996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Opinions Requested: High Miles 997TT vs Low Miles 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:36 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cord4530
Beautiful car, Evoking! You're the fifth person I've read about or talked to that switched from a 7T to a 6T because they liked the early car more. I will probably know more how I feel about the 7T 24 hours from now. But in stock form I worry about the car being a little more digital than I would prefer. My past fun cars have been a MKIV Supra TT and a SW20 MR2 turbo. Both are very analog compared to the 7T.

From a long-term value standpoint I still wonder if a high miles modified 7T is a good choice at all. No doubt it would be a fun car to own and drive. But I imagine trying to sell it 10 years from now with 125k miles on it....few people will be looking for a car like that.
-Dan
I concur. For what it’s worth I was even considering a 991 Targa as the daily to keep from driving my Huracan too often. The 996 won.

Btw, where I used to not like the headlights - I now view them as kind of exotic and more special looking than all the simple round light 911’s. Btw, here is my theory about 996TT values and why.

996 Values

Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Adidas_23 is an unknown quantity at this point
agree. do the mods yourself

Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 AM
cord4530 is on a distinguished road
I wanted to say thank you to all of those who posted with their thoughts. That was very helpful for me as I was trying to weigh the different options. After spending time with the 997TT, I decided that isn't right for me at this time. It's amazing how different the two models feel, despite sharing so much in common. While I do like the electronic center differential (and more tire size options), the 997TT was much more digital than I was expecting. My opinion may change in time, but at the moment I think I do prefer the more analog 996TT.

I'm currently working with the seller of the sunroof delete car to get a PPI done, but I don't expect any surprises from that inspection. Fingers crossed that I'll be part of the 996TT community!
Thanks again.
-Dan

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Fingers crossed that the sunroof-delete 996TT ends up in your garage my friend, I'm glad you were able to determine what you need and want at this time.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Neither buy a newer Z06. Less complicated and more power with just turn of a key! But if u want a turbo get the newest that you can afford.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Waltzy23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by s65e90
I could have a 997 turbo or 996. I chose 996.

Same and...same. Interested to hear what you decide on OP

Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Waltzy23 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wanted to say thank you to all of those who posted with their thoughts. That was very helpful for me as I was trying to weigh the different options. After spending time with the 997TT, I decided that isn't right for me at this time. It's amazing how different the two models feel, despite sharing so much in common. While I do like the electronic center differential (and more tire size options), the 997TT was much more digital than I was expecting. My opinion may change in time, but at the moment I think I do prefer the more analog 996TT.

I'm currently working with the seller of the sunroof delete car to get a PPI done, but I don't expect any surprises from that inspection. Fingers crossed that I'll be part of the 996TT community!
Thanks again.
-Dan
Oops, looks like I was late to the game. Good luck on the 996TT!!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
I'm currently working with the seller of the sunroof delete car to get a PPI done, but I don't expect any surprises from that inspection. Fingers crossed that I'll be part of the 996TT community! Thanks again. -Dan
While I haven't seen it in person, Gary's car looks amazing, good luck.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by brockster
Neither buy a newer Z06. Less complicated and more power with just turn of a key! But if u want a turbo get the newest that you can afford.

I did that, lasted for 3 days and sold it.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Road King
While I haven't seen it in person, Gary's car looks amazing, good luck.
I tried really hard to buy that car. Gary was out of town but we had picked a place for a PPI. By the time he was back in town a local buyer scooped up the car before the PPI was done. I'm not going to lie...that was a pretty bad day for me.

But, the good news is I *just* found another 996TT and sealed the deal tonight. It is also seal grey, but with the X50 package. Two owners ago the guy was given spousal permission to build it how he wanted, so it's got a Guard 50/80 differential, great set of HRE wheels with new tires, PPS10's and GT3 suspension, and just had a full engine rebuild (preventative, not catastrophic) of the original engine. It also has the carbon interior package (E77) and sport seats. I'm beside myself excited about this car, and after 5 years of on/off/on shopping I'm delighted to be part of the 996TT family!

Thanks again to all of you that helped by offering your opinions and advice.
-Dan

Old 09-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm so very happy for you Dan, and cannot wait for you to get this amazing 996TT. I'll try to go through the roof swap fairly soon and can let you know how it works out in case you want to eventually do the same thing! Congratulations my friend!

Old 09-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
But, the good news is I *just* found another 996TT and sealed the deal tonight. It is also seal grey, but with the X50 package. Two owners ago the guy was given spousal permission to build it how he wanted, so it's got a Guard 50/80 differential, great set of HRE wheels with new tires, PPS10's and GT3 suspension, and just had a full engine rebuild (preventative, not catastrophic) of the original engine. It also has the carbon interior package (E77) and sport seats. I'm beside myself excited about this car, and after 5 years of on/off/on shopping I'm delighted to be part of the 996TT family! Thanks again to all of you that helped by offering your opinions and advice.
-Dan
Congrats Dan, the car sounds amazing, but as you know, gotta post some pics as soon as you take delivery!!!!!!!!

Clearly one of the benefits of relatively high 996 Turbo production is this plethora of nice cars available.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
I'm so very happy for you Dan, and cannot wait for you to get this amazing 996TT. I'll try to go through the roof swap fairly soon and can let you know how it works out in case you want to eventually do the same thing! Congratulations my friend!
Thank you, Steve! You know I'm going to be following your roof swap very closely. Supposedly the sunroof on this car does *not* rattle at all, but even if it's quiet it's also ~20 lb in the highest part of the car.
-Dan

Old 09-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Road King
Congrats Dan, the car sounds amazing, but as you know, gotta post some pics as soon as you take delivery!!!!!!!!

Clearly one of the benefits of relatively high 996 Turbo production is this plethora of nice cars available.
Thank you, Road King! I will certainly post pictures when it arrives. Currently the side scoops are black, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of. But those are easy to swap out or repaint.
I also agree at how nice it was to have so many cars to choose from. When I was searching for a 6spd hardtop MKIV Supra TT (not red, black, or white) I was trying to find 1 of about 50 that were ever produced in the US. I had to wait a long time for any car to come up for sale, then evaluate if it was one I wanted. With the 996TT there was usually about 1 car every week or two that made me think "I think I could be happy with that car." And I'm super picky :o)
-Dan

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Thank you, Steve! You know I'm going to be following your roof swap very closely. Supposedly the sunroof on this car does *not* rattle at all, but even if it's quiet it's also ~20 lb in the highest part of the car.
-Dan
I'll be sad if it's only 20 pounds, but I'll do my best to quantify the actual weights of course when the swap happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Opinions Requested: High Miles 997TT vs Low Miles 996TT