996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Aftermarket radio install pictures

Old 12-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Gary in BR is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket radio install pictures

My next mod will be of an aftermarket head unit, I was hoping that those of you that have done this could post pictures of the units in the Porsche or at least let me know what units you like.

I am looking for something that could pass as OEM. I still like my XM so that is a must. and of course the slew of MP3 formats would be good also.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Gary in BR; 12-24-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:09 AM
asialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura aboutasialors996 has a spectacular aura about
i decided to keep my OEM head unit after finding an Ipod dock that replaces the ashtray...it plugs directly into where the CD changer would...i am also going to tap my Sirius Satellite Radio into that plug.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
My next mod will be of an aftermarket head unit, I was hoping that those of you that have done this could post pictures of the units in the Porsche or at least let me know what units you like.

I am looking for something that could pass as OEM. I still like my XM so that is a must. and of course the slew of MP3 formats would be good also.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I like the Kenwoods...best Nav, best iPod integration, and great sounding units...

Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
This works nice also nav, ipod etc all the goodies plus I can match the interior lights. It's the Pioneer D3

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:50 PM
co79 is on a distinguished road
Here's mine. Kenwood DNX-7100.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:23 PM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mother
This works nice also nav, ipod etc all the goodies plus I can match the interior lights. It's the Pioneer D3
Looked at the Pioneer units and there were a few things I didnt like...the Nav was not as good, and the iPod integration was not as well done as the Kenwood....

Old 12-25-2007, 09:06 PM
kcphuah will become famous soon enoughkcphuah will become famous soon enough
What do you mean the NAV is not as good, is it not as user friendly? I am thinking of the Kenwood DNX7100 or the Pioneer Z2, but I heard the pioneer has a number of features the kenwood does not offer, such as the performance measure feature ( i don't know what it is called exactly, but it gives you the 0-60, rpm reading and etc.) and you don't have to eject the cd or dvd and insert the NAV disc when you need to search. Please chime in with more comments as I am comparing these models. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Mother will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by newport996
Looked at the Pioneer units and there were a few things I didnt like...the Nav was not as good, and the iPod integration was not as well done as the Kenwood....
Yes, I agree they all seem to all have there goods and bads. For me the nav was not as important and would not use as much, the deciding factor was the matching of buttons and it did not have the folding faceplate which could mean less problems down the road.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by kcphuah
What do you mean the NAV is not as good, is it not as user friendly? I am thinking of the Kenwood DNX7100 or the Pioneer Z2, but I heard the pioneer has a number of features the kenwood does not offer, such as the performance measure feature ( i don't know what it is called exactly, but it gives you the 0-60, rpm reading and etc.) and you don't have to eject the cd or dvd and insert the NAV disc when you need to search. Please chime in with more comments as I am comparing these models. Thanks.
Kenwood uses Flash based NAV, no Nav disks...so its FAST...Yes I mean the Nav is not as user friendly...and the iPod integration in the Kenwood is just like having the iPod on your touchscreen display, the Pioneers is a little clunky. No the Kenwood doesnt give you engine data...but do you want your head unit to? I though that was a huge gimmick. Not sure if the Pioneer has it, but the Kenwood also has traffic Nav capabilities...so it can tell you not only how to get somewhere, but re-route you in case of accidents or traffic so you get to your destination the fastest.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:18 PM
co79 is on a distinguished road
The choice is yours but I can tell you this, there's no need to insert a nav disc for the Kenwood. It's built-in the unit.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
I prefer the Pioneer Avic D3 because of the volume ****. Not that it is better but more of personal preference. I also like the fact that my iphone will work flawlessly with audio and video on my Pioneer. Does anyone know if the Kenwood support iphone with video support?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM
johnnytaboo is on a distinguished road
nine9six,
Is the unit you have one with a fold-out screen? I was wondering what people did when their AC controls were mounted up high as opposed to down low on the later models.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
nine9six will become famous soon enoughnine9six will become famous soon enough
The Avic D3 is not a fold out screen. It is just a double din unit with the cd slot on the top. the only downside to this is the screen is smaller than units with a fold out / fold down screens.

from what I have seen, most people mount their fold up screens at the stock cd player location so it only blocks the A/C controls.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:07 PM
stretchc4s is on a distinguished road
Pioneer AVIC120 WTG Install

some nice installs - D3 and Kenwoods look great - I have an 04 C4S and have a Pioneer AVIC 120 waiting to be installed-looking for good installer in Minneapolis/St. Paul area? Any suggestions appreciated

Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
adelaide1981 will become famous soon enough
Here's mine - and in relation to the ipod dock...if you're using an iphone for audio you're way better off using bluetooth and not having to plug the phone in for your music.

I am super happy with the Pioneer navigation.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio install pictures