6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Getting a 996TT: Tiptronic or Manual? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/6020-getting-996tt-tiptronic-manual.html)

All Boost 01-31-2004 12:06 PM

Buying a 996TT: Tiptronic or Manual?

Hey everyone,

I'm the current owner of a 550HP 2003 Z06. I'm selling it though and am thinking of buying a 2001 911 Turbo. I'm having a tough time choosing between the tiptronic or 6 speed manual. I have a few questions about the tiptronic trans that I was hoping somebody might be able to answer...

1) How reliable is the tranny at around 450-500whp? I plan on doing a few bolt ons such as exhaust, test pipes,
chip, DVs, etc. and maybe a small shot (~50) of nitrous.

2) What's the stock stall speed of the trans?

3) What controls the shifts? Is there a separate "tip chip" like you have in the Tiptronic S4s? Or, is the shifting programmed via the main chip that controls boost, timing, etc? And lastly, is there anyone that not only reprograms that chip for more boost (GIAC, Upsolute, etc.) but also for quicker shifts?

4) I understand that the X50 996TT comes with a different, beefier transmission. Is this just for manual transmission equipped X50s or does the Tiptronic X50 also come with a different tranny?

Thanks for any info!

Marc

JASCLASS 01-31-2004 02:19 PM

The X50 does indeed come with a stronger 6 speed transmission, my answer to your question is: hands down a 6 speed.

TCM 01-31-2004 02:52 PM

I would definately reccomend a 6 speed as well. Coming from a Z06, I think you will want to row your own gears in the 996tt as that is half the fun and allows you greater control over the turbos. From what I have heard, the auto cannot take much more then 500bhp.

luting_chen 01-31-2004 03:23 PM

go for 6 speed...
if you wanna mod ur car over 600hp... tip car will give u a headache and too many troubles to deal with...

SteveH 01-31-2004 03:39 PM

i guess the question is why would you even consider a tip? The only real advantage i see to the tip is if you want other people who can't drive stick (a wife possibly) to be able to drive your car. Other than that i'd say 6speed hands down.

All Boost 01-31-2004 04:17 PM

I wanted the tip because I think it will be far superior as far as drag and street racing are concerned. The thought of brake boosting that badboy off the line with AWD sounds sick! Then you don't have to worry about missing gears, hitting the rev limiter, burning the clutch up, etc. I saw one guy on this forum ("Sharkster") was running 11.6s @ 124mph with a tiptronic and just a $500 Upsolute chip! I think that's faster than any sticks have gone with just a chip, no?

But the flip side is I've read of a few people's horror stories on this forum with the tip grenading 2, 3, and even 4 times, having to be replaced under warranty. The manual transmission definitely seems to be able to take far more abuse. It just sounds like the tip responds better to mods. :(

Marc

MBailey 01-31-2004 05:14 PM

The only modded tip I am aware of is Sharkster. Iam sure he has more than an upsolute chip job now. I think its a friggin monster now. I know of no disasters with his tip.
But if you want purely a 1/4 miler there are much better less expensive cars than 911TTs. 911s are primarily designed for twistys with good acceleration for the straights. Iam no expert on drag racing but Ive heard of Buick Grand Nationals turning 9s times costing over 100Gs less than TTs.

Joe West 01-31-2004 05:16 PM

6 speed

teutonictrio 01-31-2004 05:48 PM

Easy - drive both. I was considering either when I went to drive them, and when I did, the decision was remarkably clear...

RufMD 01-31-2004 06:14 PM

6 speed all the way...

Rave TT 01-31-2004 07:48 PM

MANUAL

JASCLASS 01-31-2004 08:25 PM

Originally posted by All Boost
I wanted the tip because I think it will be far superior as far as drag and street racing are concerned. The thought of brake boosting that badboy off the line with AWD sounds sick! Then you don't have to worry about missing gears, hitting the rev limiter, burning the clutch up, etc. I saw one guy on this forum ("Sharkster") was running 11.6s @ 124mph with a tiptronic and just a $500 Upsolute chip! I think that's faster than any sticks have gone with just a chip, no?

But the flip side is I've read of a few people's horror stories on this forum with the tip grenading 2, 3, and even 4 times, having to be replaced under warranty. The manual transmission definitely seems to be able to take far more abuse. It just sounds like the tip responds better to mods. :(

Marc

The fun is in the shifting.

TCM 01-31-2004 10:19 PM

BTW, if you are planning on doing a lot of drag racing, you are better off with the Z06. The car can be modified heavily and cheaper then a 996tt and deliver better results from what I have seen. The 996tt is more of an everyday sports/super car. Either way, get the 6 speed.

LSM 01-31-2004 10:25 PM

Come on. 6 speed no question. The tip you are referring to is Sharksters. Correct me if I am wrong, but, teh car has zero clearance turbos, fabspeed exhaust, stage 4gt, among other mods. I believe he had the only tip in the shootout. Obviously fantastic car, but, I would rather have a 6 speed any day and I drive in heavy traffic daily.

Lou

LSM 01-31-2004 10:27 PM

Originally posted by LSM
Come on. 6 speed no question. The tip you are referring to is Sharksters. Correct me if I am wrong, but, teh car has zero clearance turbos, fabspeed exhaust, stage 4gt, among other mods. I believe he had the only tip in the shootout. Obviously fantastic car, but, I would rather have a 6 speed any day and I drive in heavy traffic daily.

Lou

EDIT-- Forgot to add that little thing about Sharkster's car having 640HP!!!hilarious