6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   coolant temp drops at WOT (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/419853-coolant-temp-drops-wot.html)

cosworth 04-25-2018 06:19 PM

coolant temp drops at WOT

my coolant gauge reach operating temp and stay there in any outside teperature condition and any driving condition ( idle , traffic , low speed , high speed , highway cruising , spirited drive mid-high rpm ) but when i push very hard at WOT to redline with outside cold weather , temperature gauge drops suddenly and then return in normal operating temp in about 30 sec when rpm slow down.
Here's a video take a look to the temperature gauge , what could happen ? i don think this is normal , what do you think ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Ro69Rx9mE&feature=youtu.be

brnrdtns 04-25-2018 07:00 PM

I think you're OK but maybe I'm wrong. How cold outside are we talking? Also, where are you going 310KPH at? :eek:

brnrdtns 04-25-2018 07:03 PM

Oh, I see 4.5C or 40F. I think you're OK. Careful man, most of these performance tires aren't made to run that cold.

s65e90 04-25-2018 09:15 PM

Temps dropping while moving and returning idling could be thermostat failing.

Akatsuki... 04-25-2018 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by cosworth (Post 4711632)
my coolant gauge reach operating temp and stay there in any outside teperature condition and any driving condition ( idle , traffic , low speed , high speed , highway cruising , spirited drive mid-high rpm ) but when i push very hard at WOT to redline with outside cold weather , temperature gauge drops suddenly and then return in normal operating temp in about 30 sec when rpm slow down.
Here's a video take a look to the temperature gauge , what could happen ? i don think this is normal , what do you think ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Ro...ature=youtu.be

OP I have the same issue. I have swapped out for a new fuel pressure sender but it's still the same.

Btw noticed ur car revs to 7200rpm? Did u tune it to increase redline?

brnrdtns 04-25-2018 11:55 PM

It is probably the stat then. Does your car take a long time to warm up?

cosworth 04-26-2018 03:50 AM

Thanks at all for your replys , the dealer also thought it could be a failing thermostat , the only thing it sounds strange to me is that the temperature drop ONLY in this hard WOT pulls to redline with cold ambient temperature ( 40 F ) .
In all other driving condition the needle remain in perfect operating temperature so , is not like s65e90 said that temperature dropping while moving and remaine at idle , my temperature warm up in short time and remain costant while moving , also at high speed if the rpm remaine below 6000 rpm , so for example if i cruise in winter at a speed of 250 km/h in 6th gear partial throotle at 5000 rpm , coolant temperature remain constant , no matter how cold is outside.
So it seems the thermostat do its job fine in all conditions but at WOT it seems the high speed of water pump / high pressure in coolant overcome the t-stat ability to handle the temperature or it not responds faster enough to keep the temperature stable under high loads .
After temperature dropping in this Wot condition , it return in normal position in about 30 seconds while the car still moving at high speed but rpm slow down from 7000 to 5000 - 6000 , so it seems rpms / water pump speed create the " issue " .
Next week i'll try to replace t-stat like dealer saids and we will see if it fix.
Yes my car is tuned by rs-tuning , ecu and hybrids 16 / 24 s and rev limiter is raise to 7400 .
Those high speed runs were from German Autobahn
Here's another :

Accordly to speedo and rpms , indicated speed should be 350 / 352 km/ h , gps 330 - 332 :)
My tires are Michelin Ps2 .

993GT 04-26-2018 06:48 AM

it'll happen on WOT pulls until the rads are up to temp, normal

cosworth 04-26-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 993GT (Post 4711684)
it'll happen on WOT pulls until the rads are up to temp, normal

Thanks 993 GT , nice info so in your opinion nothing to concern about ?
No risk for thermal shock haeds / block / head gasket when suddenly cold coolant enter in engine in those wot pulls ?
So if you were me to replace thermostat is worth ?

JH996tt 04-26-2018 07:49 AM

My car is doing same thing, car was checked and everything is ok.
Happens only during WOT on highway... I think that it is normal.

cosworth 04-26-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JH996tt (Post 4711692)
My car is doing same thing, car was checked and everything is ok.
Happens only during WOT on highway... I think that it is normal.

Yes maybe nothing to concern , my only doubt is because this is tje first car working this way . In all my other cars it not happens .
Yes this is my first car with rear engine / front radiators , maybe when car is warmed up in normal driving , and thermostat stay closed most of the time to keep operating themperature 80 - 85 C , coolant from the engine block is at 80 - 90 C and coolant in front radiators is maybe at 35 -40 C , so when suddenly push this cars at WOT , the coolant in engine also raise suddenly from 80 to 100 so the t-stat suddenly open and the high engine / water pump rpms push a lot of pressure moving the cold coolant from radiators to the engine dropping the temperature of coolant in the engine from 80 - 85 to 60- 65 C ???
The only thing i'm a little concern about is that this suddenly temperature change can put a thermal stress on the engine and head gasket ? I dont know ....

brnrdtns 04-26-2018 08:28 AM

I would go ahead and change change the stat. It is a 30 dollar part plus the o ring and maybe 30 minutes of work.

cosworth 04-26-2018 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by brnrdtns (Post 4711702)
I would go ahead and change change the stat. It is a 30 dollar part plus the o ring and maybe 30 minutes of work.

Good to know , i was concerned for the labor cost to replace the t-stat , if its a cheaper job i think i'll do it , my t-stat has 56k miles , so if it doesn't fix , sure a bran new t-stat could reduce this temperature drop phenomenon .
Is necessary flushing all the coolant to replace t-stat ?

brnrdtns 04-26-2018 09:03 AM

No. You will lose some though.

993GT 04-26-2018 04:32 PM

from my experience they all do it... 30L of coolant needing warmed up....it's not ideal but it happens, try to get the whole system up to temp before doing a big pull, even a small/light pull when the engine is up to temp to help warm the front end of cooling system warm a bit to reduce the variation
Never hurts to do P.M. on the car, worth a shot to see if it helps the situation a bit and have peace of mind

Originally Posted by cosworth (Post 4711686)
Thanks 993 GT , nice info so in your opinion nothing to concern about ?
No risk for thermal shock haeds / block / head gasket when suddenly cold coolant enter in engine in those wot pulls ?
So if you were me to replace thermostat is worth ?