6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Newbie - where to go in Northern VA for a good mechanic? (thank you!) (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/174399-newbie-where-go-northern-va-good-mechanic-thank-you.html)

DeskJob1 06-04-2009 06:35 AM

Newbie - where to go in Northern VA for a good mechanic? (thank you!)

Thank you for reading -

Should have found this site prior to purchasing on e-bay~:eek:
I've been reading the posts for sometime now - what a great forum.

Having a wonderful time in my 99 C2 Tip, but having a lot of little issues.
Can anyone please suggest a good mechanic with a reasonable rate in northern Virgina?

Thank you so much!

deckman 06-04-2009 08:25 AM

Deskjob, I suggest you ask this question in the mid-atlantic section.

DeskJob1 06-04-2009 05:11 PM

Thank you deckman!

bcr4d 06-04-2009 07:09 PM

Try Interstate Performance in Tyson's Corner. Ask for Charlie or Omar. Number 888-543-6455

DeskJob1 06-05-2009 03:34 PM

Thank you!

Thanks for the info.

perryinva 06-08-2009 08:19 AM

I can tell you to NOT use Auto Authority. Overpriced and not impressed in the least.

Teuton 06-08-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bcr4d (Post 2412751)
Try Interstate Performance in Tyson's Corner. Ask for Charlie or Omar. Number 888-543-6455

Did you mean Intersport? They are in tysons. I've used them in the past. Good group and reasonable.

adg44 06-08-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by perryinva (Post 2416970)
I can tell you to NOT use Auto Authority. Overpriced and not impressed in the least.

I thought they went out of business a long time ago? Or they merged with pitstop performance.

I remember when they were trying to break into the VW/Audi scene with their chiptuning back in the day. Never quite made it...

- Anthony

eduncan 06-09-2009 02:46 PM

no va repair shop

for most all repairs IMA is very good and honest

DeskJob1 06-10-2009 05:47 AM

Thank you all for the info.

Just registered 4K miles of my own - lv this car's handling.
Now if I can just save enough money to install a SC~

pjalexandre 06-10-2009 07:03 AM

Notice that you are in Springfield. Try German Auto Group in Springfield. Taylor Chapman is an independent that sublets a workshop there and does only P-cars. He is up on the 996/986 cars and has done an engine swap for one of the local track rats. He put a 996 3.4 into my buddies boxster. I use him for any jobs that I can't or don't want to do myself.

http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer. Highly recommended, feel free to tell him that I sent you his way. -Paul

Originally Posted by DeskJob1 (Post 2419554)
Just registered 4K miles of my own - lv this car's handling.
Now if I can just save enough money to install a SC~

justinmm2 06-10-2009 07:22 AM

It's hard to go wrong around here!

Second the IMA recommendation if you're doing track work; these guys know their stuff.

If you're near Dulles ever/at all, Funktion does good stuff. Similar to IMA, the owner is a track junkie, and a really, really nice guy!

The dealers may be more expensive, but they do have some very good techs, as well. They've been a little slow sometimes, but since I typically get a discount on the work, I don't usually mind. And sometimes they're downright snappy. I remember taking my C2 in for a CEL once and having a new engine freighted from Germany in by the end of the week.

Only questionable experience I had was when I sold my last 911, the buyer did a PPI at a shop right off of Fairfax Circle, can't remember the name. I had to scratch my head a little when I saw some of the things "found"...

Now, if you want a BMW shop to stay away from...

DeskJob1 06-12-2009 06:47 AM

Thank you All~ Got thumbs up from a biker

What handling...

The otherday, I was taking an exist near the 395-95-495 mixing bowl that curves just about 360..

A sportsbike was in front of me, slowed down before the entrance and gave me a turn around to follow him, he leaned hard and rode as fast as he could around the crurves and I was right behind him with my C2 till we both came out of the exit... The biker was impressed I suppose and came next to the driver's side and gave me a big thumbs up before we went our ways!

A former Ninja rider myself - I love this car's handling!
Aside from blinding accelerations, I almost don't miss my bike anymore.

Thanks everyone for feedback on the shops!