996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

1999 996 Tiptronic trouble. I'm at a loss!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think I would try to find the closest Porsche mechanic and get the transmission serviced. Hopefully somebody in Arkansas can point you in the direction of a reputable mechanic who will ease your mind a bit.

This whole thread is a bit odd to me. The original poster from 2010 had three different mechanics, including a Porsche dealer, tell him that he needed transmission service, and he doesn't know what to do??? Get the transmission serviced for crying out loud! I'm not sure what kind of magic he was hoping to find here...

Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM
tjhavens is on a distinguished road
Both of the mechanics I went to were certified Porsche mechanics. I had the trans service with no improvements. I've found while looking on the web that several people are having this issue but no one has an answer. Its weird because there are no codes showing, car drives and shifts fine, its just annoying as hell. Guess were all just hoping someone will give us the miracle (cheap and easy) fix.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Interesting...

Hopefully if it's a common problem, you can find a fix.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM
tokyopav is on a distinguished road
Does it happen in reverse?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Jtown1973 is on a distinguished road
I have a '99 cab tiptronic with 92,000 miles with the same (or similar) problem. In every gear under 2,500 RPM's, the tach jumps up and down 200 RPM's every second or two. It feels like the torque converter lockup clutch is engaging and disengaging until 2,500 RPM's, and then it stays locked and everything is fine. No warning lights or codes. The car is currently at Jackie Cooper Porsche in Tulsa. They're checking it out now but have not determined the cause of the problem yet. I'll post any results that they come up with.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by valley996
I am afraid I don't know what is wrong. I have been to an import mechanic, the local Porsche dealership and Aamco. All say it is the transmission. The bad part is there are no codes showing. When I am driving between 1500 and 2500 rpms there is a surging. It does it in each gear. It is also worse as it is pulling a grade. I am completely lost on what to do. I would appreciate any help or advice?

89,000 miles

TESTS - Porsche Dealer -.
1. He did a 89757 internal malfunction test with piwis tester - none registered.
2. fluid level - good.
3. tested MAF - good
4. tested for power and ground on TCM module - good
5. removed torque converter lock up wire and test drove- good
6. checked fuel pressure - good
7. no codes in vehicle
8. solenoid circuits are intact and complete
9. No Tiptronic codes
----He said the main line pressure for transmission fluid control loses pressure on and off which is a sign of a weak solenoid.

You say at 2 that the fluid LEVEL is good but what about the actual fluid itself. Is that the original fluid? I don't know but fluid of all kinds must go bad at some stage. Can it be completely changed for new fluid? Would that solve the problem? That seems like the obvious first move. Probably a DIY job. Its easy for a mechanic to say the fuel pressure is good. But is it? I wouldn't trust a mechanic as far as I could throw him from what I have learned since getting this car. I changed my gearbox oil today and that was pretty easy to do. Mine is Manual. It can't be much harder to change (or can it).......Read up on the best oil for the job and try it.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM
alanwestport is on a distinguished road
If I may be so bold as to weigh in when I personally have a stick shift? Please? First, I'm not a mechanic by trade. Second, getting advice on your transmission from an Aamco or a run of the mill trans shop is like bringing your Rolex to Walmart to have the battery replaced. All kidding aside, find a shop that has a dyno (4 wheel dyno if you have a 4 or 4S) so that they can put your car under a load. They can then do an emissions test to see what comes out of the tail pipe when it starts to complain. If the numbers aren't normal, then you have an engine problem. It's possibly the O2 sensor BUT it might also be something as simple as a rotten vacuum hose! With the age of the car, that is a very real possibility. I joked a bit but I truly hope this proves to be helpful. Alan

Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Da4s is on a distinguished road
I have a 2002 4S which was having increasing frequency of transmission issues over the past 6 months (until a month ago when I got it fixed). The dealer had no idea what was wrong because there were no error codes and wanted to replace the entire tranny. My car would become jerky in certain situations like slowing down on an exit ramp getting off the highway or downshifting through 3rd gear. The car ran well for years, but then problems became more frequent and recently unbearable.

I'm not sure for the 99, but there was apparently a service memo issued by Porsche regarding a known TCU (Transmission Control Unit) issue, at least in the 02 4S. The new updated unit has improved mapping and fixes some dysfunctional programming. The part runs about $1750. The TCU is located in the backseat on the passenger side behind the panel. That replacement with some new transmission fluid and my car runs better than new!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Jtown1973 is on a distinguished road
The dealer in Tulsa said they found quite a bit of metal shavings in the bottom of the pan when they were servicing the transmission. They went ahead and flushed the transmission and torque converter and test drove it, and the problem went away for a short time but returned. They said it is time for a new transmission.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:01 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
New from porsche will run around 8-9 k installed. You can get a rebuilt one and gamble. You can get a used one for a few k and gamble, but should be ok. If low miles. You can send it to Freddie's transmissions in Denver and will be around 5 k. Those are the options as far as I am aware. I ended up getting a new one from porsche and installed, plus taxes plus transmission mount (might as well) it was 9.5k. A couple if years ago and not throug dealer but through my Indy. Interestingly enough, e got a brand new one from the dealer, installed it.... And it was defective. He had to take it off, ask Porsche for new one, and he did eat the cost of replacing it. Porsche did not cover his labor to replace their defective unit.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:36 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RDykmans
I'm also new around here and have a 99 Tip also (which I just picked up). Mine has 86K miles and is due for it's first service at 90K (or at least I'm assuming it's first as I didn't get records). Is the surging you mention at a somewhat constant throttle? I haven't noticed anything like that at this point but am interested in everybody's findings.

Rich
Unlikely that a Porsche, at 90K, hasn't had some, or most, of the services done. Original owners certainly take care of scheduled service (too much invested). Usually only later owner's who neglect maintenance and pass it on to future owners. My advice is have everything done and protect your investment. That is what should be done with any used car purchase.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:39 AM
Tallpaul66! is an unknown quantity at this point
Did anyone get a resolution to this issue - similar fault with mine surging when driving but not when idling. Gearbox serviced and issue went away but returned after about 600miles. Car is a Tip, C4 2000 with 75k. Thanks

Old 08-11-2018, 08:11 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tallpaul66!
Did anyone get a resolution to this issue - similar fault with mine surging when driving but not when idling. Gearbox serviced and issue went away but returned after about 600miles. Car is a Tip, C4 2000 with 75k. Thanks
You will need a Durametric to read transmission fault codes. A regular ODBII reader won't do it. A dealer or transmission shop will have diagnostic tools that may help. My 2000 Tip is slipping a bit in 4th gear. They told me to live with it for now but that I'll eventually need a rebuild for about $6k. An alternative would be to buy a used one for about $2k but that can be risky.