996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What would you take? GT1, Dauer 962 or a Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
What would you take? GT1, Dauer 962 or a Carrera GT?

Just for fun, Porsche Exotic only.

Last edited by Shawn C; 02-24-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
GT1 does it for me, the red X in the middle is nice to.

Last edited by Rave TT; 02-24-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:57 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Do I have to choose? Oh well, I'll take the 962.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
I'll take the Carrera GT.

I had 962-113 for 15 years or so. I know it's not a Dauer 962, but it probably has a similar flavor to it.

A 962 has the turning circle of a school bus! I almost crashed mine in the paddock at Mid-Ohio when I tried to make one big swing into my rented garage bay. Maybe Dauer has re-engineered the steering geometry so this won't be a problem?

The 962 engine is not a shade tree mechanics dream. Using pump gas would need to back off the boost a whole ton from the 700-800 hp settings used on race gas. The titanium valve springs "take a set" after sitting around in the same position for a few months, so you'll need to drive it all winter to avoid a mega-bucks engine rebuild once per year.

Better not get a flat while away from home unless you can find a 200 psi air bottle to activate the air jacks. There's no slipping a floor jack under this beauty.

The 962 driving position was a little hard for me to get used to. I've compared it to the sensation of driving a half-height Chevy station wagon, but sitting in the engine comartment. It takes a while to find a way to not run over every corner apex with the rear tires. Really bumpy!

The other thing is that one needs two men and a boy just to get the 962 going if one takes it to the track. I don't always have a crew when I get a wild hair to go for a drive!

I've not driven a GT1, but watching Tiff Needel cane one around a track in a Top Gear video, makes the race version look undrivable on the street. I think I found the video over on Racingflix.

Ok, those are my reasons to pick the CGT as the best choice for me. Who wants to pile on?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:09 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
As a daily, the GT1. As a weekend warrior, BRING ON THE 962

Old 02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
well if i look at it from a practical perspective like W8MM i also have to choose the CGT.

However, since this is fantasy anyway, lets assume that there are no maintenance costs or issues associated with any of them. In that case i'd probably take the GT1 and then the 962 and then the CGT.

-Steve

Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Gotta love the 962.

But I think the GT1 gets my vote.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:12 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by PorschePhD
As a daily, the GT1. As a weekend warrior, BRING ON THE 962
i must admit, no matter how much money i had i don't think i'd enjoy daily driving a GT1. It's nice to see that you're crazy enough to do it though.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, If I had the money to buy one I would drive it. I did the no drive thing it sits in the garage for 15 years and it simply destroys the cars. Those days are over.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:25 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Carrera GT.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:29 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
If I could only have one, it would be the CGT. Technology baby!!! Got to luv it...From a collectors standpoint, GT1 streetable version, followed by the 962 for fun on the track

Old 02-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Can anyone give me a brief history of the Dauer? Porshce made a car called the Dauer 962

Last edited by Frosty; 02-24-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:34 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I believe there's a 962 sitting at Symbolic Motors in La Jolla - don't know if it's a Dauer. If the GT1 wasn't "giving birth" to a 996 I'd take it - that rear is just bothersome. So CGT it is for me!

Old 02-24-2004, 11:19 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
I'd take a GT1.

Though those Dauer 962's are virtually unbeatable on the Ring or most racetracks. Simply amazing...

Old 02-24-2004, 11:43 PM
gt3Steve is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Frosty
Can anyone give me a brief history of the Dauer? Porshce made a car called the Dauer 962
The Dauer 962 is basically a street legal version of Porsche's 962 race car. Here's a link to the Dauer 962 Brochure. The short version of the story is that Porsche realized that the 1994 rules for LeMans would allow a 962 to run once again if it were available as a street car. There was supposedly some unofficial support from the Porsche factory to create the race version of the Dauer 962 but the rulesmakers weren't too happy with Porsche noticing the loophole so they made the car run with a flat underside (unlike the shaped underside of the Porsche version of the 962). The car still won but reportedly wasn't incredibly stable at high speeds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you take? GT1, Dauer 962 or a Carrera GT?