996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Old 09-14-2016, 11:45 AM
mienene is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't get a chance to weigh all this stuff I removed,... I think it's more than 38lbs. didnt' seem that heavy while removing individual items but once everything was removed it seemed to weigh much more than 38lbs.

Last edited by mienene; 09-14-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
It's a bit sad to me that this terrific thread hasn't received much love lately. I'm happy to say that I just bought another 996TT earlier this year and so I'm back in the game and always looking at weight reduction.

From my research the switch to a factory 'GT2' style roof saves 27 pounds on a 996TT equipped with sunroof. I have the new roof and will eventually quantify this when I have my currently sunroof equipped car converted to solid roof. Not a huge amount of weight obviously, but definitely in the right place to make a good and noticeable difference. I'm also in touch with a local carbon fiber manufacturer and am going to see if they could scan and build the rear bumper beam and supports out of carbon as a special project. There should be significant weight reduction potential there, but likely at high cost as a one-off.

Cheers to all my weight weenie friends, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
How the hell am I also the last update to this thread? LOL! Where are the other weight weenies?

Verified scale weights (my digital scale is only good to .5 pound increments):

Rear seats and all hardware (does not include actual seat belts, but does include seat belt receptacles): 22 pounds
Spare tire/tools: 34 pounds
OEM CD changer: 4 pounds
Spare tire inflator: 3 pounds

Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
It's a bit sad to me that this terrific thread hasn't received much love lately. I'm happy to say that I just bought another 996TT earlier this year and so I'm back in the game and always looking at weight reduction.
Long time man! Hope all is well with you. Why another 996?

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Long time man! Hope all is well with you. Why another 996?
Sorry, thought I already replied to this (I had mentally). Although I've owned my GT3 RS for 5.5 years now I have always missed my old 996TT and had the means to add another one to my stable. When a friend listed a Carrara White example (my GT3 RS is also this color) I figured it was fate, and I bought the car last summer. I've really enjoyed having a 996TT again, possibly even more the second time around. I have a saying about 911s that goes something like 'the older they get, the more I like them' and the same statement seems to apply to cars I have already owned, meaning I love the 996TT even more now than when I bought my first in 2009.

I hope you're doing well old buddy!

Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, thought I already replied to this (I had mentally). Although I've owned my GT3 RS for 5.5 years now I have always missed my old 996TT and had the means to add another one to my stable. When a friend listed a Carrara White example (my GT3 RS is also this color) I figured it was fate, and I bought the car last summer. I've really enjoyed having a 996TT again, possibly even more the second time around. I have a saying about 911s that goes something like 'the older they get, the more I like them' and the same statement seems to apply to cars I have already owned, meaning I love the 996TT even more now than when I bought my first in 2009.

I hope you're doing well old buddy!
agree completely- I’ve tried a lot of cars and last was a gorgeous 7.2tt with every option but it wasn’t engaging and any mod to make it mine was 2x the 6tt in the end. I bought Sambos car and we have it down at SpeedGallery getting further sorted. Hoping this is a keeper but my 4th 6tt!

Old 04-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
agree completely- I’ve tried a lot of cars and last was a gorgeous 7.2tt with every option but it wasn’t engaging and any mod to make it mine was 2x the 6tt in the end. I bought Sambos car and we have it down at SpeedGallery getting further sorted. Hoping this is a keeper but my 4th 6tt!
Super stoked for you my friend! In an odd twist of fate since my last post, I had an opportunity to go after a 997 GT2 and went for it. I sold my Nissan GTR and Porsche 996TT for this dream of having a GT2 and GT3 RS, and I'm nearly there.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Super stoked for you my friend! In an odd twist of fate since my last post, I had an opportunity to go after a 997 GT2 and went for it. I sold my Nissan GTR and Porsche 996TT for this dream of having a GT2 and GT3 RS, and I'm nearly there.
AMAZING ultimate collection there! Congrats- something we all would hope to aspire to. I’ve always said GT2 for the win. I loved my GT3 but didn’t have the push of the turbo- you have the ultimate!

pics please-

Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 PM
You can be sure I will, and thank you for your kind words my friend.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 AM
TheDeckMan will become famous soon enough
Got a chance to get some weights of the rear bumpers.

Stock 11.4lbs
Carbon 5.0lbs

Name:  r3qlS7A.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  413.8 KB
Name:  N2tw87B.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  406.8 KB

Old 09-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Carbon rear bumper beam? Sweet! Who made it for you?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 AM
TheDeckMan will become famous soon enough
Carbon rear bumper beam? Sweet! Who made it for you?
Steve,

Got it off Marcus, he makes them over in Germany and then ships them back state side.

-Noah

Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 AM
blue35tuesday is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TurboX50Basalt
Hood emblem delete -2.7 ounces (guessing).
i spent all day reading this entire thread, and this, this made me actually laugh aloud *claps*

Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 AM
Plexiform will become famous soon enough
Went through this whole thread. Good stuff! A 3k pound 996turbo might be the best bang for the buck car ever.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:06 AM
marcphilip is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear wiper blade and motor 3.4 lbs
spare tire & air compressor 28 lbs
OEM exhaust without tips 54.6 lbs