6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2-2/)
-   -   Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/71489-official-turbo-weight-loss-thread-lightest-turbo-list.html)

jcars1990 01-26-2012 06:14 AM

great info on this thread https://fitnessgalore.info/fitness/u...39/b/happy.gif

besiktas 02-11-2012 03:23 PM

does anybody know how heavy are the turbo doors?
i found a cf one which weights 3,3 kilograms (around 7 pounds) and I was wondering how much weight would I save by doing that.

heavychevy 02-11-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by besiktas (Post 3453617)
does anybody know how heavy are the turbo doors?
i found a cf one which weights 3,3 kilograms (around 7 pounds) and I was wondering how much weight would I save by doing that.

I don't know exactly but I saved about 70 lbs switching to gutted stock doors so you would save more. I imagine 90-100.

Blockhed 02-11-2012 08:05 PM

thats some big weight savings

besiktas 02-12-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by heavychevy (Post 3453803)
I don't know exactly but I saved about 70 lbs switching to gutted stock doors so you would save more. I imagine 90-100.

70 lbs with removing the inside portion of the door?

I'm not looking to remove these parts, I was just curious about replacing the doors with CF ones (7 pounds) with remaining all the other inside parts. If it is around 20-30 pounds, that would be worth doing.

randomquickness 02-24-2012 09:28 PM

well I'm getting my suspension done next week and I imagine I'll get a total weight when they do the alignment and corner balance. If not, I'll go get it weighed at the weigh station because I don't see myself doing any more mods for a while.

rdss 02-25-2012 07:34 AM

Randomquickness we'll be waiting for your final results and pics also,please.

Blockhed 02-26-2012 12:43 PM

Anyone got a weight on Volk Te37 18x8.5/11

Blockhed 02-26-2012 12:43 PM

random, do you have a complete list of changes and deletes?

ttboost 02-26-2012 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhed (Post 3467594)
Anyone got a weight on Volk Te37 18x8.5/11

Hey Adam...try this...

http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

randomquickness 02-26-2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhed (Post 3467596)
random, do you have a complete list of changes and deletes?

sure, check my purchase/build thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-tonight.html

Steve Theodore 03-04-2012 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I'm back with my digital scale to help dispell the final myths of how much the rear wing assembly weighs. As usual, things don't weigh as much as I've read or hoped they would, but I wanted to take the time to share real numbers with you guys.

First, the rear wing hardware (keep in mind I've already removed the hydraulic pump motor and lines, you can see those results earlier in this thread).

Here is the rear wing hardware for the under-decklid supports and the supports themselves, and finally the rear wing with the support rods too. The rear wing was exceptionally hard for me to weigh as I did need to support it, but assume that 7 pounds is about right.

So, for those keeping score, as much as I hate to say it, the entire rear wing assembly altogether is about 12.5 pounds (give or take). That's for the wing assembly, the assembly which holds it up, and the hydraulic pump motor, and all associated hardware.

Sorry for the bad news to everyone who thought that it was ultimately heavier, and offered interesting weight loss possibilities to go to a fixed mount kit. I was certainly one of those people, but had to see for myself!

*EDIT* I was semi-bothered about the wing measurement itself so I tried again on a less accurate scale as myself, then myself holding the rear wing (so at least it wasn't leaning on anything). It may weigh as much as 8 pounds as a result of that measurement. Still, I'd put the range of the entire rear assembly between 12.5 pounds and 13.5 pounds for every single required part. So, not even 15 pounds complete. The semi-good news is that you can really tell that the rear decklid feels lighter without all the wing mechanism installed, so at least there is something to look forward to there! ;)

Steve Theodore 03-30-2012 06:44 AM

Does anyone know much about the 'GT3' rear cross member? I was reading on another thread that it is aluminum compared to the standard 996TT steel rear cross member. Obviously, if that is true, sounds like a weight loss opportunity, but I'm unaware of the details involved. Can anyone debunk this? Thanks!

heavychevy 03-30-2012 10:27 AM

Steve, that's a good question, I would be interested in knowing this as well.

As for the wing, I posted some time back, can't remember if in this thread or not, that the rear wing on the Turbo is REALLY light. You'd need an ALL CF decklid and wing to save much weight. Once you see the lengths Porsche went though to keep the weight down, but still have a car built like a tank, it's pretty amazing.

Although I would have rather added a few lbs and had better attachments on the cooling system.

BlackHorseTurbo 04-11-2012 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dez,

I weighed my car recently after the Texas Mile. 1/4 tank of gas. 3240lbs
I could be well under 3140 with one seat, the bar, and harness removed and add a 5lb light weight battery.

With the following in place:
2 Rottec CGT seats (recline able 28lbs each)
1 Agency Power roll bar with cross brace (44lbs)
Status 5 point harness (8lbs)
1 Fire extinguisher
1 red top Optima battery (25lbs)
HRE 18" C20r wheels
Brembo GT-r Brakes and rotors
Straight Pipes (15lbs)
Front floor mats

With the following removed:
Stock seats
rear seats (belts in place still)
Spare tire and tools removed
Front drive and drive shaft