996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

6.68 second 60-130 mph (with heat soak and misfires)

Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
6.68 second 60-130 mph (with heat soak and misfires)

I hooked up my AX22 this evening and went for a quick spin (on my way to catch an airplane). On my first run, I had multiple/repetitive misfires – so bad that my check engine light started blinking. I shut her down before 130. If I had an ounce of brains, I would have stopped then and brought the car in for new spark plugs. However, I was hell bent on getting a 60 – 130 mph time, so I decided to immediately do it again, regardless of the misfires, and regardless of the fact that I had just heat soaked my car with the first run and a few prior WOT bursts. I immediately turned the car around and drove the same street in the opposite direction. On the second run, I continued to past 130 mph, notwithstanding the misfires and heat soak. Given the adverse conditions, I fully expected a high 7 second run at best. When I got to a computer and loaded the data, I discovered that, much to my surprise, I had run a 6.68 second time (in continuous mode).

I am confident that I can shave some tenths/hundredths off of this time by replacing my spark plugs (thereby eliminating the misfires) and running without heat soak. I am shooting for 6.5 seconds or lower. Keep in mind that I am not driving one of the light-weight (3000 lbs) 6speeds converted to RWD. Rather, I have an over-weight (probably 3600 lbs) car with a power robbing Tiptronic transmission. Put my engine in a light-weight RWD 6Speed and it would be considerably faster. Better yet, maybe I will put a 6speed in my car. Stephen?????

Todd, what spark plugs should I use? Can you send a set to LA?

All in all, I am generally pleased with the result, particularly in light of the misfires. With the right launch, the car should be able to run a low 10 second quarter mile (Sharky did 10.6 with less power) (I don’t think 9s are possible with the extra weight and drive-train loss). Nevertheless, it ain’t bad for an overweight AWD power robbing Tipronic!

BTW, I am running 1.55 bar of boost (22.5 lbs).

Jean, I e-mailed the AX22 file to your Porschespeed e-mail address for confirmation.

Regards,

Craig

Old 12-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Congrats Craig.... looking good.
You will get only faster
best,
Mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 12-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Great job, Craig. I'll post the time once Jean gives the ok.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:54 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Great run Craig. Looking forward to the results with the right sparkplugs and no heatsoak.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 AM
VRAlexander
Congrats...I will bet you dinner that you will run a 9sec. pass!!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Jean has advised me that my run did not pass his confirmation procedure. The following is his PM and my response (I appreciate Jean's confidential approach, but I have NOTHING to hide):

--------------- ---------------------

HI Craig,

Hope you are fine.

I have done a quick check on your run and I am afraid it is not good. I don't want to post on the forum, I prefer to keep this in private and you decide on how to communicate it.

Can you please tell me what gear you used for this run, your RPM limiter as well.

There are 2 ways to validate the run FYI. One is through the long Gs, which is the acceleration rate of the car, and should be consistent with other cars running similar times, and the other is through a proprietary formula that shows the slope, "real" speed vs. what the logger shows, and some other datapoints. On the AX22, this validation is very accurate and infallible.

Both tests have failed, I am sorry to say that, I never like to go back to the owner with these news.

The logger must be well attached to the windscreen, the antenna should be well positioned on the roof of the car and hooked up.

I can give you more information if you wish. I will sen dyou a graph that explains it best, but you need to give me sometime as I am very tied up at work.

Regards,
Jean

------------------- --------------------

Jean,

I do not know how to respond. I firmly placed the unit on the windshield, locked it into place, made sure it was level, placed the antenna on the roof, through the sunroof, plugged the unit into the lighter for power, calibrated the unit while absolutely stationary, then went about driving. I started in second gear. My rev limiter is stock. I did EXACTLY as the instructions stated, and EXACTLY as instructed by you and others. I am well aware that the test results can be impacted by certain things, such as calibrating while in motion, and I made sure to follow the procedures to the letter. I do not know what I could possibly do differently.

Thanks for your input Jean . . . I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to test my data file. However, there is nothing more that I can do. I followed the directions to a tee. I also did a third run that produced a time .03 higher (following a separate calibration). Perhaps the Tip does not comport with your testing procedures? I give up.

Regards,

Craig

Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 AM
VRAlexander
Craig...I had the same issue over and over again...If you slow down the car (turn the boost down) it will register correctly..I had to go down to 1.3bar and pulled a 5.9 with two granny shifts..this is the only run that Jean validated...My full boost run with one shift yielded a 3.89 and if you look at the video (time and date stamp) it matches to the 100th...but the AX-22 did not validate that run....hopefully the DBOX I just ordered will have better luck...either way, you have a 9 second car...

Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks Alex. Perhaps I will video tape my next run. I don't know about a 9 second car, but I do believe I have a low 10 second car. Thats good enough for me. A 9 second car likely requires larger turbos, less weight and less drive train loss.

Regards,

Craig

Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
The more I hear about this AX-22 the more I get turned off...
It's not like Jean comes with the AX-22 when you buy it.
Did anyone do the runs the other day at the drag strip with the AX-22?
I recall KPG stating that that's a great way of validating data....

click to view

Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 AM
VRAlexander
Markski...I ran my AX-22 at the strip and it is dead on ( + or - .5mph and .05et)!! So I have no idea why it shows differently on the street?????

