6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   My engine hood on my 996 Turbo will not open (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/431328-my-engine-hood-my-996-turbo-will-not-open.html)

BOOSTTT 05-14-2019 03:08 PM

My engine hood on my 996 Turbo will not open

Hey guys. I'm having a problem with my engine/rear hood opening on my 03 996 Turbo. The front trunk opens as usual, but the engine compartment release is not doing anything. I can't hear it make any sound at all. I was able to get to the manual release behind the light and it popped open easily. Now I'm afraid to close the lid again until I can figure out what to do. I do not want to go fishing for the trunk release again. No motor sound, so I'm guessing it has no contact due to corrosion or maybe the motor went out? Please steer me in the right direction before I start getting too anxious and really mess something up. It's a problem I have never had to deal with before. Thank you very much in advance. Super bummed.

BOOSTTT 05-14-2019 03:50 PM

I have narrowed it down.....I think....to fuse C3. It was blown, so I replaced it, but the two poles have no continuity. The fuse is not blowing, but no continuity? Now I know it's electrical now, but why on earth would the fuse box have lost contact between the two poles of fuse C3? Please help!

Stebo 05-14-2019 03:59 PM

I'd check the switch, and then the relay

BOOSTTT 05-14-2019 05:14 PM

OK.....I just removed as much as possible to start pulling and tracing wires and I found 3 wires apparently chewed on by a pack rat. One brown, one red and a blue/white. Soldered on new wire and now everything is fine. Whew! I was worried it was going to be a big deal. Now the big deal is how to keep those freakin rodents away from my beloved Porsche! Only the second time I found chewed wires in a car. last time was about 15 years ago and that car was parked outside. I have no idea how one could fit into a space no bigger than maybe 4mm wide!? I found only 2 poops, so maybe he was just passing through. Desert is great for cars when it comes to rust. They don't, but UV is something to protect against and workers JUST cleared a ton of desert away from my house, maybe 50 yards from my home to start more building and road widening. Finding gigantic snakes and lizards everywhere now. Guess the rodents are moving in too. I leave my garage lights on...15 years straight after the first incident. The light usually deters them, but not this time. I'm really lucky it was not WAY worse. They are incredibly destructive. Glad it's fixed and didn't see any other things that appeared messed with. Glad it's fixed. Now for those pesky rodents!!!!!

BOOSTTT 05-14-2019 08:45 PM

So happy to have my baby back. I really love this car. Just spent about $200 on rat traps and poison. My garage is covered in traps and poison now. I also replaced my lights with very bright ones in my garage. I think the lights help the most. Peace guys!

911MTB 05-17-2019 12:42 PM

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

gadangit 05-17-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BOOSTTT (Post 4782210)
OK.....I just removed as much as possible to start pulling and tracing wires and I found 3 wires apparently chewed on by a pack rat. One brown, one red and a blue/white. Soldered on new wire and now everything is fine. Whew! I was worried it was going to be a big deal. Now the big deal is how to keep those freakin rodents away from my beloved Porsche! Only the second time I found chewed wires in a car. last time was about 15 years ago and that car was parked outside. I have no idea how one could fit into a space no bigger than maybe 4mm wide!? I found only 2 poops, so maybe he was just passing through. Desert is great for cars when it comes to rust. They don't, but UV is something to protect against and workers JUST cleared a ton of desert away from my house, maybe 50 yards from my home to start more building and road widening. Finding gigantic snakes and lizards everywhere now. Guess the rodents are moving in too. I leave my garage lights on...15 years straight after the first incident. The light usually deters them, but not this time. I'm really lucky it was not WAY worse. They are incredibly destructive. Glad it's fixed and didn't see any other things that appeared messed with. Glad it's fixed. Now for those pesky rodents!!!!!

I feel your pain. My car literally stopped running while I was driving it because of these pesky buggers. At the time I had no idea what the problem was and a Porsche dealer chased it down and spent the better part of a week splicing wires back together. Glad you got it sorted. Sorry to hear about the loss of desert habitat.