996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

took the turbo in the snow last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
took the turbo in the snow last night

Well finally got to test out the snow tires in the January Storm here in NYC. I drove for two hours to long island and back in the height of the storm. The car was beyond great. However, watching all the other cars left me a bit nervous. I felt that although the turbo was amazing, the other cars had no business being on the road.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
I had the G500 in the snow last night, it did pretty well.

Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
One of my fears always is that if i was forced to stop abruptly I know the TT brakes are better thany any car out there so getting rear ended is a high risk....especially on wet roads!!

Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
That may be true Mansour, but I can be goign 40mph in the snow and have turbo brakes, but I can brake as hard as I want, but there is no brake for the rules of physics---my car will continue skidding on this snow---momentum.

Thats why I rock the Caddy in the winter

Old 01-28-2004, 03:14 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
I had the cayenne out last night and as usual....Damn Awful with these 19inch wheels and P Rossos!

I've been waiting over 2 months for my winter wheel/tire setup but I just received word that they will be here on Friday! Thank God!

Old 01-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by BCS996TT
I had the cayenne out last night and as usual....Damn Awful with these 19inch wheels and P Rossos!

I've been waiting over 2 months for my winter wheel/tire setup but I just received word that they will be here on Friday! Thank God!
Bill, I have heard from two dealerships thier customers are encountering the same problem, many complaints about it.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by JASCLASS
Bill, I have heard from two dealerships thier customers are encountering the same problem, many complaints about it.
Yeah...they're really bad in the snow. I knew that they would be pretty lousy in the snow...but anyone with these tires should really use caution when going out in even the slightest snow fall. You're just asking for an accident to happen.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I had mine out in the ice storm then the snow storm two nights ago. Right now the whole think looks like a salt lick in 5 degree weather. The system does very well. Stopping on 315s is a bear, but the car does very well. Little slow and worried that a knucklehead was going to run into me. I swear people look at me like I am from out of space!

Old 01-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Dabum is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill take my hummer over anything else in the snow.

It was fantastic during the huge storm we had up in canada this week.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Colin@PES is on a distinguished road
PorschePhD
You mean your not from outer space
well that is a let down!!!

Colin

Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Re: took the turbo in the snow last night

Originally posted by MWILENS
Well finally got to test out the snow tires in the January Storm here in NYC. I drove for two hours to long island and back in the height of the storm. The car was beyond great. However, watching all the other cars left me a bit nervous. I felt that although the turbo was amazing, the other cars had no business being on the road.
Mike, Is the TT your only car, the reason I ask is I am just curious why you are driving it in the snow?

Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
drbill will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Dabum
Ill take my hummer over anything else in the snow.

It was fantastic during the huge storm we had up in canada this week.
My hummer performed great yesterday in snow here in NY. In contrast to last year using my tt in winter now I can't wait for snow with the H2!

Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
MWILENS is on a distinguished road
Yes it is the daily driver

I drove it in the snow for three reasons. First yes it is my only car that I keep in the City. My family has many cars that we swap when necessary but living in NYC with more then one car is costly. I only drive in the summer or on weekends in that I live and work in the city. Second, I wanted to see how the car handled and had to paid a visit to someone on the Island in the middle of the storm. We also have an ML truck and 500 sedan fourmatic. The Ml truck is terrible in any weather. Although I drove and wrote articles on driving in the snow last year, I don't recommend it. The car was perfect but the other drivers came to close for comfort. I disagree that a truck is a necessary second car in light of all the new four wheel drive cars these days. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, ect unless you need the room for kids and skiing.