to work on a 72 Beetle which was my kids first car. Nice to have another use for it.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:47 PM
Door latch

Originally Posted by bushrat
Funny, did the same thing with a torx bit but quickly realized I had the wrong tool and was fortunate enough to not strip the head. Had the proper bit in my collection of tools. Bought this almost 20 years ago to work on a 72 Beetle which was my kids first car. Nice to have another use for it.

Guess I should mention that Mac tools sells this ..Part# SC89

Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Is this part what would be making my window hit the back window when closing the door? Almost like the glass has shifted back

Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM
latch

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Is this part what would be making my window hit the back window when closing the door? Almost like the glass has shifted back
Part of the latch function is to drop the window slightly so as not to hit the roof when closing the door. Sounds like you have a different problem, perhaps something to do with the regulator?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Yes. One of the micro-switches in the latch is toast. There are 2 inside (door open, handle up). Either of those activated should keep the window down. If you are making contact while closing, it's the "door open" switch that is broken. You can try closing the door while holding the handle up and see if that works. Either way, that's where the magic happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 door latch replacement...advise?