996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who’s the Artic Silver Metallic touch-up Guru?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:03 PM
wab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud of
Who’s the Artic Silver Metallic touch-up Guru?

Normal driving nicks in my 2002Artic Silver metallic, 92U.Looking for the master of silver metallic paint to share their experience, strength & hope.
thanks,
Billy

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Arctic silver is tricky. The paint has no color/tint. The "color" comes from the metal (alum.) particles in the paint. Their size, shape and orientation all play a role in the "color" they produce.

The size and shape are controlled by the paint maker: Spies-Hecker, Glasurit, and Standox. Spies-Hecker and Standox are Dupont paints, Glasurit is made by BASF,

The orientation of the metal particles is controlled by temperature, humidity, paint gun, air pressure, skill of the painter, alignment of the minor planets.

But the above probably doesn't play that big of a role in paint touch up, dealing with just small driving "nicks".

Might mention that I never bothered with these with my arctic silver Turbo or my lapis blue Boxster or my red or white or yellow other cars. Pretty much over the years what I've done is leave these alone unless bare metal is showing, and the chips never were that deep.

But if you want to look into touching up the small paint chips, google "porsche paint touch up" and check the links. I think you'll find some good info.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
macster. who sold his turbo for a muscle car, yet still a wealth of detailed information

GL with touch up paint. Porsche sells it ( as you know ). it never does what you hope it will. again.

GL

Old 04-26-2019, 07:49 AM
wab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud ofwab_jr has much to be proud of
Thanks for the shared experience & insights. I well understand minor planet alignment compounded by a less than “damn good” result. I had assumed that this would be the case but was eternally hopeful that there would be a new spell.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I just remove my bumper every couple of years and do a full repaint in my "professional" paint booth. It's not showroom quality, but it's better than dents & bugs. Here is a pic of some projects in my paint booth...

Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
If you purchase the Porsche touch up paint, it is too thick. You'll probably get best results thinning the paint a bit with lacquer thinner. Depending on the scratch, build up thin coats over time with a toothpick or something that is not a brush. After you build it to a level slightly above surface level, let it dry a couple of days then polish it down. Will never be perfect, but I've done when had Arctic Silver Porsche.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute