996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Realism needed for first purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
lifetimedream is on a distinguished road
Realism needed for first purchase

Brand new to 6speed. Looking for my first Porsche. Would like a dose of realism before I start my search. I BELIEVE I am looking for:
  • 911 Coupe 4
  • Budget is up to $40,000
  • Needs to be in great shape as my skills are LIMITED

I say BELIEVE above because that is my starting point before I test drive and learn more.

Here is where I need help.

Is my goal realistic given my budget?
What year(s) should I be looking at to fit into this budget
Any other suggestions as I am brand new to this.

THanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
look into c4s. the wider body gives more stablity. and it looks neat.

jb

Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
sfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to allsfarris is a name known to all
Boxster S?

Originally Posted by lifetimedream
Brand new to 6speed. Looking for my first Porsche. Would like a dose of realism before I start my search. I BELIEVE I am looking for:
  • 911 Coupe 4
  • Budget is up to $40,000
  • Needs to be in great shape as my skills are LIMITED
I say BELIEVE above because that is my starting point before I test drive and learn more.

Here is where I need help.

Is my goal realistic given my budget?
What year(s) should I be looking at to fit into this budget
Any other suggestions as I am brand new to this.

THanks!
My friends made fun of it for being a "girly car" but my first Porsche was a Boxster S. Great handling, fast and inexpensive. My wife has a newer one now, and it goes better than my C2 in the twisties. Could be that she is just a better driver than I am! 07 Boxster S cost less than my 03 911 C2 and had more toys.

Welcome to 6Speed, and let us know what you get!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:39 PM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
A good, reasonable-mileage example of 911 is certainly realistic on a $40K budget.

You'll pay more for a C4 than for a C2, both initially and in maintenance, all else being equal--so you may want to consider the C4 only if you plan to drive the car in cruddy winter weather (you can likely get a one year newer C2 than C4 for the same money). You may also want to consider a Certified Pre Owned (CPO) car, which will come with a warranty and a thorough dealer inspection supporting the condition of the vehicle.

Regardless of what ends up catching your eye, get a thorough pre-purchase inspection by someone not associated with the seller. This is especially important if you opt for a non-CPO car.

Your budget slots you into a 2003-2005 model year car, depending on mileage and options. Take a look at kbb.com, edmunds.com and ebaymotors to get a feel for what you're likely to get for your money.

Also...check with your insurer to get a feel for that; it is never cheap. Factor that and regular maintenance ($200 for an oil change, once/year; $1000 on up for a set of tires, every year or two depending on mileage; etc.) into your budget to ensure you can maintain the car in tip-top shape. You'll preserve the "fun" factor and car's value best if you maintain it religiously per the factory service schedule.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Saberist is on a distinguished road
Totally Do-able

I had similar requirements when I was searching for my new-to-me 996. Although I'm a bit of a gearhead, I don't have the time I used to have to devote to my cars. I'd always wanted a 911, but I had to find a car that wasn't going to require any work and wouldn't give me the performance upgrade bug.

As stated in the previous post, you can get some pretty good deals for $40K, if you're willing to buy one with an "average" number of miles on it. I purchased my CPO 2003 C4 Cabriolet with 50K miles for a couple of grand less than that, including taxes. Given the concerns over potential RMS and IMS (known issues related to the 996), I thought the two-year 100K warranty was worthwhile. Other cars that I actually went to test drive in the same range included a 2002 TT Tip going for about the same amount and a pristine 2002 C4S with only 15K miles going for about $45k. I still see a couple of C4's listed in my area (Tampa Bay, FL) in the same price range that you're looking at. (As an aside, I really enjoy the C4's all wheel drive. I've owned various rear and 4 wheel drive sports cars, and prefer the additional traction and security I feel when pushing 4 wheel drive cars around corners.)

I really enjoyed my CPO experience. It felt just like purchasing any other high end car, even though it was pre-owned. I felt that my salesman really took care of me and my wife during the process. The dealer also provided excellent follow-up with the minor issues I identified during inspection (which were either covered under warranty or, I suspect, absorbed by the dealer as a gesture of goodwill). You may want to consider contacting your local dealer, if they have a good reputation, and asking if they will search for a CPO outside of your area if they don't presently have one. The transport cost isn't that much.

