6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Source for New K28 turbo or upgrade k-16 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/432385-source-new-k28-turbo-upgrade-k-16-a.html)

rickjaffe 06-28-2019 05:15 PM

Source for New K28 turbo or upgrade k-16

I have an 04 996 turbo which has been upgraded to most of the 700 package, but before I bought the car 5 years ago.
I broke a turbo going over a speed bump (probably) and I have to replace it. I don't know who did the install but it was someplace in california. Car was based in SoCal. It has k-28's, with a tial component. I don't know the exact components parts, but I can find out. Where could I get one. I've heard third hand that they should be replaced in pairs.
I had though it was garret who manufactures them. Any place to buy direct from them or do I have to go to a place like sharkwerks. I've got an expert 911 guy who has a 996 turbo, so I have high confidence about he install, and I've been exploring buying K -16 cores and having them rebuilt to higher specs, and lower start of boost, from a well respected florida turbo guy. My concern with that route is I don't have the K-16s and how do you really know that they are crack free or servicable.
doing the upgrade on the k -16 will for sure require a retune, but perhaps that might not be necessary if I just by the same k 28? Is that a realistic hope?

would appreciate any advice. since the car is apart, I'll probably finish up the missing parts of the 700 package which is bigger injectors and gt2 intercooler.
thoughts?
thanks,
rick jaffe

brnrdtns 06-29-2019 09:29 AM

You had Tial A28's then? That sucks, those are very expensive. If it could be repaired that would be ideal. It doesn't matter if one turbo is rebuilt and the other isn't so long as they are the same spec turbo. If you get injectors you will need a new tune as well. You can do K16 billets fairly cheap. I'd call Markski @ markskituning.com

rickjaffe 06-29-2019 04:45 PM

I don't think I had tials k 28's. they are crazy expensive, like 5 k each. I think I had a hybrid garrett, which I hear they don't make anymore. I'm getting some resistence to buying just one, and/or they don't make them anymore and the tials are the replacement. One option may be to get some k 16 cores and upgrade them to higher specs, maybe up to 1.2 down from my previous 1.4. I wish I could get back to my 1.4 and just replace one turbo, and no tune if that were an option.

brnrdtns 06-29-2019 05:16 PM

Looks like you'll have to get a set of K16 billets with a new tune then if you can't find another of whatever it is you have. I've never even heard of K28's on this site and I've been here since 2012.

HotRodGuy 06-30-2019 01:49 PM

Sam@bydesign is your man. Sambo here on the board. He's SoCal based.

brnrdtns 06-30-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodGuy (Post 4788970)
Sam@bydesign is your man. Sambo here on the board. He's SoCal based.

Agree. A set of K16 billets and Sambo's Cobb tuning are what you need. If you're going more hard core then I'd call Markski.

HotRodGuy 06-30-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by brnrdtns (Post 4788983)
Agree. A set of K16 billets and Sambo's Cobb tuning are what you need. If you're going more hard core then I'd call Markski.

I don't think there's a reason to hold out on Sam even if you are going bigger then k16B's.

pwdrhound 06-30-2019 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by brnrdtns (Post 4788983)

I went about as hardcore as you can go and went with Sam whom I would highly recommend. Marek is a very good choice and a super helpful guy also but the Cobb Accessport that Sam uses for tuning makes the choice easy as it is very handy for doing on the fly logs without having to deal with laptops, etc.

To the OP, I have an almost new set of K16s if you need great condition low mileage cores.

rickw30 07-01-2019 05:44 AM

If you are upgrading I/C's and injectors you will most definitely be in need of a re-tune.
Hmmm... The turbos... If your coming from an old alpha 28 maybe you should consider a new set it Xona XR 770. They are a little pricey but from what I've heard they are well worth it. I purchased a set ( from Sam ) but have not yet set them up. Maybe Pwdrhound will chime in as he has recently moved up to the larger set of the XR 's.
Either way, giving a call to Sam for a little chat is a good start. He is a great guy !

jdexter 07-01-2019 06:13 AM

I have xona xr 770s. Came from Markski's billet k16s. The xonas spool a little faster, and flow better to redline. However the billet k16s are fast and fun also. Look at the cost, if your wallet is ok with xona money, go for it. Billets are 90% of xonas for like half price. If you do buy xonas, read my other thread and get some green wastegate springs.

rickjaffe 07-01-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jdexter (Post 4789036)
I have xona xr 770s. Came from Markski's billet k16s. The xonas spool a little faster, and flow better to redline. However the billet k16s are fast and fun also. Look at the cost, if your wallet is ok with xona money, go for it. Billets are 90% of xonas for like half price. If you do buy xonas, read my other thread and get some green wastegate springs.

I hear billet k 16's put in the boost about 2800 which is almost 1k rpm less than my K28's. I have to admit I operate in stealth mode much of the time, because not stealth with all that extra power and aftermarket exhaust would make me pretty unwelcome around where I live, so I now shift much of the time around 3.5k, to keep it quiet unless or until I'm on a back road or a highway.
The k 16 builder I indirectly interacted with said 1.2 boost was possible. I was getting 1.4, and when I do hammer it, it's like the gates of hell open up and I go into warp drive.
don't want to give that up. That and 270 degree turns on off ramps are about as much fun you can have legally and not on a track.
I"m not going to spend 5k each on a turbo so that leaves the direct replacement tial alpa K28 out.
will reach out to sam.
thx for the advice.

pwdrhound 07-01-2019 01:10 PM

I don't know where you guys are getting your prices but a brand new pair of Xona XR980 turbos are $5000, that's for both, not EACH. The $5K includes all the water lines and supporting bits and pieces. The XR770 may be a bit cheaper.

'02996ttx50 07-02-2019 08:35 PM

same thread different site. i'll say it again..

for a street car, why replace one turbo that doesn't hit full boost til 3800? that's why folks hated the oem x50 k24's. lag was awful.

there are a few folks in SoCal that have rebuilt the original 16's and that's where many are and have been from. this is really old ( albeit proven and reliable tech )

the legendary la based shop i have used sent them to "their guy" and sambo here has been making them available for over 10 years at least. kevin @umw is another source and has made the 16/24 hybrids and would of course have newer billet wheels like the other folks..

my suggestion, since you think you need only "one" replacement of the 28? bad idea. just get a new set of 16/24's and of course to optimize, you'll need to re-tune but.

you'll hit 1.2 from 2500 on wot pulls all day long. 3800 rpm is interminably too long lol.

these cars parts, come in "pairs". never do "one" without doing the other. GL with it.

just read your post here. "full boost on an offramp" is fun? wait for rain, and try it again lol.

what you need ( based upon your stated situation and usage ) is just either billet 16's or the 16/24's.

brnrdtns 07-02-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by pwdrhound (Post 4789015)
I went about as hardcore as you can go and went with Sam whom I would highly recommend. Marek is a very good choice and a super helpful guy also but the Cobb Accessport that Sam uses for tuning makes the choice easy as it is very handy for doing on the fly logs without having to deal with laptops, etc.

To the OP, I have an almost new set of K16s if you need great condition low mileage cores.

I would argue that you have Sam and Cervelli. Markski has the technical know how to diagnose serious issues because he's got the grease under his fingernails. That is what I mean when I said hardcore.