996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Cayenne Driving Experience in New York

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:38 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Porsche Cayenne Driving Experience in New York

I was invited to and attended the Porsche Cayenne Driving Experience at Shea Stadium in Corona, New York. The event was sponsored by porsche and was meant to educate those in the market for an SUV of the incredible performance of the Cayenne.
The event was set up in two areas, the off-road and the on-road. The off road area Ahad moguls, rock climbs, hills and a banked turn to expose the virtues of the Porsche's ability to provide agile terrain handling ability all under complete control. I was really amazed at how we could stop dead on a 45 degree incline without pressing on the brake and then continue with ease.

What is more amazing is the handling and performance on the autocross track that was set up on the performance side of the event. Each participant was given the opportunity to drive the S and then follow it up with a drive in the turbo. Although not quite as fast as my 996TT, this SUV is nothing short of incredible taken in the context of SUV-dom. I went through the autocross course which incorporated a straight line acceleration run, a panic maneuver, s-turns, hairpins, etc. and walked away very impressed.

It looks like one of these will have to be in my future.......

Here are some pics......

Notice back left wheel off ground in this one:

Old 08-09-2003, 11:12 AM
alamein is on a distinguished road
great pics ... and finally a good use of Shea stadium

Hoping to pick up a Cayenne within the next 2 months too.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Poursha is on a distinguished road
I test drove a Cayenne S the first weekend they were released--just for kicks, since I'm not a suv person (unfortunately the 1 turbo at the dealer had a flat tire). I must say I was very impressed. Although with as high up as you are, there's no mistaking that you're in a truck, it handled really well. I was on a highway cloverleaf testing the handling, and the sales guy kept saying "go ahead, push it as hard as you want, there's plenty more" and I couldn't believe how well it handled, although I must admit that sitting that high up I was convinced we were going to roll it over.

I also really liked the interior design. This one had full leather interior, which is a must, since the plastic dash has this horrible basketball-type texture.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:55 AM
BCS996TT is on a distinguished road
Great to hear positive feedback on Cayenne!

I'll be getting one as well. Still deciding if the Turbo is worth the money. Afterall, this will be my wife's daily driver...however I will use it occassionally...more often if it's the turbo

Ken...Did you notice a significant difference in handling between the S and the turbo?

Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
I am not well versed in the Cayenne in terms of options. Therefore, I do not know if they were similarly set up in terms of suspension. I will say the thrust the turbo puts out is truly amazing considering the size of the vehicle. I was told it has 450hp. Both versions seemd to handle equally well. I was amazed at how easy it was to put it through its paces on the autocross track. Now I will toot my own horn.....The pseudo instructor in the car with me during the Turbo test drive complimented me on my smooth and precise handling of the car. He said he has seen all types of driving that day and was very impressed with mine. That made me feel pretty damn good!!