6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Rear Wing Mechanism question (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/427917-rear-wing-mechanism-question.html)

eds996tt 01-12-2019 06:52 AM

Rear Wing Mechanism question

The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed

Macster 01-12-2019 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by eds996tt (Post 4760003)
The rear wing deploys at speed without issue. The motion of up and down is fine and there is no leaking on either side.
Lately when I wash the car I would use the switch to send wing up for cleaning. I believe The switch is not working.

Curious is this the Dash Switch or something else ?? Do I just order the switch/install and try ?

My plan If I get it to go up manually Is to remove the wing & hydraulic system. Then send it out hydraulic system for rebuilding. Bacically to be safe Replace the plastic block and seals.
I understand we have fixed wing and other “tail & spoiler” options but not sure I want to go this path. Hard to find spoiler and rear wing i like.
Thanks Ed

Could be the switch.

However it might be something else. I gave away my Bentley book on the Porsche 996 so I have nothing to refer to but I'd check for if there is a separate relay for operating the spoiler via the dash switch.

If the spoiler is operating without any signs of any issues, and the hydraulic system is leak free, I'd just leave the spoiler alone. Just keep an eye out for any leak sign which is a precursor to the spoiler deploying crooked and only when (if) the system leaks or manifests other signs of any issues send the unit out to be rebuilt.

eds996tt 01-12-2019 08:34 AM

Good point "Relay" i'm not sure perhaps someone has some information on this... thanks

'02996ttx50 01-12-2019 08:47 AM

first time i'd ever heard of dash switch issues with our spoilers. i thought i had heard of every imaginable issue.

in addition to the myriad numbers of fixed wing options and/or dave's rennkit. kevin at UMW now makes a ram repair kit. something to think about. dash switch again, is a "new one" to me. GL w it.

Slider 01-12-2019 08:49 AM

All of the console switches are connected to relays - I can't tell you where they are located though...

drinaldis 01-12-2019 09:35 AM

Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.

tnE30fan 01-14-2019 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by drinaldis (Post 4760028)
Just a thought. I think you have to hold the button as it's going up. It's not a tap and go thing.

It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

drinaldis 01-14-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tnE30fan (Post 4760248)
It's not, at least not on my 2001. A momentary push deploys the wing all the way up. However, to lower it you do need to hold down the switch until it's fully lowered. (In other words, on its way down the wing stops in its tracks whenever you release the switch.)

got it

Twinturbofan 01-15-2019 08:25 PM

May be silly comment, but ignition has to be on for switch to work. Also +1 if it's working and not leaking, leave as is.

eds996tt 01-17-2019 06:56 AM

Nothing is ever silly when it comes to these cars... So this is getting interesting. I know the operation of the rear wing and how it works and the ignition switch needs to be on. I have 911's for over 18 years. So now it seems there is a glitch that i cant explain. Last summer while driving the car i could raise the wing (hold button in for 5 seconds or so) see wing come up from rear view mirror. Same as when I clean the car with ignition on to clean underneath.

Later in the summer Switch did not work (standing still). This went on for months... i tried it from time to time... nothing. I did notice a drop of fluid at the bottom of each plastic assembly. Not alot but i cleaned it.
However on the highway at speed it comes up and goes down normally (manual switch does not work). Then last week i plan on sending the assembly out to be rebuilt but decided to post first a few weeks back to get any feedback from others. I read the response and think well perhaps go in the garage (keep in mind i only use the car once a month if that) and try again.

Well guess what... it goes up and down. So now what ? i open the lid and check for any leaks,,, i see nothing.It is dry.. so something is going on. Do i send it out to be rebuilt or just wait for it to die....

Slider 01-17-2019 08:05 AM

You car is telling you that it is not in a hurry and you can have the work done when it is most convenient for you. You have a very thoughtful car. (Mine tends to demand stuff!)

Stebo 01-17-2019 08:28 AM

If she's cooperative just let her be.

eds996tt 01-18-2019 06:09 PM

I thought about this issue today and undersatnd why ithe wing is working. Colder weather thickens the oil hence probably why it works in cold vs warm weather. There may not be enough oil in the system. To be safe i will pull it aprt and send it out to be rebuilt.. At least while ithe wing is up i can remove the rams. When down i'm not sure of the options. So makes sence to fix it now.

DaveCarrera4S 01-19-2019 12:41 PM

Oil viscosity does not play a role. It is a closed hydraulic system. More likely a switch, relay (there are two under parcel shelf, drivers side) or cluster ECU. The 2 micro switches on the right side ram are very finicky as well. Much to go bad.

DERBOOST 01-23-2019 09:12 AM

question, can the "speed" control be totally disabled so the wing will go up or down on the switch action only? Or is it possible to add a resistor to keep the thing down till like 100mph ? Drives me nuts having it go up and down all the time.

Slider 01-23-2019 09:33 AM

You can't change the deployment speed - that is a CPU issue as is the deployment at speed function. You can put it up or down and disable it completely though - just disconnect power to the motor and tape the micro-switches.

