6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   996 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-11/)
-   -   Winter driving? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/18496-winter-driving.html)

zerofighter 11-15-2004 11:30 AM

Winter driving?

How many of you 996 C2 owners driver your car in the winter? with winter tires of course.

How does it handle, is it fairly similar to a bmw in terms of winter handling. The C2 is rwd, am I correct?

Thanks!

ben, lj 11-15-2004 11:43 AM

Re: Winter driving?

Originally posted by zerofighter
How many of you 996 C2 owners driver your car in the winter? with winter tires of course.

How does it handle, is it fairly similar to a bmw in terms of winter handling. The C2 is rwd, am I correct?

Thanks!

I've always driven mine year round with the summer tires.

zerofighter 11-15-2004 11:45 AM

Even with the snow on the ground?

dbelleperc 11-15-2004 11:46 AM

Ben, with all of the snow we get in So Cal. we really need to watch out for the slick icy roads.:D

zerofighter 11-16-2004 11:22 PM

Come on guys, I know someone has to atleast have tried it, if not does it daily.

daily996 11-17-2004 08:14 AM

I want to know too. But when I talk to the p-car service guys they said, if the car have PSM and snow tires should be okay.

mziegler38 11-17-2004 10:25 AM

I have a 740iS which has a DSC system very simillar to my 2003 C2 Cab PSM. I put 4 snows on it for the winter, dropping the wheel size from 18" to 16", and it's a terrific snow car. I don't use the 996 in snow but imagine that with the same wheels/tires setup and PSM it also would be terrific. Only caution is if the snow gets too high for the ground clearance.

CoreyNJ 11-17-2004 01:10 PM

I will be trying this for the 1st time this year. I bought a set of winter tires and plan on driving my C2 w/psm on a daily basis, rain, shine or snow.

I can tell you it was night and day on my boxtser w/psm the way it drove with summer tires vs. winter tires. I would never drive below 32' even in the dry without winter tires.

At 40' which is what we are getting most of the time now in NJ, I feel my summer tires aren't gripping well at all, almost like the feeling of bald tires in a rainstorm.

Good luck and I'm sure I'll post how the C2 does after the 1st snow storm.

Cheers,
Corey

ElusiveC4 11-17-2004 01:35 PM

I have snow tires on my 996 C4....im here in Calgary as well so as you know we get a decent amount of snow... seems to be alright after the initial snow.. however I would take extra caution on ice.. especially as yours is RWD. As always... if there is too much snow.. probably better to drive a second winter "beater". Thats what I do on the nasty days. Good Luck.

zerofighter 11-17-2004 04:13 PM

Originally posted by ElusiveC4
I have snow tires on my 996 C4....im here in Calgary as well so as you know we get a decent amount of snow... seems to be alright after the initial snow.. however I would take extra caution on ice.. especially as yours is RWD. As always... if there is too much snow.. probably better to drive a second winter "beater". Thats what I do on the nasty days. Good Luck.
Ah, great to hear from another calgarian. I don't have it yet, I am just doing some research on it before hand.

CoreyNJ: I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

RBenedon 11-17-2004 07:35 PM

Re: Winter driving?

Originally posted by zerofighter

Thanks!

Had a 996 Carrera-4 last winter that I drove to Mammoth Lakes Several times. Stock tires and never had problems on snowy roads - I had a set of S-Class Clearance tire chains that I never had to put on. Still have the chains if you are interested.

daily996 11-17-2004 08:14 PM

No C2 driving on snow in the past? Please share.

ElusiveC4 11-18-2004 11:29 AM

zerofighter: if you are still in the looking stage of getting a 996 i would definitely recommend going with a C4 as opposed to the C2. Then you wont have half the worries when it comes time to drive on icy roads if you have winters on. Before I had the 996 I had an Audi A4 with quattro and the all wheel drive has a huge advantage in the winters. Just my .02

zerofighter 11-18-2004 04:10 PM

But what are the price difference between the two?

CoreyNJ 11-18-2004 05:19 PM

It's not the price, but the weight difference...

The C4 weighs enough more to effect performance, and the 4 wheel drive does not make up for it.

Why are porsche's highest performance cars (gt2, Carrera GT) 2 wheel drive... Weight/performance