6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Odometer mileage correction in Milwaukee? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/421467-odometer-mileage-correction-milwaukee.html)

nitrorocket 06-16-2018 06:51 AM

Odometer mileage correction in Milwaukee?

Anyone know a shop local to Milwaukee that can roll back the used odometer I am installing into a 996 Turbo to match the actual miles on the vehicles current odometer? I called the local Porsche dealer, but they say they do not have the capability.

Pretty crazy that Porsche themselves doesn't have the capability to reprogram their own clusters. Guess they must have thrown that software in the garbage after they invented it... ;) Haha

If anyone can provide me a local connection, It would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Slider 06-16-2018 11:01 AM

Porsche can do it - A friend of mine had to replace his gauge cluster - they matched the miles on the new cluster to the correct mileage on the old.

techweenie 06-16-2018 11:14 AM

New gauge clusters and those under 900 miles or so can be reset. After that, no-go, officially. They are tamper-proof, Almost.

Ironically, Ferrari dealers have decided resetting the odometer is SOP.

nitrorocket 06-17-2018 09:41 AM

I'm looking for some place that will program my new(used) odometer to the actual miles on my car. Maybe I'll just buy some software and do it myself if no local shops can do this.

Sparrow 06-18-2018 05:54 AM

From what I've heard, the cluster doesn't contain the data, only displays it from the ECU...

anyone confirm?

s65e90 06-18-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by techweenie (Post 4722039)
New gauge clusters and those under 900 miles or so can be reset. After that, no-go, officially. They are tamper-proof, Almost.

Ironically, Ferrari dealers have decided resetting the odometer is SOP.

who told you that hilarious

s65e90 06-18-2018 11:28 AM

I have ZERO experience with this, but this is just one of the items listed for sale on local craigslist, along with many other OBD type computers that say they can change mileage. It's not that hard.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ptd...594543012.html

techweenie 06-18-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by s65e90 (Post 4722336)
who told you that hilarious

Have you been asleep?

https://jalopnik.com/ferrari-admits-...nge-1823368905

s65e90 06-18-2018 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by techweenie (Post 4722348)

I'm referring to the first part of your post. The Ferrari debacle, yes, is common knowledge at this point.

techweenie 06-18-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 4722273)
From what I've heard, the cluster doesn't contain the data, only displays it from the ECU...

anyone confirm?

No, the cluster contains miles data - illogical though that may seem.

Macster 06-18-2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by nitrorocket (Post 4722004)
Anyone know a shop local to Milwaukee that can roll back the used odometer I am installing into a 996 Turbo to match the actual miles on the vehicles current odometer? I called the local Porsche dealer, but they say they do not have the capability.

Pretty crazy that Porsche themselves doesn't have the capability to reprogram their own clusters. Guess they must have thrown that software in the garbage after they invented it... ;) Haha

If anyone can provide me a local connection, It would be much appreciated.

Thank you

My experience -- with my Boxster -- replacing the original factory cluster with a cluster from a used car is the factory software is restricted/limited to only changing the mileage in a new cluster to the mileage in the original cluster.

I don't know what the new cluster mileage threshold is but I suspect with a new cluster either zero miles or some special value written into the nonvolatile memory when the cluster is tested at the factory.

Second hand I know of two places that can do what you want. One is Palo Alto Speedometer located in Palo Alto CA.

The other is autoparts.repair located in Las Vegas, NV.

What I was told by the tech at autoparts.repair is he can read out of the original cluster all that is unique to the cluster, to the vehicle, and this includes the odometer mileage, and transfer this to a used cluster.

There are some other individuals that can do this. Essentially the EEPROM contents are read from the old/original cluster and then written to the new/used cluster EEPROM.

But I have no contact info handy for these other individuals.

Check with autoparts.repair or Palo Alto Speedometer and see which company can help you.

I have to believe though there is a business in the Milwaukee area that can do what either of the two above businesses can do you just haven't found the business yet.

Mark @ AIM Performance 06-19-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 4722273)

anyone confirm?

stored in cluster

daedalus 06-23-2018 11:55 AM

I went on a drive last week and one of the guys pulled one of the fuses (not sure which one) but he said it kills the cluster and the mileage isn't recorded. Had no idea this was even possible.

I wonder how many low mile examples are actually low mile examples now...