996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear Wing Mechanism question

Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 AM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Rear Wing Mechanism question

The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed

Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eds996tt
The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed
Could be the switch.

However it might be something else. I gave away my Bentley book on the Porsche 996 so I have nothing to refer to but I'd check for if there is a separate relay for operating the spoiler via the dash switch.

If the spoiler is operating without any signs of any issues, and the hydraulic system is leak free, I'd just leave the spoiler alone. Just keep an eye out for any leak sign which is a precursor to the spoiler deploying crooked and only when (if) the system leaks or manifests other signs of any issues send the unit out to be rebuilt.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 AM
eds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of lighteds996tt is a glorious beacon of light
Good point "Relay" i'm not sure perhaps someone has some information on this... thanks

Old 01-12-2019, 08:47 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
first time i'd ever heard of dash switch issues with our spoilers. i thought i had heard of every imaginable issue.

in addition to the myriad numbers of fixed wing options and/or dave's rennkit. kevin at UMW now makes a ram repair kit. something to think about. dash switch again, is a "new one" to me. GL w it.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
All of the console switches are connected to relays - I can't tell you where they are located though...

Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 AM
drinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of light
Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:31 AM
tnE30fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by drinaldis
Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.
It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM
drinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of lightdrinaldis is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by tnE30fan
It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

got it

Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Twinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud ofTwinturbofan has much to be proud of
May be silly comment, but ignition has to be on for switch to work. Also +1 if it's working and not leaking, leave as is.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:56 AM
Nothing is ever silly when it comes to these cars... So this is getting interesting. I know the operation of the rear wing and how it works and the ignition switch needs to be on. I have 911's for over 18 years. So now it seems there is a glitch that i cant explain. Last summer while driving the car i could raise the wing (hold button in for 5 seconds or so) see wing come up from rear view mirror. Same as when I clean the car with ignition on to clean underneath.

Later in the summer Switch did not work (standing still). This went on for months... i tried it from time to time... nothing. I did notice a drop of fluid at the bottom of each plastic assembly. Not alot but i cleaned it.
However on the highway at speed it comes up and goes down normally (manual switch does not work). Then last week i plan on sending the assembly out to be rebuilt but decided to post first a few weeks back to get any feedback from others. I read the response and think well perhaps go in the garage (keep in mind i only use the car once a month if that) and try again.

Well guess what... it goes up and down. So now what ? i open the lid and check for any leaks,,, i see nothing.It is dry.. so something is going on. Do i send it out to be rebuilt or just wait for it to die....

Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
You car is telling you that it is not in a hurry and you can have the work done when it is most convenient for you. You have a very thoughtful car. (Mine tends to demand stuff!)

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
If she's cooperative just let her be.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM
I thought about this issue today and undersatnd why ithe wing is working. Colder weather thickens the oil hence probably why it works in cold vs warm weather. There may not be enough oil in the system. To be safe i will pull it aprt and send it out to be rebuilt.. At least while ithe wing is up i can remove the rams. When down i'm not sure of the options. So makes sence to fix it now.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:41 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Oil viscosity does not play a role. It is a closed hydraulic system. More likely a switch, relay (there are two under parcel shelf, drivers side) or cluster ECU. The 2 micro switches on the right side ram are very finicky as well. Much to go bad.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:12 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
question, can the "speed" control be totally disabled so the wing will go up or down on the switch action only? Or is it possible to add a resistor to keep the thing down till like 100mph ? Drives me nuts having it go up and down all the time.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Wing Mechanism question