996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks guys..........I'm really looking forward to getting into these cars without blowing up my motor!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 AM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
And are the CF hood weights including the struts for the hood being removed or are the factory hood struts still used?
You can't use the factory lifters because they're too strong. You need to use the ones for the CF GT3 hood (though that doesn't change the weight appreciably).

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Tubi Style exhaust(first gen) : 35.2lbs
Stock Exhaust : 57.6lbs
net loss 22.4lbs

Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Updated.

Guys check this out http://www.suprahardtopregistry.com/

Click on Curbweight calculators. That is pretty awesome, not that you couldnt do the math yourself, but still cool.

Al Norton - I cant remember if the weight you gave for the clutch setup was for the difference in the sachs and stock? I didnt put it if it was. Help me out.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Updated.

Guys check this out http://www.suprahardtopregistry.com/

Click on Curbweight calculators. That is pretty awesome, not that you couldnt do the math yourself, but still cool.

Al Norton - I cant remember if the weight you gave for the clutch setup was for the difference in the sachs and stock? I didnt put it if it was. Help me out.
Stock clutch, pp and dual mass fw = 46#
Sachs clutch, pp and GT3 RS lwfw = 28#
Savings= -18#
The savings in in the fw. Stock = 30.5#. GT# = 12.5#.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is on a distinguished road
What kind of weight savings did I get from going from an OEM 996TT decklid & wing to a GT2 CF wing & decklid?

Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
What kind of weight savings did I get from going from an OEM 996TT decklid & wing to a GT2 CF wing & decklid?
12-15 lbs

BTW, My car, with everything listed, is still a FATASS...still weighs 3556 with driver(180 lbs) and half a tank...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Frankenporsche is on a distinguished road
I'm at 2813 with 10 gallons of fuel and full cage allt he way to the shock towers - but its brutal to get there - we're probably good for another round by getting rid of the stock rotors and heat shielding in back on the bumper cover -

So I'll finish up around 2750. The motor on pump gas at 1.2 bar puts 523 to the wheel.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Wow. You'll end up with a car at the minimum for the GT2 ALMS Porsche GT3's which I believe to be 2750. I don't know of anyone with a 2750# 996tt. I think their 2750 is with no fuel but allows fluids for drinking and cool suit.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Wow. You'll end up with a car at the minimum for the GT2 ALMS Porsche GT3's which I believe to be 2750. I don't know of anyone with a 2750# 996tt. I think their 2750 is with no fuel but allows fluids for drinking and cool suit.
That's about the right flavor, and about as practical as well - but it's been an interesting experiment - probably move to juice the motor next - but I think the real gain is from race fuel, and I like pulling up to the pump still - we have an M600 motec controller moving the electrons around including the variocam - and reading the electronic dipstick on the motec display in digits, rather then a bar chart just to be kind of trick - we'll do another round of chassis tuning this spring -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FrankinTurbo-16edit.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	52846  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Yikes, I'm drooling right now. Ohhhhh the people I could pwn in that car.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Frankenporsche..........Can you list and explain all your weight reduction mods?..............cheers, Gman

Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sker66
Frankenporsche..........Can you list and explain all your weight reduction mods?..............cheers, Gman
delete front bumper and mounts (add cup car tow hook)
delete ac cores (use one radiator fan on passenger fan for street use)
composite hood
delete fuel fill crap (use 100 litre fuel cell with dry break)
delete one wiper and part of wiper assembley (same as cup car)
add cup car electronic relay kill switch
use cup car windshield (thinner unit)
delete interior (use motosport dash w/ reduced support material)
delete wiring harness, use front and rear motorsport unit and custom engine harness
use plastic rear window (limited value on this)
use composite rear deck and cup car wing, keep engine compartment fan for street use
delete doors and side windows, use cup car doors with frames, cup car side mirrors
delete sunroof
delete rear bumper and mounts (the mounts are heavy, but if you keep a bumper you can get aluminum units from porsche motorsports), again use cup car tow hook
use GT2 aluminum rear cross member
delete front wheel drive, switch to cup car transmission
delete stock shifter, use cup car shifter and cables
delete street headlights with washers and use motorsport units without washers
delete heater (you can use a motosport unit is you want a defrost fan)
delete stock engine mounts and trans mount and go solid mount motorsport units on engine and trans (you need this anyway to help with the handling
usual bushings, cradle relocation, etc. as in cup car
all suspension should be cup car, or fabcar units if you know what you are doing (we do not - so I stuck with cup car units to simplify chassis tuning)
use moton or jrz units
use cup car rear side windows with vents
delete air injector, all other crap on motor - use motosport pieces to fill in the blanks as you take stuff out

I'll think of more later - but it has been a good experiment

Old 11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Frankenporsche
delete front bumper and mounts (add cup car tow hook)
delete ac cores (use one radiator fan on passenger fan for street use)
composite hood
delete fuel fill crap (use 100 litre fuel cell with dry break)
delete one wiper and part of wiper assembley (same as cup car)
add cup car electronic relay kill switch
use cup car windshield (thinner unit)
delete interior (use motosport dash w/ reduced support material)
delete wiring harness, use front and rear motorsport unit and custom engine harness
use plastic rear window (limited value on this)
use composite rear deck and cup car wing, keep engine compartment fan for street use
delete doors and side windows, use cup car doors with frames, cup car side mirrors
delete sunroof
delete rear bumper and mounts (the mounts are heavy, but if you keep a bumper you can get aluminum units from porsche motorsports), again use cup car tow hook
use GT2 aluminum rear cross member
delete front wheel drive, switch to cup car transmission
delete stock shifter, use cup car shifter and cables
delete street headlights with washers and use motorsport units without washers
delete heater (you can use a motosport unit is you want a defrost fan)
delete stock engine mounts and trans mount and go solid mount motorsport units on engine and trans (you need this anyway to help with the handling
usual bushings, cradle relocation, etc. as in cup car
all suspension should be cup car, or fabcar units if you know what you are doing (we do not - so I stuck with cup car units to simplify chassis tuning)
use moton or jrz units
use cup car rear side windows with vents
delete air injector, all other crap on motor - use motosport pieces to fill in the blanks as you take stuff out

I'll think of more later - but it has been a good experiment
^^^What about the spare tire, rear seats and sub?^^^

Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by TXGold
^^^What about the spare tire, rear seats and sub?^^^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List