996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The oldest cliche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by soslo
Glad you're okay and the car will be okay. What suspension are you running, love the drop with the champion wheels.
Thanks! I'm running H&R coil-overs. I've got them set pretty low but there is no rubbing with 305/30/19's in the rear. I bought the car with H&R lowering springs and started with power mods. After my first DE day at the track I realized the car had more than enough power but the ride on springs was far too soft. In addition to the coil-overs I had a 997TT trans mount installed and I put in RSS engine mounts. For me, it feels perfect now. Just one more reason I wanted MY car back and not a replacement. From interior to exterior and power to handling it took years to sort it out just how I like it.

To the person who was able to get their parts in a week I'm envious. My body shop is talking about months for some of the parts.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Ouch. I've had a few close calls like that. Glad that no one was injured and it sounds like your car did its job and will live to fight another day! Love a happy ending, and I hope it doesn't take the forecast months to make it happen. Final thought, if it were to have happened to me, I'd be looking at it as a golden opportunity to do a GT2 front end conversion!

-V

Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Ouch. I've had a few close calls like that. Glad that no one was injured and it sounds like your car did its job and will live to fight another day! Love a happy ending, and I hope it doesn't take the forecast months to make it happen. Final thought, if it were to have happened to me, I'd be looking at it as a golden opportunity to do a GT2 front end conversion!

-V
Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind! In the end I was grateful to still have a clean titled car. I do love the look of a well done conversion though! Maybe next time I destroy most of the front end bodywork I'll consider it

Old 10-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrmaass
Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind! In the end I was grateful to still have a clean titled car. I do love the look of a well done conversion though! Maybe next time I destroy most of the front end bodywork I'll consider it
Next time?! Nothing like foresight, but hey... let's not be hasty.

Post a pic from time to time from the shop if you can.
-V

Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear. I have a spare OEM hood in case you can't easily get one.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Sorry to hear. I have a spare OEM hood in case you can't easily get one.
This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you offer to help out a fellow forum member. It’s great to be part of a community with people like you. I’m 99% sure the hood won’t be an issue but it’s good to know there is one out there if the need arises. Thanks!

the longest I’ve been without this car was 6 months when I had to wait for a replacement transmission from Germany in 2015-16. It really made me appreciate the simple experience of hearing the turbos during idle just after starting it up. I am definitely going to make a recording of that first minute when I get it back. I’d love to just be able to have that beautiful whistling sound behind me right now.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:15 AM
bkj
bkj is an unknown quantity at this point
Similar horrid experience

Sorry to hear your story. When I bought my seal grey 996TT it was one of my dream cars. I had just graduated and got my first really good job, and I picked up my 24k mile example before I even sorted a place to live when I moved to CA from the UK!

Not kore than 2 weeks into owning it, i was taking a perfectly legal right turn when a Pontiac Fierro swang wife on his turn left and smashed me up into a curb.

It was $22k of damage to my car and My insurance Agent didn’t total it. This was back in 2010. It took a long 6 weeks before I had it back again good as new.

It now has about 66k miles and carved corners just fine on mountain roads this morning!

Your ride will be returned to you soon thankfully.

You our are in the Bay Area from your post, correct? PM me and we can go for a drive when u get yours back!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by bkj
Sorry to hear your story. When I bought my seal grey 996TT it was one of my dream cars. I had just graduated and got my first really good job, and I picked up my 24k mile example before I even sorted a place to live when I moved to CA from the UK!

Not kore than 2 weeks into owning it, i was taking a perfectly legal right turn when a Pontiac Fierro swang wife on his turn left and smashed me up into a curb.

It was $22k of damage to my car and My insurance Agent didn’t total it. This was back in 2010. It took a long 6 weeks before I had it back again good as new.

It now has about 66k miles and carved corners just fine on mountain roads this morning!

Your ride will be returned to you soon thankfully.

You our are in the Bay Area from your post, correct? PM me and we can go for a drive when u get yours back!
That is a very encouraging story I'll take you up on that offer. While there are many things to complain about in the Bay Area (housing prices above all!) one thing we do have are some of the best scenic mountain roads in the country for sheer driving pleasure. Hwy 9...US 1...Mount Hamilton...the list is endless.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Christmas Came Early!

I got the car back yesterday and it looks better than it did when I bought it. I am so happy with the work. The final bill: $24,000 - 11,000 more than the estimate! I am happy my insurance company took care of it without a problem. I took these pictures today. It isn't even clean but looks fantastic.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Nice! A very Merry X'Mas Mrmaass lol

Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
where are you in the bay area? Swear i saw that car in walnut creek the other day. Gave the driver a thumbs up, i was in my '63 impala (total obnoxious lowrider)

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
where are you in the bay area? Swear i saw that car in walnut creek the other day. Gave the driver a thumbs up, i was in my '63 impala (total obnoxious lowrider)

I'm in the East Bay and haven't had a chance to drive to Walnut Creek since I picked it up. Maybe it was the body shop tech taking a joyride I would definitely remember seeing a slammed '63.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:51 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mrmaass
I'm in the East Bay and haven't had a chance to drive to Walnut Creek since I picked it up. Maybe it was the body shop tech taking a joyride I would definitely remember seeing a slammed '63.

would love to connect, would love to see what those alpha's are like compared to my 1668's