996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:25 PM
valleyofpalm is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust suggestions?

Just picked up a new to me 996 TT, 2004 model tiptronic. It still has the factory exhaust but I am wanting to upgrade. I have been looking at Kline and AWE systems. Any recommendations on something to provide a little more horsepower but not too annoying at idle? If it exists I would prefer something that sounds deep (but not silly) at acceleration.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
You are on the right track with 2 very good and proven systems... I have one from a different vendor, and am VERY VERY happy with the sound, but equally disappointed with the build quality. I have no need or desire to change mine. Mainly because I have put several hours into: fitting it up, aligning it perfectly, repairing a hole that developed at a hanger weld, and customizing it to accept stock tips... all of this over the course of 3 years. I have finally got it the way I want it.

Anyway, if I was doing it all over again, I'd strongly consider Soul Performance instead. This behind the scenes really impressed me.

I have never heard one of their exhausts in real life, and have zero affiliation... but I think it's worth maybe giving them a call and/or including them in your research.

Last edited by Stebo; 12-14-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely check them out.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:47 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
SpeedTech. Had it on a personal 996TT and sold many systems to clients. That and Akrapovic are my favorite 911TT systems.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Which SpeedTech system do you recommend?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by valleyofpalm
Which SpeedTech system do you recommend?
3.0 X-cellerator "race". I prefer the with OEM tips.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
I've been a happy Kline customer for almost 4 years. Recently I re-installed the stock exhaust to get through CA smog testing, and I was very surprised to learn that the Kline is barely louder than stock at idle and not much louder at cruise speed. WOT is a whole different story though, the Kline screams just the way you'd expect with the pedal to the floor.

So many options now for the 996 Turbo exhausts...Kline, Speedtech, Soul Performance, Unobtainium, Markski/911 Tuning....!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
hands DOWN the kline 2.5 w 200 cell cats ( for street ) sam@bydesignauto has them in stock. i only bought one.

the kline folks, felix etc are not playing.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
iPE offers an incredible system for your 996 Turbo that not only brings the most out of the engine in regards to the sound but also with power gains as well. They offer the valvetronic muffler with either sport cats or cat bypass pipe and you can also add their performance headers as well. If you have any questions I'll be here to assist ya.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:41 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by valleyofpalm
Just picked up a new to me 996 TT, 2004 model tiptronic. If it exists I would prefer something that sounds deep (but not silly) at acceleration.
I have an '04 996TT tiptronic as well and have been through the trial and error process of selecting an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't drone. I finally got it right on my third try. Just know that tiptronic equipped 996TTs will have more drone than manual transmission cars since you have less ability to routinely change the gearing to move the engine out of the engine rpm drone range (1,900 - 2,400). If your tiptronic has the X50 option, then the drone will be even worse due to the larger turbos. If you're not concerned about brain-numbing drone, and some owners aren't, then get whatever suits your fancy.

But, if you want to avoid disappointment, just buy yourself a Europipe and be done with it. You can PM me for details; I don't wish to publicly disparage some of the over-hyped exhausts being sold.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:02 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
very happy with my kline. Originally had 100 cell cats with it, now catless

Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
There is an easy fix for the drone issues (if you don't want to dump your exhaust)... Just make a stainless steel insert that looks like a washer and is the diameter of your exhaust on the outside, remove your tips and put the insert on the exhaust, then put the tips back on. You can decide how much drone you want to handle by the size of the opening. Yes, this does create a little back pressure but that's what's missing and causing your drone. It takes a minute or so to remove when you go to the track - if you even think it's worth removing. It is amazing how small the ring needs to be to stop the drone.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:59 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Slider
There is an easy fix for the drone issues (if you don't want to dump your exhaust)... Just make a stainless steel insert that looks like a washer and is the diameter of your exhaust on the outside, remove your tips and put the insert on the exhaust, then put the tips back on. You can decide how much drone you want to handle by the size of the opening. Yes, this does create a little back pressure but that's what's missing and causing your drone. It takes a minute or so to remove when you go to the track - if you even think it's worth removing. It is amazing how small the ring needs to be to stop the drone.
I've always been told turbos 'like' a certain amount of backpressure.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i can imagine how a tip might contribute to drone given you're dealing with a benz in your porsche. but kline 2.5 exhausts do not drone when used catless or catted. in my experience.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
but kline 2.5 exhausts do not drone when used catless or catted. in my experience.
That is a true statement. I've just come off about 3 years of running with a 2.5" Kline de-cat. I'm now using the Kline with their direct fit HJS 200 cell sport cats. No drove ever. It's now time to at least attempt to run a smog legal tune with the Kline exhaust and 100 octane for my weekend warrior. I just moved across the Bay though, and I while I will undoubtedly drive more, 100 octane is twice as close as when I was in SF. Sound volume at both idle and cruise is not much more than stock. WOT is a whole different story with decats, and I'm looking forward to testing out the HJS Sport Cats very soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust suggestions?