DERBOOST 01-23-2019 09:44 AM

Thanks, figured that, oh well

DaveCarrera4S 01-23-2019 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DERBOOST (Post 4762185)
question, can the "speed" control be totally disabled so the wing will go up or down on the switch action only? Or is it possible to add a resistor to keep the thing down till like 100mph ? Drives me nuts having it go up and down all the time.

up and down all the time? Goes up at 75 and down at 37 mph. Are you racing between stop lights? ;o)

DERBOOST 01-23-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S (Post 4762305)

up and down all the time? Goes up at 75 and down at 37 mph. Are you racing between stop lights? ;o)

Yeah we drive fast in Montana...lmao be nice if it went up at 100, down at 50 And with most of our speed limits 75 and no points for up to 10 over (20 buck fine) the thing gets a workout for sure, may just put my fixed wing back on or hard wire it to the switch.

Watched your videos, thats a really nice kit you do there for sure !!

eds996tt 02-02-2019 07:45 AM

Just to update folks on this wing issue. I considered all the options... fixed wing... GT2 options-stuff and decided that I purchased this car for what it was 10 years ago. Hence decided to remove the entire wing hydraulic/electric harness assembly. While the car has 32 k on it and rather than do a component inspection of each functioning part. Understanding Many potential breaking points & things that can go wrong.
Then considered age of this car and enjoyment over the years. I ordered the entire rear spoiler assembly and will install when it arrives along with new relay.
At least it will last for another 10 years... I hope…..

gadangit 02-02-2019 09:34 AM

I've been pondering this myself and see Suncoast has it listed for sale around $2k. Have you talked with anyone on whether the new units are better than what came on the car?

Stebo 02-02-2019 09:46 AM

Kevin at UMW will rebuild them. It's worth a phone call. He did mine and they are fine now. Much cheaper than an all new set for sure.

Prior to that, I sent them to the ebay guys in South Florida, but the fix only lasted about a year. Was about to scrap the whole setup and go with the EBwerks system until, while talking to Kevin about a possible tune, he mentioned that he can fix them and that his method makes them "rebuildable" in the future. I'm not clear on his exact process but I am having no problems since he addressed mine. After that I felt confident enough to continue doing business with him and later purched a tune. I 100% would do it all again the same way.

I remember him saying that if the hardware has too much wear, there's nothing that can be done. He'll give you the rundown if you call him.

I have not seen any info indicating that the new OEM units have been updated in any way. Please share if anyone finds out that they have been.

eds996tt 02-02-2019 09:56 AM

gadangit... i called and talked with a number of people. The rebuilf option is good however it does not cover electric motor or lines. If lines need to be replaced price will go up. So a moving target. While the rebuild option improves components when it is apart there may be a issue with "gear drive" component of the pump. Then the motor may work or may stop after a period of time on the car. Then start all over again??? Buy new + money spent on rebuild... Not for me..So I will use the old parts for a Light in my shop... The light will go up and down...
Hence the list of issues goes on and on. Then if you send it out it may be determined that it cant be fixed. Hence all the possible issues of rebuilding a complete system may be fustrating. When you look at the component cost, each part is expensive. Hence why nickle and dime this 18 year old original assembly. with 32 k on it.. If the individual parts were very inexpensive i would have possibly gone down this path.

With regard to "Is new any better" The new may or may not be any better. I didnt even ask this question. Being all the parts, Rams, hyd hoses, pump, micro switches & harness will be New I decided to replace it all one time.. Call Sonnen Porsche ask for Daryl in parts...Mention my namne Ed .This guy went out of his way to answer all my questions and confirmed with Porsche teck....
My experience Suncoast in Florida... Stay away from that dealer the parts guys would not help and poor customer service

gadangit 02-02-2019 10:13 AM

Good info Stebo and Ed. I was hoping Porsche updated the wing unit like so many other parts over the years.
I lean towards OEM parts when I can, so interested in your install write up! (no pressure. :) )

Chris

eds996tt 03-01-2019 07:00 PM

Folks Just a update. I did the install last week. It took 2 hours. I did not take any pictures it was to cold. I did the install with the lid in place. No issue just keep in mind
its upside down install.
Some of the house cleaning details:.
Cover the engine bay with a large blankek. In case you drop a bolt. Then find a plank of wood. 1 foot wide by the length of the engine bay.. Lay that over the blanket.
The box that the parts came in will be move into place.
The complete assembly comes plug and play. When i removed everything weeks ago i cleaned up all the parts. Waxed the inside of deck lid and just cleaned up all parts.
Heck it sits in the garage so it never gets dirty.. waste of car right... Then bolt everthing up loose. One RAM AT A TIME. Then the hyduralic cylinder is next. Plug in all the connections. Tail light and the main harness.

At this point all bolts are in place but loose. Move the hydraulic lines in place. So the hoses are not stressed. Fit and adjustment takes a little time but no worries.
Then Drop the lifd and install the wing. Then open the lid tighten everything up. I did this by myself no help.

I moved the wing up and down with no issues and then took it out for a ride to confirm the wing comes up at speed. No issues. Anyone can do this if you can change your oil. Sometimes just takes a push from the crowd here to motivate us.. Total cost 2 k.. I'm planning the next project...later...

Slider 03-02-2019 09:15 AM

Good work!

It literally takes one minute to remove the deck lid. It is well worth the effort to just take it off and do all of this work inside on a nice comfortable bench.

(Pop the lid, disconnect the wiring harness. With one hand, hold the lid up, with the other remove the screws with a cordless ratchet. Lift & remove)