996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
A/C compressor including fuel cooler is 16.7lbs. Refrigerant is about .7lbs and the front A/C radiators are estimated at 4lbs each. I will post an accurate figure when I pull them out. Total A/C delete is right at 25lbs. This is leaving the aluminum lines in place (they are very light) thus making it easily reversible.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-03-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 AM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Refrigerant weight is 8-850 grams dude if you tried to egt 7lbs in it the sytem would explode.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
A/C compressor including fuel cooler is 16.7lbs. Refrigerant is about .7lbs and the front A/C radiators are estimated at 4lbs each. I will post an accurate figure when I pull them out. Total A/C delete is right at 25lbs. This is leaving the aluminum lines in place (they are very light) thus making it easily reversible.
Originally Posted by johnny.dangerous
Refrigerant weight is 8-850 grams dude if you tried to egt 7lbs in it the sytem would explode.

He had it right. There is a decimal point in there. POINT 7 lbs...3/4 of a pound...

Old 07-14-2015, 03:45 PM
drabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of lightdrabux is a glorious beacon of light
Just a side story to this. I used to be a sub-elite marthoner at 6ft 1" and 147 lbs. Due to injuries, I gave up running last year and took to weights. I'm now 45lbs heavier. That meant my car has lost about 7 bhp and so I've honestly gone around the car looking for things to remove to compensate. Or I could turn the boost up by 0.05 bar

Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Too bad the original post is not updated, I measured my car today at 1440kg = 3175lbs with 3/4 fuel.

If tank size is 64 litres, full tank would be around 0.75*64= 48kg = half of that 24kg of --> Car should be 1416kg with 1/4 fuel = 3120 lbs which would show a top spot for the very outdated list. Nothing crazy compared to this GT2 for example: http://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-g...ml#post3096659

When I change to my other wheels I should get another 10.5kg (23lbs) off as well. (OZ Ultraleggera --> BBS FI)

Happy with the result as car is street legal car with some heavy parts (for example heavy Techart body kit as seen from Willy077's post, full roll cage etc.)

Biggest weight savings include RWD, lithium battery, carbon bonnet, carbon roof, rear seat delete and some other savings here and there.

Nothing totally crazy, car has 19" wheels, full roll cage, big brakes, big turbos, LSD, 6-point seat belts, all airbags, air/con, all crash bars etc. in place.

So far I have chosen the parts with a "weight loss per spent euros" excel file based on measured/estimated weight savings and the approx. cost.

Also have considered where the parts are located for optimal handling...

There would be a lot of places to save a lot of kilos but will keep this as is and do some track days next

Last edited by Kaizu; 07-30-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Too bad the original post is not updated, I measured my car today at 1440kg = 3175lbs with 3/4 fuel.

If tank size is 64 litres, full tank would be around 0.75*64= 48kg = half of that 24kg of --> Car should be 1416kg with 1/4 fuel = 3120 lbs which would show a top spot for the very outdated list. Nothing crazy compared to this GT2 for example: http://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-g...ml#post3096659

When I change to my other wheels I should get another 10.5kg (23lbs) off as well. (OZ Ultraleggera --> BBS FI)

Happy with the result as car is street legal car with some heavy parts (for example heavy Techart body kit as seen from Willy077's post, full roll cage etc.)

Biggest weight savings include RWD, lithium battery, carbon bonnet, carbon roof, rear seat delete and some other savings here and there.

Nothing totally crazy, car has 19" wheels, full roll cage, big brakes, big turbos, LSD, 6-point seat belts, all airbags, air/con, all crash bars etc. in place.

So far I have chosen the parts with a "weight loss per spent euros" excel file based on measured/estimated weight savings and the approx. cost.

There would be a lot of places to save a lot of kilos but will keep this as is and do some track days next
AGREE , I AM AT 1399 KGS WHICH IS 3084 LBS AND WITH ROOM TO IMPROVE

Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
http://www.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/Ca...s___clear.html

some additional weight saving as well .

Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Kaizu

Which brand Carbon hood do you have? I want one.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:16 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
When I sold my car, I calculated that it weighed 3150, but never got to weigh it. The new owner should weigh it, it was pretty light. I kept a spread sheet of the weight loss I did.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
I think i should, I have been meaning too. The only weight reduction i have done was add a pair of GT3 euro seats, And instal a x pipe exhaust system which weighs nothing ( never weighed it but you can hold it with one finger if i remember correctly)

Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Factory heated seats weigh about 65lbs each. Not what the new seats weigh, but you can do the math. I seem to recall that FVD exhaust weighed 35lbs. I used the factory dry weight of 3395 as a base for my spreadsheet. So the 3150 was dry/empty weight. I estimated that I removed 240lbs from the car total. With your new seats, that probably adds another 100lbs or so. Carbon hood MIGHT save you another few lbs. Every pound you lose from here on out will be hard earned. If you can be 3200 with you in it, that's a pretty light street car. People spend THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS to get lighter than that. Go back 15 or 20 pages in this thread....it's all here...good luck. Hope your enjoying the car.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Has anyone tried or considered these lightweight rebars?

http://store.gsrautosport.com/gsrbum...bumperbars.htm

Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
Has anyone tried or considered these lightweight rebars?

http://store.gsrautosport.com/gsrbum...bumperbars.htm
I called the company the rear support will not fit.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 PM
ilelihanen is an unknown quantity at this point
Want to trim some weight off of your turbo? You arent alone. This thread is for detailed inputs on weight reduction for the 996 Twin Turbo. Please no guesstimates or they wont be added to the list.

Last edited by ilelihanen; 07-29-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:26 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
OEM hood: 32lbs, 04oz

Typical CF hood: 10-13lbs.

Net savings: 19-22lbs

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List