996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 carbon fiber hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
I want to make myself clear: Don't buy this thinking you're getting a Benetec quality dry CF hood. You're NOT.

The quality is better than the price suggests, the quality is not better than what magical CF fairies from Hogwarts Racing(tm) can conjure up.

It's a nice weight savings, it's a tight weave, it's a flat gel coat. That's it.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
I want to make myself clear: Don't buy this thinking you're getting a Benetec quality dry CF hood. You're NOT.

The quality is better than the price suggests, the quality is not better than what magical CF fairies from Hogwarts Racing(tm) can conjure up.

It's a nice weight savings, it's a tight weave, it's a flat gel coat. That's it.
how much weight?

and also why only 99-02 turbos

Last edited by heavychevy; 07-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM
SallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the roughSallyMobile is a jewel in the rough
16 lbs.

Stock hood is 31 lbs.

BTW, the design underneath is similar to stock (you can pop your stock hood to see the bracing design). The hood flexes easier than stock when you're pushing on the tip to lower it, which is why you need the GT3 CF hood lifters.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I have the Gemballa and the fit and finish is great, I dont have the same complaints as User SallyMobile, how ever its almost 10 x the price....not worth it IMOH..

I would post a pic, but i havent been able to upload any for months..

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
PM AMGETR (Evan) here on the board he has one for sale I think.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SallyMobile
I have one. Seems ok so far, though I haven't had it long enough to evaluate color stability under prolonged sunlight. Weave is tight, though not 100% straight and regular (none are, IMHO). Color is even across entire hood. Gel coat is flat and without blemishes or swirls. Edges are rolled under, but can be polished better. It's too light for the stock hood lifters, but the GT3 CF hood lifters work well. One of the bolts included with the purchase was the wrong size, but I think they corrected it.

sorry, off-topic....what badge is that on your hood adn where did you get it? Thanks!

Also, back on topic....thanks for the info on your CF hood....looks very nice in the picture!

M

Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Frankenporsche is on a distinguished road
thanks for the replies

Thanks to all for the replies - I'll probably go with the inexpensive deft racing hood since at $345 its hard to go wrong - I've got a home for it on a couple of race cars if the quality is bad - by the way, I've got sevceral sets of front brake pads for the 4 piston 996 turbo calipers - pagid orange, performance friction, etc. if anyone want them - also two oil filters for the last generation M5 - let me know if anyone wants them -

Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
NMT
Former Vendor
NMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to behold
We have carbon hoods in stock. 2 options for ya.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor
LARennsport will become famous soon enough
The CF hoods at Speed Gallery are the best and lighest I've seen. They are all CF not a mix or blend of materials and f'n light! Good price for what you get. No affiliation to SG, just seen the stuff when I was there using the bathroom....

Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Weight and price of said hoods please.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Scott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant futureScott in SS MD has a brilliant future
I have a VIS CF on my 03 Cobra. You are more than welcome to drop by and get a look at it. Bought it online from www.Cruizinconcepts.com The shipping group screwed up the first one and VIS had a replacement here with another shipping firm within 5 days of my order rejection.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
LARennsport will become famous soon enough
I think the CF hood at SG is between 1k -$1.5k. Nick would be the right guy to PM on it.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
How much does it weigh....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Oh ****! waiting for someone to chime in.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
AnakChan is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm wondering how the DEFT hoods have withstood the test of time. 3 years later, do the DEFT CF hood owners still feel they've made the right choice or would they have wished they had gone to some other brand (VIS, Seibon, GettyDesign, etc.) if they could do it all over again?

Can any of the DEFT CF hood owners comment please?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 carbon fiber hood