Old 12-05-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
The more I hear about this AX-22 the more I get turned off...
It's not like Jean comes with the AX-22 when you buy it.
My thoughts exactly. The devise is marketed as perfectly accurate, and several magazines have confirmed the accuracy of the AX22. I followed the directions to a tee, precisely to avoid this type of issue. I wanted to make absolutely certain that there would be no basis to question the result. Jean has not told me that I did something wrong. He has not questioned the procedure that I followed. His testing does not reveal any impropriety on my part (because no such impropriety exists). I ran on a flat road, and calibrated the unit while stationary. The AX22 software from Race Technology's website accepts the data file as legitimate and valid (it will not accept a file generated by calibrating the unit in motion). And yet, my time is nevertheless questioned because of certain validation procedures that I cannot begin to understand. But for Jean's proprietary confirmation procedure, unknown to the vast majority of the world, and not referenced in the AX22 informational materials, and not cited by the reviewing magazines, my time is valid. Race Technology does not qualify the times generated by the AX22, nor state that they are subject to proprietary validation procedures. The magazines do not qualify the test results. Yet, because my g-force does not match my slope, or whatever the actual problem is, my time is put into question.

Is this frustrating? You bet it is!!! I spent almost $1,000 to buy this f*cking device and notwithstanding my scrupulous attention to detail, my time is questioned. I give up. My AX22 is officially for sale. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

BTW, none of this should be interpretated as perjorative to Jean. Jean has graciously spent a good deal of his valuable time analyzing these files. His efforts should be commended. I have no doubt that his validation procedure is supported by legitimate scientific principles (far beyond the grasp of my simple mind). I have no beef whatsoever with Jean. I am simply frustrated that the AX22, even if used absolutely correctly, precisely as instructed, yields questionable results.

Regards,

Craig

Old 12-05-2006, 05:07 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Craig
My thoughts exactly. The devise is marketed as perfectly accurate, and several magazines have confirmed the accuracy of the AX22. I followed the directions to a tee, precisely to avoid this type of issue. I wanted to make absolutely certain that there would be no basis to question the result. Jean has not told me that I did something wrong. He has not questioned the procedure that I followed. His testing does not reveal any impropriety on my part (because no such impropriety exists). I ran on a flat road, and calibrated the unit while stationary. The AX22 software from Race Technology's website accepts the data file as legitimate and valid (it will not accept a file generated by calibrating the unit in motion). And yet, my time is nevertheless questioned because of certain validation procedures that I cannot begin to understand. But for Jean's proprietary confirmation procedure, unknown to the vast majority of the world, and not referenced in the AX22 informational materials, and not cited by the reviewing magazines, my time is valid. Race Technology does not qualify the times generated by the AX22, nor state that they are subject to proprietary validation procedures. The magazines do not qualify the test results. Yet, because my g-force does not match my slope, or whatever the actual problem is, my time is put into question.

Is this frustrating? You bet it is!!! I spent almost $1,000 to buy this f*cking device and notwithstanding my scrupulous attention to detail, my time is questioned. I give up. My AX22 is officially for sale. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

BTW, none of this should be interpretated as perjorative to Jean. Jean has graciously spent a good deal of his valuable time analyzing these files. His efforts should be commended. I have no doubt that his validation procedure is supported by legitimate scientific principles (far beyond the grasp of my simple mind). I have no beef whatsoever with Jean. I am simply frustrated that the AX22, even if used absolutely correctly, precisely as instructed, yields questionable results.

Regards,

Craig
Amen! I took this a step further some weeks ago and demanded that Race Technologies validate my runs....They cam up with the same facts that Jean brought up and even asked me in an e-mail to contact Jean because they consider him an expert in AX-22 data analysis... I ordered the DBOX..and if that gives me the same issues, I am going to use both boxes as target practice for my HK MP4SD set on full auto!! Name:  flameThrower.gif
Views: 790
Size:  17.7 KB

Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Banned
FAT-911 is on a distinguished road
I ordered the DBOX..and if that gives me the same issues, I am going to use both boxes as target practice for my HK MP4SD set on full auto!! Attachment 45163[/quote]

LOL....Make sure you get that on video....

Old 12-05-2006, 05:16 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I'm really starting to dislike these GPS based accelerometers. I think the Driftbox seems to be the most accurate of the two, but again...you need an expert like Jean or KPG to validate the runs.

I do plan on purchasing a Driftbox when I return to the states as a secondary means of gathering data...but I still adamantly believe that nothing compares to the 1/4 mile dragstrip. It is THE tried and true standard for assessing acceleration capability, and if you really want to know what your car can do...take it to the track.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues, Craig. I have no doubt it's very frustrating.

Jean, as always, thanks for your honest assessment.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-05-2006 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
I can't wait to see my 60-130 number.... 8s... LOL

click to view

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6.68 second 60-130 mph (with heat soak and misfires)