Hope this helps, and good luck! The search is a big part of the fun!

Saberist
2003 C4S Cabriolet

Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
rrrruben will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 02TX996Cab
A good, reasonable-mileage example of 911 is certainly realistic on a $40K budget.

You'll pay more for a C4 than for a C2, both initially and in maintenance, all else being equal--so you may want to consider the C4 only if you plan to drive the car in cruddy winter weather (you can likely get a one year newer C2 than C4 for the same money). You may also want to consider a Certified Pre Owned (CPO) car, which will come with a warranty and a thorough dealer inspection supporting the condition of the vehicle.

Regardless of what ends up catching your eye, get a thorough pre-purchase inspection by someone not associated with the seller. This is especially important if you opt for a non-CPO car.

Your budget slots you into a 2003-2005 model year car, depending on mileage and options. Take a look at kbb.com, edmunds.com and ebaymotors to get a feel for what you're likely to get for your money.

Also...check with your insurer to get a feel for that; it is never cheap. Factor that and regular maintenance ($200 for an oil change, once/year; $1000 on up for a set of tires, every year or two depending on mileage; etc.) into your budget to ensure you can maintain the car in tip-top shape. You'll preserve the "fun" factor and car's value best if you maintain it religiously per the factory service schedule.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the forum.
+1

Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
Drive both the C2 and C4 before making up your mind. When I was looking I also though I wanted a C4. A friend of mine (PCA drivers ed instructor) suggested that I might enjoy the C2 more. I went a bunch of test drives - turns out he was right!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Are you looking for manual or tip? If tip and want to push it, I'd stay with 4S as it uses the same tip than the Turbo, which i stronger than the standard carreras. The engines in the 4S's do not have the failure issues that standard carrera engines might encounter.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
If you are interested in a Tiptronic I know of an absolutely solid and well maintained 996tt in midnight blue/grey leather for $38,500. Seller is looking to unload quickly to get into an F-car. Let me know if you're interested... In this market $40k will buy a LOT of car. Happy hunting.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
That sounds like a deal. Turbo much better than any other, in reliability as well. Turbo tip the tip is reliable as well.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 AM
trackjunkie is infamous around these parts
get 996tt don't bother with the lower ones unless your budget is less

Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Altaran will become famous soon enough
For 40K get a turbo coupe. Best thing you can get for the price. Turbo has the better engine (GT1 Block with real dry sump).

If you don't necessarily want to spend all your budget or you just like naturally aspirated, look into a C4S.

Just test drive some cars and pick out your favorite.

Good Luck and have Fun.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
if you can spend up to $40k there are some 996tt's in this for sale section of this site that even have an extended warranty still available on them.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Troy Jollimore is on a distinguished road
Are you looking for manual or tip? If tip and want to push it, I'd stay with 4S as it uses the same tip than the Turbo, which i stronger than the standard carreras. The engines in the 4S's do not have the failure issues that standard carrera engines might encounter.
Tarzan, where do you get your info from? From all of my research, the only thing the 4S has in common with the Turbo are the wide hips. All the rest is the same as the Carrera 4 (including the engine...).

Old 09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iJeremy
If you are interested in a Tiptronic I know of an absolutely solid and well maintained 996tt in midnight blue/grey leather for $38,500. Seller is looking to unload quickly to get into an F-car. Let me know if you're interested... In this market $40k will buy a LOT of car. Happy hunting.
Originally Posted by tarzancoe
That sounds like a deal. Turbo much better than any other, in reliability as well. Turbo tip the tip is reliable as well.
Originally Posted by trackjunkie
get 996tt don't bother with the lower ones unless your budget is less
Originally Posted by Altaran
For 40K get a turbo coupe. Best thing you can get for the price. Turbo has the better engine (GT1 Block with real dry sump).

If you don't necessarily want to spend all your budget or you just like naturally aspirated, look into a C4S.

Just test drive some cars and pick out your favorite.

Good Luck and have Fun.
^ +1
+1
+1
+1

Moral of the story? Look into a 996TT. You CAN find one for under $40k. It is better for so many reasons...

But ultimately, you have to make this decision. Let us know what you get. Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Realism needed for first purchase