6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Local CGT Hit... Driver at fault Ben was it you? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/11446-local-cgt-hit-driver-fault-ben-you.html)

SANDOVAL 06-12-2004 11:23 PM

Local CGT Hit... Driver at fault Ben was it you?

This was taken from my 968 board, the guy writing the post is a Sales guy at Pioneer, he has been on the board for years so I would have to say it is 100% true... I am trying to get some pics.
Ben do you know anything about this :(

As I drove my new 911 in to have a child seat installed you will never guess what I saw sitting in the detail bay. I had seen this car in the showroom the day I took delivery so when I noticed it siting in the detail bay I just sort of glanced at it. If I wasn't so giddy about my own car I certainly would have paid closer attention.

Pioneer Centres Porsche in San Diego delivered its' first of 7 Carrera GTs' last Wednesday. The owner wanted one of the mechanics to drive it off the lot with him for the first drive. After which they switched drivers and the owner took the wheel. As they were returning to the dealership the cars owner stalled the car at a stop light. The truck following expected the car to take off and hit the Carrera GT so hard on the rear left side as to cause close to $100K worth of damage. The cars owner got out of the car and said to the guy driving the truck "DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!! YOU JUST HIT A CAR THAT COST ME NEARLY HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!!!! I guess the truck driver just stood there speechless, mouth wide open, eyes filled with utter horror. His only excuse apparently was he thought the Carrera GT would just "flat take off".

I guess there are two lessons to be learned here. For the guy driving the truck, never attempt to keep up with a Porsche especially a Carrera GT while driving a truck. No matter what you will come out looking pretty stupid.

Lesson #2 for the Carrera GT owner, if you can afford to buy this car you can afford to have it transported to a safe place to learn to get it out of first gear.

TRUE STORY!!!

matterhorn762 06-12-2004 11:27 PM

Looking forward to the "wrecked exotics" photos.

ben, lj 06-12-2004 11:30 PM

Nope, not me. Mine is not due until November and it's coming from Kansas. Besides, I know how to drive :-). Damage estimates on Rennlist were $200k and the guy is said to have a $6k/mth lease. I bet it takes a year if there is any chassis damage. After giving full effect to (enormous) diminished value, the truck driver's insurance should probably just total it if they're stuck with $200k + $72k lease (12 months) +$100k diminished value.

20C4S 06-13-2004 12:46 AM

:eek: i'm with the truck driver..... speechless!

JASCLASS 06-13-2004 04:40 AM

The car will have to be put in a container and shipped back to PORSCHE in Germany for repair.

MetalSolid 06-13-2004 05:12 AM

How is that the CGT driver's fault??

JASCLASS 06-13-2004 05:19 AM

Originally posted by MetalSolid
How is that the CGT driver's fault??
Exactly, I read an article that the car is difficult to get out of 1st gear, I have not driven one personally to have experienced it.

Origyns 973 06-13-2004 07:39 AM

I read in one article that one of the editors that was taking it for a test drive wasn't able to start it in first with out screeching the tires atleast a tiny bit.

TUUNER 06-13-2004 07:41 AM

I'm gonna have nightmares tonight because of this story...

:(

T

ben, lj 06-13-2004 07:46 AM

"How is that the CGT driver's fault??"

well it won't be the driver's fault when it comes to picking up the tab, but "the cars owner stalled the car at a stop light" which no doubt helped the accident occur given the truck driver rightly figured the CGT would continue the motion it started instead of stopping cold.

Fanman 06-13-2004 08:15 AM

Originally posted by ben, lj
"How is that the CGT driver's fault??"

well it won't be the driver's fault when it comes to picking up the tab, but "the cars owner stalled the car at a stop light" which no doubt helped the accident occur given the truck driver rightly figured the CGT would continue the motion it started instead of stopping cold.

Righteuosly it is the CGT's driver's fault, but the law will go against the truck driver. In law you have to anticipate occurences like this. They will find that he was following too close and side with the CGT driver.

Holger B 06-13-2004 08:41 AM

I'm told that here in CA 25% of the drivers have no insurance. If the truck driver is one of the other 3/4, I wonder if he's even got enough coverage to pick up the whole tab. Of course, the CGT driver should have enough "uninsired motorist" coverage to handle it, but it sucks for you to have to pay for someone else's mistakes.

If you hit someone else from behind, you're always at fault.

ben, lj 06-13-2004 11:59 AM

"Of course, the CGT driver should have enough "uninsired motorist" coverage to handle it,"

it is a common misconception that uninsured motorist covers property damage to your car should the at fault party not have adequate coverage. to the contrary, uninsured motorist is for medical only.

dbelleperc 06-13-2004 07:33 PM

Originally posted by ben, lj
to the contrary, uninsured motorist is for medical only.
Well with Farmers insurance, uninsured motorist paid for damage to my aunt's vehicle from an accident that the other party gave false information to her. But I am sure that it also depends on the company that insures you.

dbelleperc 06-13-2004 07:34 PM

That does suck about the CGT I hope it can be fixed.