996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Press in factory 911 wheel studs on 996 turbo??

Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Press in factory 911 wheel studs on 996 turbo??

I have seen and spoken to a few people that swear by the factory 911 aircooled press in studs as opposed to the thread in. I am currently running the rennline which seem okay, but I have read about some breaking on the track. Thoughts or experiences??

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Studs are consumables. They break. Rears need replacing almost yearly. I broke 4 in turn 12 at Road Atlanta. Literally 1 stud kept me from a very bad crash. On flat tracks its not as bad, but ones with high compressive forces like Road Atlanta will eat them up. A friend of mine has a GT3 R and had a wheel come off. Same track. I don't remember the brand but they are the best around and still break. I did have some from a boxster racing place in Cali that lasted longer, can't remember names at this point but they installed with an Allen wrench on the flat end. If you run compressive tracks, have good amounts of downforce and run Hoosiers DOT or better, replace rears yearly. Cheap insurance. Fronts should last 2-3 seasons of track days.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:45 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Stop reading negative threads on the internet. Sure if racing (and mayyyyybe the street) they are consumables, but they're not snapping like twigs here. I've used em for many, many years w/out issue. My P car ones been on for years untouched in great shape.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
crash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to beholdcrash41301 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Studs are consumables. They break. Rears need replacing almost yearly. I broke 4 in turn 12 at Road Atlanta. Literally 1 stud kept me from a very bad crash. On flat tracks its not as bad, but ones with high compressive forces like Road Atlanta will eat them up. A friend of mine has a GT3 R and had a wheel come off. Same track. I don't remember the brand but they are the best around and still break. I did have some from a boxster racing place in Cali that lasted longer, can't remember names at this point but they installed with an Allen wrench on the flat end. If you run compressive tracks, have good amounts of downforce and run Hoosiers DOT or better, replace rears yearly. Cheap insurance. Fronts should last 2-3 seasons of track days.
Does ARP or someone make a stronger one? Seems like a bad engineering issue w/ Porsche to have made it where the lugs / studs / whatever will snap, even with race rubber. Never heard of that on any other car with race rubber?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:22 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crash41301
Does ARP or someone make a stronger one? Seems like a bad engineering issue w/ Porsche to have made it where the lugs / studs / whatever will snap, even with race rubber. Never heard of that on any other car with race rubber?
ARP break like the rest of them. Pretty sure the ones I broke were ARP.

Never had a problem with lug bolts though. Just studs. Can't blame Porsche.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:46 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
ARP break like the rest of them. Pretty sure the ones I broke were ARP.

Never had a problem with lug bolts though. Just studs. Can't blame Porsche.
This is pretty much the heart of the point I am trying to get info on. Everyone runs the aftermarket studs here and claims they break, but nobody runs the older factory Porsche aircooled press in ones. The down side is having to drill to press them in. But if they are more durable than the aftermarket alternatives than it seems like it is worth the modding of the hubs. The guy who suggested to run these is a race engineer. So seemed like the idea had merit. I was just hoping to find someone who had tried them.

Last edited by VAGscum; 08-01-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM
But there's many who run screw in studs w/out issues. Only people come here to complain, no one is gonna write, hey my studs still working as intended! Think about it. I wouldn't worry about them failing. Inspect them often. Change as maintenance if so desired. I don't see a need to go to a press in stud.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Based on the original post, concerning track, most everyone who runs them on track car regularly replaces them regularly. I'm just here to answer a question that was posed. Broken studs can be a very costly mistake. If you are on street tires in a novice group, or mostly street driving, it's not nearly as big of an issue. But if you track on sticky tires in advanced groups, they are going to break. Period.

They are inexpensive and easy to replace. They don't need advocacy. They are wheel studs, a basic replacement part.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Based on the original post, concerning track, most everyone who runs them on track car regularly replaces them regularly. I'm just here to answer a question that was posed. Broken studs can be a very costly mistake. If you are on street tires in a novice group, or mostly street driving, it's not nearly as big of an issue. But if you track on sticky tires in advanced groups, they are going to break. Period.

They are inexpensive and easy to replace. They don't need advocacy. They are wheel studs, a basic replacement part.
I don't discount the need to replace the thread in studs. Never questioned that. I just want to know if anyone has run the press in ones and their experiences. My apologies if I did not clearly ask that. If/when I run thread in studs, they will be replaced as a wear item. But if the press in studs are a better more reliable option that is not as failure prone as the thread in ones then I would prefer that versus the replace and pray they don't snap approach.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Personally I keep lugs with me at all times just in case. It's pretty easy to extract a broken stud and save your weekend. I almost quit the studs altogether after the near incident. I wouldnt trust anything to last forever. Press In seems like a harder to replace item should you be at the track and maybe one fails. Nothing is invincible.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
just run bolts all the time and not have to worry... never understood the big drive to go the stud route, slightly easier to install wheels and all the hassle of torqueing studs and breakage...

Old 08-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by 993GT
just run bolts all the time and not have to worry... never understood the big drive to go the stud route, slightly easier to install wheels and all the hassle of torqueing studs and breakage...

Cause all things considered a part clamped on is better than a part bolted on, at least IMO.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
This is an interesting issue to me. I have a moderately modded car and run DOT tires w/ the stock bolts on track When teching/ classing my car for pca events they insist if I add a few more performance modifications I will have to run studs with open end lug nuts. Why? Are they considered stronger, safer?

Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Rvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant futureRvca3112 has a brilliant future
Mine have been in for many years... many hard pulls... many wheel removals.

No issues. You just need to check them and clean them when you take the wheels off.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Twinturbofan
This is an interesting issue to me. I have a moderately modded car and run DOT tires w/ the stock bolts on track When teching/ classing my car for pca events they insist if I add a few more performance modifications I will have to run studs with open end lug nuts. Why? Are they considered stronger, safer?
I don't know why they would do that. Studs are not stronger What region is this?

Originally Posted by Rvca3112
Mine have been in for many years... many hard pulls... many wheel removals.

No issues. You just need to check them and clean them when you take the wheels off.
That is not the same as track use. The temps reached and extreme heat cycling combined with lateral g and braking forces cause them to fail. You can run them on the street forever. Maybe even novice track guys on street tires or r compounds for a few years. Once you get to Hoosier/slicks etc. The need to be replaced.

You can replace them at regular intervals or be hard headed and hate yourself when they snap on you. They are fairly cheap and take a hr or two to replace. Is it really worth the risk........no.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Press in factory 911 wheel studs on 996 turbo??