996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Weight Reduction... More ideas??!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:33 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Weight Reduction... More ideas??!?!

I'm looking for any other ideas/things you guys have done in order to save weight. It all adds up so I'm all ears. Already done a bunch of stuff but shoot your ideas if you would please...

Old 02-03-2004, 10:07 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
ROFL.. yeah I figured what we did was about as light as it got. Hmm maybe the AC lol?

900hp light weight car would be a monster... and a dream

PS You should have your packet soon

Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 PM
dpblessing is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Kevin
...Remove your sunroof/motor and track and weld in a replacement panel. ...
weld in, ??!?... sputter, errr... but that just ADDS weight!
REMOVE sunroof panel... reduce weight... ahhhhhh

Old 02-03-2004, 10:27 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Fleet Phospho-Soda 4-5 lbs in 3 hours

Last edited by MKW; 02-03-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
sharky, Dan the tech at Bydesign mentioned that he removed around 150lbs of carpet and sound insulation from a few turbos. They reline the interior with some light weight carpet. Sounds like quite abit but he said he mentioned that he had weighed what he removed.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Atkins Diet? 4-5 lbs in 2 weeks LOL

Old 02-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Alex,

Drive naked. Shave off all hair, head to toe. Scrub off excess dead skin too. Don't forget to clip toenails. I figure that should be worth at least 5 lbs.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:29 AM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
the carpeting Dan @ By-design used...is the RS carpet
but it requires all the leathering in the car to be removed...
I've seen it before, but I don't think u guys will like it if it's a daily driven car. it's not bad looking, but just that the car won't be as luxury as before... something u don't want to have on a daily driven turbo.
it'll save around 100lb+ for sure...

My suggestion is that unless u're really serious about tracking cars...^^ lightweight is not necessary...
b/c 100lb won't really make the difference if the only thing we do is to kick some ricer's *** on the highway... hahahaha
weight saving to a certain extend is certainly nice...but after that is a bit too over...
GT3 seats, back seats removed... carbon hood, carbon gt2 wing...lightweight wheels lightweight battery... lightweight exhaust (Titanium)
I think this is the most i'd do to a daily driven car ^^

Old 02-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I did the Atkins Diet for two weeks and lost 14
days.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Gel cell battery.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:30 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Fill the tires with helium.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
I agree with luting. With the inclusion that if you are very extreme, you remove some of the sound deadening (as I like cars that make lots of noise). But I wouldn't remove it all.

Once you start replacing window glass with plexi and removie things like A/C I think it becomes over the top. If you want to go to that extreme I would also start with some lightweight car and drop in the engine.

Like with most mods, it's all about balance.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:16 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Sell the Porsche and buy a Shelby Cobra!

Man, you start taking all the creature comforts out and you might as well not have the turbo to begin with. I say just add more power!

Old 02-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Orli930 is on a distinguished road
Have the headlights removed, if you don't know how. I can send a valet parker from Ruth Chris to show you.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:39 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
CARDIO !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction... More ideas??!?!